Sorry DCPC again

Sorry, its been asked before i’m sure but as its been a long time since I’ve been on here, its a case of finding it.

As my PCV deadline has now passed for the DCPC, and I have until next September for get 35 hours in for my LGV, can anyone confirm how much is different for the two?

I’ve looked around and cant find a definitive answer but have seen this on an FAQ:

"I hold both LGV and PCV Driving licences will this mean I will be required to undertake 70 hours of training every 5 years?
No, the new directive states that the holder of a vocational licence for either LGV, PCV or both need only complete 35 hours course attendance in a five year period."

Now reading this, am I right in assuming that the LGV DCPC will now cover me for my PCV DCPC?

Again, I’m sure peeps get really miffed at answering the same questions, so I’m sorry, :unamused:

DCPC hours can count for both LGV & PCV so when you complete the 35 you will get back your PCV commercial driving entitlement

I assume you have acquired/grandfather rights for both LGV & PCV so when you do complete the 35 before 09/09/2014 you will get a DQC - driver cpc card - expiry dated 09/09/2019 for both LGV & PCV

The terms LGV and PCV cover all categories with C or D in them respectively so are not specific to one category such as C and not CE

Thanks Rog, I had heard conflicting answers back in 2009 and as I haven’t had the licences, haven’t been able to attend or afford to get them.

Its really good to see those traffic lights again, lol, thanks loads. :slight_smile:

Actually, seeing as I now live near to you, can you recommend any reasonably priced courses?

Darby Flyer:
Thanks Rog, I had heard conflicting answers back in 2009 and as I haven’t had the licences, haven’t been able to attend or afford to get them.

Its really good to see those traffic lights again, lol, thanks loads. :slight_smile:

Actually, seeing as I now live near to you, can you recommend any reasonably priced courses?

DATA ACADEMY were doing the drivers hours and tacho course for under £50 last I knew

Thanks again Rog. I am assuming that’s £50 per 7 hours.

EDIT: Yep, spoke before I asked lol. £50 per day. :slight_smile:

Darby Flyer:
Thanks again Rog. I am assuming that’s £50 per 7 hours.

Yes - so £250 if you do it 5 times to get the 35 hours but very boring

Assuming the price has stayed the same…

They do have other courses but I do not know the prices so perhaps worth a call next week :bulb:

Make sure any quote you get includes VAT and upload fee because many state courses are say £40 then you get £8 VAT and £8.75 upload fee added

I can recommend Logistical Support just north of Leicester (Old Dalby) http://logistical-support.co.uk/, was £50 a session when I did mine with them. I think he’s put up his prices slightly from what I heard - Perry is the boss there and if you talk nicely to him he may do you a deal.

Bit far for you but I’ve done 21hrs here
jmsafetytraining.co.uk/
& you get a bacon butty if it’s a Saturday course,£45

Again, thanks chaps.

I need to get back into work first but when I know what’s going on money wise, I’ll be looking to do a session a month.

I am under the impression that not all JPAUT trainers are LGV and PCV qualified to deliver courses for both.Some are one or the other.Some are both.
Also not all courses are accepted for both.For instance,ADR courses cannot be used towards PCV DCPC,whereas drivers hours or first aid would be.
Unless someone knows different.

disgo:
I am under the impression that not all JPAUT trainers are LGV and PCV qualified to deliver courses for both.Some are one or the other.Some are both.
Also not all courses are accepted for both.For instance,ADR courses cannot be used towards PCV DCPC,whereas drivers hours or first aid would be.

A DCPC trainer does not have to hold a LGV or PCV licence or any licence at all to deliver courses

You are correct about some courses only counting for either LGV, PCV or both

Did’nt say they had to have a license ,but to be registered as an LGV,PSV or both as a trainer with JPAUT.

I had dcpc training from a guy who knew nowt about buses ,but that didnt matter listening to his waffle counted for the card.I know a bus driver who has done 3 modules on tachos although he never uses tachos in the service bus.A lady has done a course on roping and sheeting although she drives a mini bus.What a useful qualification to have.As none of the drivers are young we all have C1 on our licences .

disgo:
Did’nt say they had to have a license ,but to be registered as an LGV,PSV or both as a trainer with JPAUT.

There is not a dcpc LGV trainer or a dcpc PCV trainer - just a dcpc trainer

disgo:

Some courses do have joint approval & can be sat through by both sets of drivers, however, even if the course is only approved for LGV sector such as an ADR course for instance…providing the PCV driver has at least C1 entitlement (upto 7.5 tonne), then he can sit course & it will count on Periodic Training record. I’ve also read somewhere that both sector’s courses are interchangeable between LGV/PCV (and the system doesn’t recognise a difference) - but probably wouldn’t risk it - unless I had minimum C1 entitlement.

Here is a comment from a JAUPT employee with regard to this matter;

“Theoretically speaking, a driver can sit on a course from either sector, regardless of the license that they hold. It is expected that a driver receives 7 hours of training that is conducive to his/her profession, however the system will not stop an LGV only license holder from accruing hours obtained through a PCV only course.”

The DSA/JAUPT cannot stop a PCV only licence holder attending a course approved for LGV only and vice-versa. However if an auditor attended and saw a PCV licence holder (with no C1 etc) on an LGV course it would result in negative comments on the audit report.

I have a coach driver here today attending a HGV only course. I have advised him not to but he has a pressing deadline to obtain his DQC and needs to attend a course today so doesn’t much care.

shep532:
I have a coach driver here today attending a HGV only course. I have advised him not to but he has a pressing deadline to obtain his DQC and needs to attend a course today so doesn’t much care.

Exactly…I think this happens regularly…and who’s to say that the coach driver will be in his current role for next 5 years…nothing to stop him driving 7.5 tonners in future job!!! It may happen!!! Some PCV drivers are doing 5 x modules ASAP regardless of title/content in order to gain their DQC ASAP, this is also bound to happen or is already happening in the LGV sector - especially as the deadline draws ever closer.

Even in correct sector there are many unsuitable modules being attended i.e. 8-wheel tipper/aggregate/sugar beet drivers attending Load Safety DCPC module. Content includes ratchet straps, chocks, chains, spring bars etc…not relevant at all to their current job role. So an element of box-ticking taking place. You can’t discriminate as they might be driving curtain-siders in future (unlikely I know■■?). Also many companies are not embracing the training as they are just sending driver’s on any old module - especially when they are quiet - even if it’s a repeat module, 2nd, 3rd or 4th time over■■?
There is much room for improvement all round I think!!!