Soot filter regeneration

Drive a DAF… all this week I have had problems.
Yellow light came on …regenerate now which I did…for 62 minutes…50 miles later same thing…
Happened all week…in the end I just carried on driving with warnings of Regeneration needed…soot filter full …limp mode. Etc etc…
Drove 200 miles today without a problem…
Yes of course I phoned the office to tell them but their advice was…just get the drops done and finished.

At no time did it go into limp mode…

Anyone had this ?

That concrete block mate. It was there for a reason you see :laughing:

Heisenberrg:
Drive a DAF… all this week I have had problems.
Yellow light came on …regenerate now which I did…for 62 minutes…50 miles later same thing…
Happened all week…in the end I just carried on driving with warnings of Regeneration needed…soot filter full …limp mode. Etc etc…
Drove 200 miles today without a problem…
Yes of course I phoned the office to tell them but their advice was…just get the drops done and finished.

At no time did it go into limp mode…

Anyone had this ?

Had it come up on mine a couple of times.But only the light.It went off after about 10mins though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Regen of the DPF should happen automatically when the filter starts to clog. It works by the ecu allowing the injection of additional fuel and advanced timing for a higher burn. If the light continuosly shows and you get repeated regens then its either going to need the DPF cleaned/ replaced or better removed…

AndrewG:
Regen of the DPF should happen automatically when the filter starts to clog. It works by the ecu allowing the injection of additional fuel and advanced timing for a higher burn. If the light continuosly shows and you get repeated regens then its either going to need the DPF cleaned/ replaced or better removed…

Not strictly true, I have had my truck do automatic regens during the night (remember that my truck engine is running constantly when I am sleeping to keep the cab temp cozy), still the yellow regen light may come on while I am driving, it means that even though the shorter automatic regen has happened it still needs it, I stop and start the regen, it usually takes about 40 minutes, the auto regen takes exactly 10 minutes.

toonsy:
That concrete block mate. It was there for a reason you see :laughing:

:laughing:

You don’t say wether it is an LF ,CF , XF …So going by what you are saying with it doing multiple regens ,it may well be the EGR differential pressure sensor is chocked with soot and hence telling the ecu to do a regen ,You also do not say wether the DPF is full when it is doing the regens …Do not mix up the EGR Differential Pressure Sensor with the Differential Pressure Sensor

There are 3 types of regeneration

Passive
Active
Stationary

Active …if the temperature of the exhaust meets certain temps when driving ,the the vehicle will do a regen ,The driver will be unaware that it is happening

Active …Soot level is at a certain amount ,though the exhaust temp is below what is required ,so fuel is injected to raise the temp to star a regen

Stationary … When an unsuccessful active regen has not been completed and the soot level is too high ,you will get a deraate ,you then have to park up safely and carry oit a forced stationary regen …If not carried out within the specified time the filter becomes too full nd a stationary can then not be carried out …So the driver has a role to play here ,as if the filter is so full that a regen can not be carried out then it is a job for the dealer ,which is chargable as warranty will not pay as the driver has ignored all warning that he would have been given ,It will be logged in the ECU and warranty will require the ecu report …

That is it in a basic form before people start going on about time based stuff etc etc

There is a dashboard display accesed by the menu switch which will show you the dpf status. It’s on the same menu as oil level and air pressure guages

Take it off and run a steam cleaner through it for half an hour problem solved.
Do it all the time on the stupid bloody Scanias and MAN.
You want to see whats inside them .
What a bloody scam.

Bking:
Take it off and run a steam cleaner through it for half an hour problem solved.
Do it all the time on the stupid bloody Scanias and MAN.
You want to see whats inside them .
What a bloody scam.

This^^^^^

Use to do that with cats on cars, was called back washing., But now they weld the bloody things in line right pain to do.