Soon to be ex military :-D

Hi, as you can probably tell from the title I’m very happy to be leaving the forces at the end of the month, looking to enter into the world of HGV driving.

Probably one of the few good things the military has done for me is put me thru my cat c and also they are paying for my c+e and adr next month :slight_smile:.

I’ve been a regular guest on these forums for the last 4 months viewing endless amounts of topics about New drivers going thru hell and back to land that first job.

Anyway back to my question, I’ve held my cat c licence for 20 months and I’m 24 years old, how will this go against me trying to get my first job? I’m I right in thinking my 20 months of driving in the forces count for nothing out in the real world?

Nick

Start small work your way up mate I done 6 years in the army come out an worked for a dairy on a 7.5t now work for myself on a 44t walking floor

Alrite lad im currently serving in the forces had my cat c for 2 years and passed adr last year only used that once. I signed up with a few agencys when i was 24 and didnt have a prob getting work mate ! Say you have drove all major routes in uk etc and look up tacho rules and regs and driving hours. I done all my driving during leave i had started off with 7.5 then finaly got a call for the big 1s 18 tonners :slight_smile: you want have a prob getting work from agencys like because you have done 20 months driving in the army just say few white lies want harm anyone. But mate do you realy want to leave and do driving ? Civvy street aint any better trust me i only done these few poxy shifts during leave to see what its like and it aint any better. But that was agency work i got and it was pants but if you land the right job mate happy days. Just got to take the crap first. Any questions let me know bud

Vernon1987:
Alrite lad im currently serving in the forces had my cat c for 2 years and passed adr last year only used that once. I signed up with a few agencys when i was 24 and didnt have a prob getting work mate ! Say you have drove all major routes in uk etc and look up tacho rules and regs and driving hours. I done all my driving during leave i had started off with 7.5 then finaly got a call for the big 1s 18 tonners :slight_smile: you want have a prob getting work from agencys like because you have done 20 months driving in the army just say few white lies want harm anyone. But mate do you realy want to leave and do driving ? Civvy street aint any better trust me i only done these few poxy shifts during leave to see what its like and it aint any better. But that was agency work i got and it was pants but if you land the right job mate happy days. Just got to take the crap first. Any questions let me know bud

Cheers for the reply’s guys, To be honest I’m not expecting it to be much better out on civvy street mate, I understand there will be times where I think why did I leave, I just have no passion for the army no more so it’s time to move on.

The first time I got into a truck I loved every second of it and still do, And I’m glad to see some current and ex-forces getting good results, hopefully the luck will continue with me :slight_smile: lol…

Your an idiot if you want in to this job.

stagedriver:

Why does it make me an idiot? I want in because I ENJOY driving, I would be more of an idiot to get out and not use one of the better things that come out of being in the forces ( my HGV licence ) plenty of lads pay for there’s and want in, does that make them an idiot?

Adapt and overcome my friend just use driving as a temporary income until you find a descent better paid career !

You’d be an idiot because this industry has gone ■■■■ up big time.

stagedriver:
You’d be an idiot because this industry has gone ■■■■ up big time.

I understand it has just like any other job, just like the military trying to cut 20000 regulars and recruiting T.A…

I’m not trying to get into the driving Industry because I think there is mega money in it or it’s easy because I can imaging it’s a **** of a job at times, But I’m not the type that can sit in a office all day or work in a supermarket and I’m very keen on driving, Only time will tell I guess but thanks for the advice anyway bud.

NicholasB87:

stagedriver:

Why does it make me an idiot? I want in because I ENJOY driving, I would be more of an idiot to get out and not use one of the better things that come out of being in the forces ( my HGV licence ) plenty of lads pay for there’s and want in, does that make them an idiot?

you love driving now give a few years bud lol

Got to reply to nip this in the bud. I got out in 87 after 9, the time was right to do what was in my blood! Sure the job ain’t what it was, it never was! Just keep positive attitude, not easy at times but defy all the doubting Thomas’s and give it yer best shot. There have been times I’ve wondered what if I’d stayed in etc but looking back wouldn’t have changed a thing. Lifes what u make it. Good luck driver.

[quote="NicholasB87"Probably one of the few good things the military has done for me is put me thru my cat c and also they are paying for my c+e
I’ve held my cat c licence for 20 months and I’m 24 years old[/quote]
IMPORTANT
Did they also put you through you initial LGV driver cpc :question: - if not then you cannot drive LGVs commercially in civvy street

Right go do cpc mod 2 and 4 get on with a agency but have a back up plan iv been out for a year now started on the spanners but not much money in that and I was working all the hours there was did some agency spoke face to face with transport managers and got a full time job and love it but im a tramper so got a bit of freedom so good luck and just have a drive to acheive.

Sorry forgot to mention there paying for my driver cpc aswell, I’ve have been lucky because I’m doing all this while still bringing a wage from the army untill the end of September.

NicholasB87:
Sorry forgot to mention there paying for my driver cpc aswell, I’ve have been lucky because I’m doing all this while still bringing a wage from the army untill the end of September.

where you from private

Eddie233:

NicholasB87:

where you from private

From South Wales, Cardiff Sir :wink:

Sighn up with swift driver hire in newport did me some good but there are a lot of agencys in the area some pay ok some dont.

Some of the qualities that are so important in Military life, like discipline, honesty and unselfishness can actually be a disadvantage in civillian life. It’s certainly the hardest thing I had to deal with when I left the RN in the nineties.

I still have those military qualities now but I’m a lot thinner and lot wiser than I was when I walked through the Main Gates at HMS Drake for the last time…

Good luck for the future,

W