Something strange that I've noticed

In the past 6 to 8 months I’ve come across roughly about 30, class 2 tipper jobs that have been posted on job websites, all of them saying " tipper experience is a must " normally asking for 2 years of experience.

Yet in the last 24 hours I’ve come across 9, class 1 tipper jobs, ALL OF THEM saying " no experience required, training can be provided".

To me it just seems strange that you need tipper experience for class 2 jobs but you don’t seem to need tipper experience for class 1 jobs.

Could it be just some kind of coincidence or is it something else.

Do you not need experience on class 1 as most of the time you are not tipping on soft, uneven building sites like the class 2’s do, but instead tipping on nice firm concret in a storage shed ?

Tipping is something am really interested in but i only have a class 2 licence as of now, if the last 24 hours of checking job websites is anything to go by it might mean i need to get myself a class 1 licence.

Is it because Tipper drivers are widely seen as having had no training in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well-Jell:
In the past 6 to 8 months I’ve come across roughly about 30, class 2 tipper jobs that have been posted on job websites, all of them saying " tipper experience is a must " normally asking for 2 years of experience.

Yet in the last 24 hours I’ve come across 9, class 1 tipper jobs, ALL OF THEM saying " no experience required, training can be provided".

To me it just seems strange that you need tipper experience for class 2 jobs but you don’t seem to need tipper experience for class 1 jobs.

Could it be just some kind of coincidence or is it something else.

Do you not need experience on class 1 as most of the time you are not tipping on soft, uneven building sites like the class 2’s do, but instead tipping on nice firm concret in a storage shed ?

Tipping is something am really interested in but i only have a class 2 licence as of now, if the last 24 hours of checking job websites is anything to go by it might mean i need to get myself a class 1 licence.

Maybe demanding local urban multi drop type work v longer distance effectively trunking type work.So maybe translates as willing to accept zb work involving lots of pressure and navigational and site delivery aggro,without walking away from the job without notice at some point ?. :bulb:

Dont forget to take the mandatory “drive like a bell end” card.

You can optionally add the “how to be universally hated by most” module on.

The experience you need is how to crack on regardless of other road users.

And to find the switch to turn on the fifteen spot lamps screwed on the front :unamused:

Rigid tippers more likely to be in the rough stuff, modern motors are not like those go anywhere unbreakable Foden 8 wheelers of the 70s and 80’s, maybe too much damage being done by wrong usage of diff locks etc, then tipping stuff on soft ground is an aquired art.

Artic tippers don’t tend to venture quite so far off some sort of surface, even if a its a temporary road, plus they have to tip on more level stable surfaces for obvious reasons.
Most of those artic tipper jobs for grain carriers?

Winseer:
Is it because Tipper drivers are widely seen as having had no training in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nail on the head with that statement Winseer.

Thanks Juddian, that’s pretty much the lines i was thinking along, it looks like it might " pay " for me to get my class 1 and get started bulk tipping.

Am not too sure what most of them were for, i was mainly interested in the " experience needed or not needed bit " but i actually surprised myself and found out something useful.

Well-Jell:
Thanks Juddian, that’s pretty much the lines i was thinking along, it looks like it might " pay " for me to get my class 1 and get started bulk tipping.

Am not too sure what most of them were for, i was mainly interested in the " experience needed or not needed bit " but i actually surprised myself and found out something useful.

I did the grain bulk for a good few years, lots of other tipper work involved, enjoyed it most of the time, better than RDC hell :laughing: .

When it comes to being most hated I am up for that prize. I am a class 2 tipper driver and a CYCLIST. :smiley: .You would probably get a start on tippers without any experience, I did.

I think I’d really enjoy it too, I’ve done crap class 2 multi drop jobs carrying plastic baskets of food up stairs for food delivery services to schools, hospitals and so on, I’ve done pallets trying to move a 750kg pallet up an incline, then along a tarmac road, I’ve done up and down the tail lift all day with over loaded cages and to be fair am sick of it all.

I did get a small taste of class 2 tipping for an agency working one day driving a brand new Volvo FMX and i loved it, it was 100% driving, no other work involved, now I’ve got a taste for it i want more.

I’ve posted 5 C.V’s with covering letters of to my nearest tipper companies and emailed a further 22 more and haven’t heard anything in 3 weeks.

Just desprate to get started.

For the last week I’ve been doing internal site tipping working 12 hour night shifts to try and build up experience but i don’t know if it will mean squat to an employer out there in the real world as it’s all internal work on good, firm concrete.

Posting cvs or emailing is a waste of time. Go knock on doors. Introduce yourself. Explain the situation. Would you employ yourself from an email? Good luck.

^^^ this, tipper bods ain’t emailers, go find the gaffer and sell yourself.

i’ve only got one job from an advert, worse job of all my driving life, lasted 3 months and the office bods wouldn’t talk to me after i put me notice in, spoiled brats
all me jobs apart from that crap one have come either from word of mouth, recommendation, or plain old knocking on the door…best job of all currently hope it’ll be me last, knocked on the door.

Likewise Juddian .

Sorry guys i should have said what i mean by posting C.V’s is that i did go knocking on doors as i know that works and have done it in the past, only got to speak with one boss though and he said he had just taken somebody on that morning.

The others i had to leave with other people and one address i couldnt find at all.

As Juddian says…

Most tipper bod’s I’ve came across won’t even recognise a text never mind a CV

I think with ‘experience’ required for class 2, its possibly more to do with having the require tickets for running in / out of quarries all day and experience of doing the tar. ( A job where you don’t want to ■■■■ up) - 20 angry road workers on your case.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

A class 2 tipper job as an employee with the firm that owns or leases the vehicle wont come up very often. Despite some of the comments made on here and other forums its a ■■■■ good job so not many vacancies. Try to get a foot in the door through an agency and speak to the gaffer and tar men.

I think a lot of people might be surprised at how into technology the older generation is into things like emails, texting, snapchat, faxes and so on, in a lot of the places I’ve worked it’s normally always the older guys sat there at a desk behind a computer checking the trackers, telematics, using emails and listening to audio books on their kindels.

I also agree, i don’t think class 2 tipper jobs come up very often because it does seem like fairly easy and enjoyable job and that’s probably another reason why bosses and owners can demand 2 years experience as there is already a long queue of experienced tippers in front of the inexperienced lads.

Also some of the companies I’ve emailed are absolutely huge, like

Esh group.
John Wade Quarries.
Breedon.
Tarmac.
And O’brien.

If they don’t have somebody there who can open an email then something is seriously wrong in the haulage business.

I also have over 2 years experience of driving class 2 vehicles so it can’t be that, that is stopping employers contacting me.