Soon to be ex army newbie

first of all hello.
basically i am currently in the infantry about to come up to the point in my career where i can leave (3 years)
i passed my class 2 late last year and have since driven a white fleet with a tail lift just around camp to help with moving kit and equipment, and a few other larger vehicles. this probably doesn’t count as the experience an employer is looking for.
while it would be ideal to get my class 1 through the army but with the infantry this is never going to happen.

i know there are lots of posts on how to get started. any one who has been in a similar position or any advice at all on getting a driving job in either the Leeds or Hull area would be massively appreciated. especially since the only multidrop experience i have is delivering pizzas in a citron van

Have you passed you initial LGV driver cpc ? - not needed if you passed car test before 1997

no my plan is to get this sorted before i put in for my termination, what is generally involved in the initial cpc??

1yorksmatt:
no my plan is to get this sorted before i put in for my termination, what is generally involved in the initial cpc??

Module 2 theory test @ theory test centre
Module 4 practicaL test @ practical test centre

check out the sticky for mod 4

Also =
Mod 2 drivingtheory4all.co.uk/Publ … er-CPC.htm
Mod 4 flairtraining.co.uk/PDF/cpcp … stions.pdf

I’d try and stay in the army if i were you. Maybe transfer to the RLC and ask for a posting to tank transporter regt, failing that try for a unit that has a fuel troop. Also most RLC units will put you through your rough terrain fork lift licence which is quite handy nowadays
in civvy street. You can go for a crane license aswell.
I really would think long and hard about leaving though. No sports afternoons, early knock offs, cheap accomodation, guaranteed wages, More holiday than you can poke a stick at. Then of course if you stay in long enough theres the pension.

thanks for the links, massive help on what i need to do.
honestly the reason i want to leave is because my battalion is moving to cyprus (i know the horror) but for personal reasons its good enough.
i have tried to transfer but unfortunately so have alot of lads so its hard to get a word in. but you do make a good point, thanks

Army is easiest money you will ever get apart from dole, the post above is spot on

1yorksmatt, I left the mil sept 2008 after 12 years n wish I stayed in, but I would never go back now. Simonglover made a good point that I should’ve done, transfer to logistics or engineers with a multitude of vehicles.
I’m young enough to start a new career and have world life experience, not necessarily for trucking but just general, “been about abit”.
Did a bit of agency work for a year or so but money got soooo tight I needed to act, so I did CP course in Hereford and now I’m in Iraq doin private security, been here couple of years now but plan on goin back to drivin in uk soon.

I’d say get on with the agencies in your area and get the experience and knowledge of different vehicles. I drove bin wagons, concrete mixers (sooo heavy), 18t Multidrop, brick merchants with hiab, not alot but learned alot as a newby. Goodluck.