South Mimms to Galashiels, best route?

Been a while since I was last in Scotland, & don’t ever remember going to Galashiels, just wondering what the best route is? Been looking at the map & the obvious route is up the M1, then join M6 & follow that through to Carlisle, j44, then up the A7.

Any advise appreciated.

Straight up the A1 if its scenery you want and in no rush :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

dont go anywhere near the A1/metro centre the roadworks are a nightmare

chaversdad:

It’s a nightmare when there ain’t any roadworks but they make it 10 times worse.

m1/m6/a7 job done

You are the Captain of the ship. Go whichever way takes your fancy at the time (within reason of course), it’s always worked for me.

chaversdad:

Its still the better option. M1 is littered with roadworks, M6 is a car park from J4 right up to Manchester. So I’d gladly put up with a delay on the western bypass if the rest of the route is clear.

sayersy:

chaversdad:

Its still the better option. M1 is littered with roadworks, M6 is a car park from J4 right up to Manchester. So I’d gladly put up with a delay on the western bypass if the rest of the route is clear.

The A1 goes through the Black Cat Roundabout outside Bedford which also has huge delay potential, as well as several other roundabouts in Bedfordshire. However, north of Huntingdon it’s all go until north of Newcastle. I’d avoid the M1 as there are two big sets of roadworks which will slow you down considerably.

the a1m has a couple of junctions closed and mile after mile of average cameras and 50 limits. so i would avoid that.

Couple of ways, M1, M6 then up the A7, or M1, M18 onto the A1, then up the A68 from Newcastle, I think the first way would be quickest.

qwakers:
the a1m has a couple of junctions closed and mile after mile of average cameras and 50 limits. so i would avoid that.

I used to use the A1 sometimes when coming back from Rotherham to London last summer. There’s only one or two cameras north of Huntingdon, except in the roadworks just south of Worksop. Most of the trucks I saw were doing more than 50mph.

trust me i did 3/4 of the length of the a1(m) all the way from cornwall to liverpool and back on saturday night. it is nearly all 50.

Cornwall to Liverpool and you used the A1M?

the maoster:
Cornwall to Liverpool and you used the A1M?

He might be on his way to work on that 45 pence per mile scheme !!! :smiley:

qwakers:
trust me i did 3/4 of the length of the a1(m) all the way from cornwall to liverpool and back on saturday night. it is nearly all 50.

:smiley:

qwakers:

lost? :laughing: :laughing:

qwakers:

You’re wasted on the road. Get a job as a planner in a large transport office, you’ll fit in well there. :open_mouth:

A1 every time,
the roadworks@ Western bypass are not too bad except maybe in the busy rush hour.

M1/M6 is a balls :exclamation: :exclamation:

Sit@ 53mph in average speed cameras and you’ll have nothing to worry about. :wink:

qwakers:

Have you been on a dCPC course in truck navigation recently?

A1 to Darlington then IF you are light jump on A68 heavy go up to Newcastle Airport on the A696 Airport to Galashiels under 2hrs at 50mph