Someone clear this up please

Want to clarify what another driver told me today
Im not sure how true it is.

If you work 13 hours or over so 13 h 30 min for example
Amd work the next day
That is automatically classed as reduced rest.

So day 1
Start 3am
Finished 430pm
Start next day 430am ( 12 hours rest)

What’s right?
Cheers

Scott88:

Amd work the next day

So day 1
Start 3am
Finished 430pm

What’s right?
Cheers

If you work over the 13hour mark then its classed as a rest of 9hrs because of the 24 hour period.

Your friend is right.

Think of it like this…

You start your shift at a certain time, say 3am. Add 24 hours. Before that time (3am tomorrow) you need to complete 11 hours rest, so need to be finished by 1600 hours. If you can’t do that then it will be one of the three reduced 9 hours rests that you are allowed between two weekly rests. Therefore at all costs you would need to be finished by 1800 hours or it is insufficient daily rest.

A reduced daily rest is …
Any shift over 13 hours
AND/OR
Any time between shifts of less than 11 hours

Not the correct way of saying it as it excludes split daily rests but it might help in general

Scott88:

Amd work the next day

So day 1
Start 3am
Finished 430pm

What’s right?
Cheers

It makes no difference whether you work the next day or not, a shift over 13 hours is a reduced daily rest period unless you’re multi-manning or having a split daily rest period.

For a single manned journey the daily rest period has to fit into the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, any rest that does not fall within the 24 hour period does not count towards the daily rest period.

Therefore if your total shift is say 13 hours and 30 minutes it’s not possible to have an 11 hour rest within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift so it has to be a reduced daily rest period.

Lets say you start at 06:00 Monday, your daily rest period has to be completed by 06:00 Tuesday, so to have an 11 hour daily rest period you would have to finish work no later than 19:00 Monday (19:00 Monday to 06:00 Tuesday = 11 hours rest within the 24 hour period).

Your colleague is partly wrong though, you can work 13 hours and have a regular daily rest period, it only becomes a reduced daily rest period if the shift is over 13 hours or the rest period is less than 11 hours.

Ok thanks
Explained a bit better then he explained to me.
Thanks again