Some tramping camping questions

I want to run a tv and a fridge at the same time. what sort of kw inverter do i need to do the job? Also can you get one with two plug socket outlets? Or do i have to use some sort of splitter to have both the tv and fridge on at the same time?

If I had the fridge on all night and the tv on as well in the evenings how long would it take to run the battery flat?

Any one know how many 12/24V outlets are in an old style FH?

What is best a normal tv or a 12/24V one?

Cheers
Joe.

I run a 12v coolbox and a 12v 300w inverter (which powers a 240v tv) from the 12v hella socket using one of these cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hella-type-Plug-T … 45ed9f7f50.
I always run the engine a few times in the evening if im watching tv to recharge the batteries, I switch them both off before I go to sleep, the coolbox manages to keep everything cool until I switch it back on in the morning.

Do you ever have any issues with blowing fuses or buggering up the trucks electrics. Thats why i was thinking of just buying a 12v tv.

What sort of coolbox do you use and how long will it keep readymeals for roughly?

No issues with the electrics, I bought a 240v tv and inverter because it was cheaper than a 12v tv.
i just bought a 12v coolbox from halfords, it keeps my food fresh all week (milk, yoghurts, cooked chicken, pies)

waeco coolboxes are the best ones they use heated methan gas to cool the box to 3 degrees and have no moving parts a good set of batteries and it can be left on all the time without problem
as to a tv get a 12/24 then you have the best of both worlds again even running both shouldn’t effect the batteries unless you run them for hours and hours without recharging them
cheers
steve

i believe the weaco fridges are the best but very expensive but you get what you pay for am looking at getting cf35 fridge but still very expensive, they have a safety feature that turn off fridge if it detects your battery getting too low but ive heard people say they leave theres running all weekend and truck still starts monday morning, ive seen inverters with more sockets but you have to wire anythink above 300 to the battery, anythink lower just stick into ciggy socket, i dont no how much drain a tv would consume but am sure there will be peeps that will. i find a laptop is better if you have one cos it does everythink

I have a waeco fridge but it goes down to freezing not just 3’c maybe different model? anyway its wired into truck fuseboard and never turns off, i use an inverter to power a 240 tv with built in dvd and digibox and i never run the engine at night and never had a problem just depends on the age of the batteries i suppose

At the end of the day it all depends on how good your batteries are,in the past i had an FH,i had a 24v fridge on 24/7, a 24v tv on for up to 4 hrs night and some times night heater on all night(when it was -12.c in Germany) and it still started 1st thing in the morning.But then when i had a “new” merc megaspace i had nothing but problems with flat batteries.

i,ve got a coolbox from halfords and it works as good as a fridge, my inverter runs of 12v gives 400watts[only paid £15 from argos[black and decker] i drive different trucks every week the only ones that don,t have 12v is the daf.

Thanks for the replies. I think il go get all this gear at the weekend and hopefully my first week tramping won’t be as bleak as I thought it might have been.

one last thing. will the halfords coolbox chill down beers to a nice supping temperature?
For when the champions league comes back on! :smiley:

Run your coolbox all the time you are at work, then unplug it in the evening and plug in your telly instead. Your beers will be cold all evening. As will your soft drinks have been all day.

A compressor fridge is better, in the sense that you can keep meat and cheese etc refrigerated to an exact temperature for several days but if you only want cold drinks then a coolbox is fine.

Harry.
I would like to pop into marks on a Sunday and buy say a pint of milk, loaf of bread, cheese, butter and a coulpe or three ready meals. i figure i can always pop into another marks and sparks in the services for a top up after a couple of days. so if a cool box will do that then that would be good. i don’t really want to spend tons of money

joedwyer1:
Harry.
I would like to pop into marks on a Sunday and buy say a pint of milk, loaf of bread, cheese, butter and a coulpe or three ready meals. i figure i can always pop into another marks and sparks in the services for a top up after a couple of days. so if a cool box will do that then that would be good. i don’t really want to spend tons of money

My halfords coolbox keeps milk fresh all week.

bubsy06:

joedwyer1:
Harry.

My halfords coolbox keeps milk fresh all week.

as halfords have got a sale on i might save myself 400 quid and buy one, thats if it keeps meat fresh ,milk cold and everythink else for a week , i was looking at the waeco kompressor but seems i dont need to spend that much for 5 day tramping box , but have to admit them waeco good bit of kit

I always cook chicken at home and then stick it in the coolbox, it lasts me all week and stays fresh.

I find that if you leave a coolbox unplugged overnight, that it is nearly at ambient temperature in the morning. Even when it is running, it is not designed to keep food at a constant temperature, but simply to bring it a certain amount of degrees below ambient temperature. I wouldn’t personally use one to store meat or dairy products.

ok next one will a 300w inverter fire up a microwave?

oh and just for good measure. what do you boys use to keep track of you hours in one of those nasty old tacho behind the speedo with wind me down windows trucks! :laughing: :laughing: will a stopwatch do?

joedwyer1:
ok next one will a 300w inverter fire up a microwave?

Nope, a domestic microwave oven starts from about 650w.

Harry Monk:
I find that if you leave a coolbox unplugged overnight, that it is nearly at ambient temperature in the morning. Even when it is running, it is not designed to keep food at a constant temperature, but simply to bring it a certain amount of degrees below ambient temperature. I wouldn’t personally use one to store meat or dairy products.

Most are designed to bring the box down to 10 degrees below the outside temp. So if its 20 in the cab, the box should be at a min temp of 10. Might take a while to get down to that though.
The proper compressor fridgers are better, but they cold more. At work we can get fridges in that work on 12V, 240V and also gas, im sure they are the proper compressor ones aswell, and im also sure that they are about £150, although i could be wrong and they could be about £350 :confused:

I’ve seen a Mini Oven/Grill/Toaster on Amazon (I think) for under £30. Looked ok and it was 24v or 12v. I’ll find it again in the Morning if you can wait?