Some thoughts on working direct, agencies and the industry

right, so as you know i am a limper driving an odd two -three-four days a week. Many have advised to try and knock on the doors to work direct (i am Ltd) for a company doing ad hoc work.

I am not in a rush however i have spoken with four companies.

1. a small company offered 140 flat per weekend shift with start time around midnight. attended an interview and had not heard anything back, i suspect they have a nice pool of drivers to choose from.
  2. a big company, attended an interview, they pay their drivers £8-9 per hour and offered similar term to me
  3. a medium sized company pays £8-9 their employed drivers and suggests the same rates to me
  4. local company running very nice fleet, paying around £10. I presented my rates as £15 and never heard back

working for an agency i refuse shifts left than £12 weekday nights. i have later returned to two of these companies via an agency working at £12+

so these are the facts. my thoughts:

1. Obviously no driver shortage, but this has been done to death, so lets ignore this one
  2. Some companies are taking advantage of people working for food, they know if they wait a bit they can get a driver for £8ph and even less
  3. There is nothing stopping agencies pushing the rates down in my area to the same £8-9 if people agree doing casual work for that amount but for some reason they are not doing it. Yet. Or i am unaware of their reasons.
  4. There is no chance the industry is going to sort itself out and the wages go up. No ■■■ chance, Wages will be sitting on the min wage for the nearest future
  5. i might be biased but i think the agencies are not the problem, the problem is oversupply of drivers and the general business thinking: if someone can do the job for less, i’ll take it and i don’t really care if the driver is goo or bad, if he is bad i’ll get another one as i pay £££ in insurance.

surely my experience is limited and i might be wrong in some of the points above

let’s see how quickly the topic gets derailed and we start talking about communism, relationship and politics :grimacing:

Points 4 and 5 are correct.

Admittedly you’re probably not in the best area for money, but that hourly rate seems crap to me…
Around me I could be on 14 an hour on days for that Ltd rate.

Are you looking at going full time, and if so have you considered tramping?
That way you could look at other areas where rates are higher…

Evil8Beezle:
Admittedly you’re probably not in the best area for money, but that hourly rate seems crap to me…
Around me I could be on 14 an hour on days for that Ltd rate.

Are you looking at going full time, and if so have you considered tramping?
That way you could look at other areas where rates are higher…

fair enough mate re area, hopefully other areas look better

no, i am not looking for a full time at the moment but if i will tramping probably would be an option

Unfortunately while we have our friends from Poland, Romania, Lithuania and goodness knows where else working here then there will be no driver shortage and therefore no decent pay available. Sad but true.