Soon to be new driver just wanted to say hello :)

Hi im J and 25 years young,

Hello everyone,

Hopefully in the next few months i will hold C+E, got my theory next week, then straight onto my practical,
so hopefully I will be up there soon with my C+E :slight_smile:,

If any one has any recommendations on what the get to make me as employable as possible please let me know, all comments will be appreciated,

As for the CPC to be done by September ? i think, will I get this with my licence? as ive briefly read about a blue card? would i get my CPC with my Course?

Look forward to speaking to you all.

J

Welcome to Trucknet.Get around to all the hauliers and knock on their doors.Most ignore Cv’s and will not ring you back.
You would be an asset to a firm as they train you in to their own way of doing things.

Hi, and welcome.

Regarding driver cpc, September has no relevance to you as you don’t hold acquired (grandfather) rights. When you sit your hazard perception and multiple choice tests, you also need to sit your case studies (module 2) test. The first 2 are the theory part of the driving course and the case studies is the theory for driver cpc. Then, at any point after that up to when you want to start driving professionally, you need to do the practical cpc (aka Mod 4.) This takes less than 30 minutes and involves demonstrating safety checks, loading considerations and more to the examiner. You will not drive the vehicle on this test.

Once you have passed your driving test and your Mod 4 you will receive your new updated driving licence and your driver qualification card - the blue one. You must carry the DQC with you at all times when driving professionally.

As for making yourself more employable, check your local area for any particular sort of work and make sure you train with that in mind. Apart from that, you will do well do drive an artic before going for a pre employment assessment as you may have passed your CE on a drawbar.

Feel free to pm me if you think I can help further.

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Check the Vosa now called Dvsa website.
Under applications/decisions Pages , it lists all the firms in your area from one man bands to large fleets.
You will never stop learning once attained the artic licence.
Ask drivers at motorway rest areas.
They will glady give you tips and tricks of the trade.
A good tv is ideal for nights out.
Snooper sat navs have a tv.
Invest in good quality Ppe.
Cheap safety boots will not last.Steel toe caps are needed.
Builders nerchants are the best.
Foam ear plugs for sleeping in noisy laybys.
Or if driving with the windows down, you will be deaf in later years.

Just another thought; make sure you stay away from brokers. They normally make promises of finding a job and will say they have 30 or 40 training centres in the UK. No-one has. Find a couple of trainers that sound ok and go for assessments to see how you feel with the set up and their attitude etc. You may find this useful: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hi, and welcome.

Regarding driver cpc, September has no relevance to you as you don’t hold acquired (grandfather) rights. When you sit your hazard perception and multiple choice tests, you also need to sit your case studies (module 2) test. The first 2 are the theory part of the driving course and the case studies is the theory for driver cpc. Then, at any point after that up to when you want to start driving professionally, you need to do the practical cpc (aka Mod 4.) This takes less than 30 minutes and involves demonstrating safety checks, loading considerations and more to the examiner. You will not drive the vehicle on this test.

Once you have passed your driving test and your Mod 4 you will receive your new updated driving licence and your driver qualification card - the blue one. You must carry the DQC with you at all times when driving professionally.

As for making yourself more employable, check your local area for any particular sort of work and make sure you train with that in mind. Apart from that, you will do well do drive an artic before going for a pre employment assessment as you may have passed your CE on a drawbar.

Feel free to pm me if you think I can help further.

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

if i do it on a draw bar. what do i need to do to get arctic, ? as i thought this was still on my licence as C+E?

JS06:

Peter Smythe:

if i do it on a draw bar. what do i need to do to get arctic, ? as i thought this was still on my licence as C+E?

Nothing - pass C+E in either, and you can then drive both. What Pete meant is that they handle differently, and many choose the (in my opinion) easier option of passing with a draw bar, as it is essentially the same test again in the rigid you are used to with a trailer on the back. But road positioning for artic is different enough that a bit of experience in an artic is useful before you turn up for an assessment and pretend you can drive one! In general the opposite doesn’t seem to apply, if you train and pass in an artic then jumping in a drawbar doesn’t seem as bad…

All the best for your training.

th2013:

JS06:

Peter Smythe:

Nothing - pass C+E in either, and you can then drive both. What Pete meant is that they handle differently, and many choose the (in my opinion) easier option of passing with a draw bar, as it is essentially the same test again in the rigid you are used to with a trailer on the back. But road positioning for artic is different enough that a bit of experience in an artic is useful before you turn up for an assessment and pretend you can drive on! In general the opposite doesn’t seem to apply, if you train and pass in an artic then jumping in a drawbar doesn’t seem as bad…

Bets of luck with your training.

brilliant, thank you ,

Nothing - pass C+E in either, and you can then drive both. What Pete meant is that they handle differently, and many choose the (in my opinion) easier option of passing with a draw bar, as it is essentially the same test again in the rigid you are used to with a trailer on the back. But road positioning for artic is different enough that a bit of experience in an artic is useful before you turn up for an assessment and pretend you can drive one! In general the opposite doesn’t seem to apply, if you train and pass in an artic then jumping in a drawbar doesn’t seem as bad…

That is exactly what I meant. Without a doubt, it’s easier to pass on drawbar but it’s not a good idea to try and blag a pre- employment assessment on an artic having never driven one. With us, you can train and test on either drawbar or artic. Those who pass on drawbar are then invited to do an artic conversion course which is a brilliant confidence booster. Also there is no pressure of a test at the end of that conversion course.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

That is exactly what I meant. Without a doubt, it’s easier to pass on drawbar but it’s not a good idea to try and blag a pre- employment assessment on an artic having never driven one. With us, you can train and test on either drawbar or artic. Those who pass on drawbar are then invited to do an artic conversion course which is a brilliant confidence booster. Also there is no pressure of a test at the end of that conversion course.

thank you, what is the price of the conversion course? and how long it takes ect

what is the price of the conversion course? and how long it takes ect

ÂŁ200 incl VAT. 3 - 4 hours including reversing, coupling/uncoupling and plenty of driving.

Peter Smythe:

what is the price of the conversion course? and how long it takes ect

ÂŁ200 incl VAT. 3 - 4 hours including reversing, coupling/uncoupling and plenty of driving.

Excellent, is there any paper work I get to show I’ve done it ,if they ask?
This is defiantly something I will do, do you have any locations in Yorkshire?

Regards

Yes, you get a certificate stating you have attended an Artic Conversion Course.

Nearest to you is Mansfield, Notts. Near junc 29.

I done my test in a W&D then jumped into an artic for work with np so it can be done you just have to be aware

On your licence it will not say what you have passed in although it is a good idea to try an artic before you apply for a job as as said they do handle different

animal:
I done my test in a W&D then jumped into an artic for work with np so it can be done you just have to be aware

On your licence it will not say what you have passed in although it is a good idea to try an artic before you apply for a job as as said they do handle different

cheers. :slight_smile: im going to get myself on the conversion course for sake of ÂŁ220, gets me the feel of how it handles. then just hope i can get a job,

im going to get myself on the conversion course for sake of ÂŁ220

When did it go up?? It’s £200 incl.

Peter Smythe:

im going to get myself on the conversion course for sake of ÂŁ220

When did it go up?? It’s £200 incl.

yeah realized after i typed too may 2`s my fault

J

little update,

Passed my theory today with flying colours

:slight_smile:

Hi J

Not sure where you are based but Wincanton Containers take on newly qualified drivers and offer them in-depth container training with a mentor at their depots in Felixstowe, Suffolk & Alconbury, Cambridgeshire

It might help!

Cheers
Sandy

sandy_goddard:
Hi J

Not sure where you are based but Wincanton Containers take on newly qualified drivers and offer them in-depth container training with a mentor at their depots in Felixstowe, Suffolk & Alconbury, Cambridgeshire

It might help!

Cheers
Sandy

Hi,

Thank you for the information, Im up north, however i would take this into account, May be a bit far for then to allow me to travel.

Also know as sandy hah

J