Sorry - another DCPC question

I was chatting to a mobile mechanic who has a class 1 and he claims he was told by VOSA he doesn’t need to do the DCPC, but we were sure they have got that wrong.

He thinks he drives commercially; he takes vehicles on test or to the MOT station, - it’s his business, ok he doesn’t need a tacho in but is he exempt from the DCPC?

And anyway isn’t the DSA who set the rules on this not VOSA?

I can see an exemption for a mechanic in a dealers workshop, but he is a sole trader working out of his van, and he thinks he could so easily cross the line he is going to do his DCPC.

What are the thoughts of greater minds than mine?

gazzaman58:
I was chatting to a mobile mechanic who has a class 1 and he claims he was told by VOSA he doesn’t need to do the DCPC, but we were sure they have got that wrong.

He thinks he drives commercially; he takes vehicles on test or to the MOT station, - it’s his business, ok he doesn’t need a tacho in but is he exempt from the DCPC?

And anyway isn’t the DSA who set the rules on this not VOSA?

I can see an exemption for a mechanic in a dealers workshop, but he is a sole trader working out of his van, and he thinks he could so easily cross the line he is going to do his DCPC.

What are the thoughts of greater minds than mine?

OK - I just called the DSA DCPC hotline on 0191 201 8112 and the issue of a mechanic taking a LGV to a VOSA MOT is still a grey area with no definition either way - an EU court case is required = super expensive

In regard to the rest of what he does then no DCPC required

MERTRUX who have LGV mechanics and their own DCPC training section are adamant that a mechanic who takes LGVs to a VOSA MOT station or collects and delivers them from customers for service are required to have DCPC

ROG - many thanks for your answer - over and above the call of duty but does show up a grey area. Think I would rather do the DCPC and avoid being caught up in a court case which looks to be MERTRUX’s view as well.