South Circular strikes again

I had to make an unexpected diversion through Lewisham and Blackheath with every bugger else because of that berk. No fun at all at four in the afternoon :imp:

Doggage:
I had to make an unexpected diversion through Lewisham and Blackheath with every bugger else because of that berk. No fun at all at four in the afternoon :imp:

Yep, it ain’t the south circular that struck again, it’s said berk that managed that.

the nodding donkey:
Double stacked bog roll… that’ll be a minimum of 15’ trailer, more likely higher. The rapscallion needs his head checked.

I can understand “clipping” a bridge, if your height is marked as say 15’, and the bridge is marked 15’ . Sure, you slow down, but you can expect to fit under. But taking a 15+ trailer under a 14’‘6’ bridge is lunacy.

*unless your yard is at the other side of a 14"9’ marked bridge, in a dead end industrial area, and all your companies trailers are 15’ or even taller…

Are you sure , I picked double stacked bog roll ( I’m sure it was bog roll ) out of essisity Trafford park & they were mostly ct/ tct tri which were 14 ft 6 , I’ve dropped ct/ tct tris in there and taken a empty xet/ tet 13 ft tri out of there , I remember there being ht tris in there ( 15 3 ) but ct/ tct 14 6 we’re definitely used on those double stacked loads

Change of subject , but London related , I came out of London to limehouse tunnel recently , now I’ve always gone through it but unless I’m reading the signs wrong , they’ve changed you now can’t go through them , you have to turn left just before them , is that right
I was in a rush , short of times , so I’m guessing I’ve not read the signs right

I’ve not hit a bridge but I’ve had days where my mind has been on things far more important to me that the height of a bridge / height marker ,who knows what was going on in his mind ,
I remember heading for Leigh Delmare services to take a phone call from a consultant , he rang 15 mins early , after we talked my mind was all over the place , I honestly can’t remember driving to the services , never mind parking up ,
My brother was dieing of mnd , my mind was all over the place , you try to put it out your mind , but you can’t , I rembrrvsitting in the services in tears , all over the place
I guess I’m getting older & softer , more compassionate, I don’t want him to loose his job , ZB me who hasn’t made a mistake / or 2 / 3 ,

dozy:
Change of subject , but London related , I came out of London to limehouse tunnel recently , now I’ve always gone through it but unless I’m reading the signs wrong , they’ve changed you now can’t go through them , you have to turn left just before them , is that right
I was in a rush , short of times , so I’m guessing I’ve not read the signs right

When i first started driving i used to go in and out of london that way i dont remember the signs but looking at google maps i remember going on east india dock road so would avoid the tunnel

cooper1203:

dozy:

When i first started driving i used to go in and out of london that way as it was the way i was shown. i dont remember the signs but looking at google maps i remember going on east india dock road so would avoid the tunnel

Bypassed this bridge many a time.

I used to run with a 14’9" trailer, often thought of trying to go under it, always decided to go round it and be sure of getting to the other side without incident!

It is approximately a 10 minute diversion.

Off A205, Baring road A2212, Downham Way, Bromley Road A21 and vice versa.

dozy:

Its just hazadous loads that cannot use Limehouse Link (Orange plate).

Slightly off topic, Darfould bridge at Worksop got hit today by a B&Q wagon
youtube.com/watch?v=uFRrtC0LsZs
The driver was a new pass licence holder from the Redhouse (Doncaster) depot

peirre:
The driver is a newly unemployed licence holder.

FTFY :smiley:

robroy:

peirre:
The driver is a newly unemployed licence holder.

FTFY :smiley:

:laughing:
What a way to start your career :unamused:
There’s a reason new drivers aren’t given deckers where i work!

I just don’t…

Understand the disconnect involved. The total lack of awareness, despite firms putting up posters all over the walls, ‘check your height’ written on defect sheets and run sheets and then blindly driving past all the signs.

I just don’t get it.

peirre:
The driver was a new pass licence holder from the Redhouse (Doncaster) depot

Obviously didn’t hear the chains hanging from the warning barriers thumping against the roof…

toonsy:
Obviously didn’t hear the chains hanging from the warning barriers thumping against the roof…

I can’t possibly speculate that a non hgv mobile phone app was used to navigate, or that the microlise mapping was ignored

yourhavingalarf:
I just don’t…

Understand the disconnect involved. The total lack of awareness, despite firms putting up posters all over the walls, ‘check your height’ written on defect sheets and run sheets and then blindly driving past all the signs.

I just don’t get it.

I don’t get it either….
The irony is that the company is currently having a bridge awareness campaign with the office covered in posters and all manner of materials that you can’t fail to miss, also they’re even asking the drivers to watch a video and take an online multi choice test which they must pass (100%), if they don’t they keep taking it until they do get 100%

peirre:

toonsy:

I can’t possibly speculate that a non hgv mobile phone app was used to navigate, or that the microlise mapping was ignored

yourhavingalarf:
I just don’t…

I just don’t get it.

I don’t get it either….
The irony is that the company is currently having a bridge awareness campaign with the office covered in posters and all manner of materials that you can’t fail to miss, also they’re even asking the drivers to watch a video and take an online multi choice test which they must pass (100%), if they don’t they keep taking it until they do get 100%

I’m starting to think…

There’s a great deal more to this than just stupidity (which is my go to response for bridge hitters).
Something cognitive isn’t happening. Something in the brain just isn’t connecting like it should. It’s not about people’s IQ, it’s about someone’s ability to relate what they’ve been told on numerous occaisions, to what’s actually going on at 45mph right outside their windscreen.

A sort of Schrodingers cat/bridge question.

I think I’ve only driven that way in once or twice as otherwise on the A57 from M1 or A1 but I recall significant effort being put into warning before junction and bridge.

I would expect a number of trucks coming the opposite way would have spotted the imminent danger and been on the horn/ lights to the guy?

Is there a problem for some people giving their full attention to the drive and ‘passing the time’ with handsfree calls and the like perhaps?

yourhavingalarf:
I’m starting to think…

There’s a great deal more to this than just stupidity.

My initial thought was that the guy had been using a mobile phone satnav app for navigation. Even running bobtail I instinctively don’t go that way
I’d initially saw the truck in a lay-by hooked up to the wrecker between Wilkos and the A1 roundabout yesterday afternoon and thought WTF!!! A few curious questions later on and I found out that it was a newbie working out of Doncaster, a quick googlefu and it came up as a (*cough, cough) top hit on YouTube. No doubt after the investigation is done more will be known what went off.

Is that the driver stood under the bridge on the phone with the hi-viz on?

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
Is that the driver stood under the bridge on the phone with the hi-viz on?

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

Looks like a woman to me. Possibly she has arrived (from the depot? - I’m not familiar with the geography) in that car parked on the left. I reckon the driver is the bearded bloke standing to the rear of the trailer attempting to control the traffic.