Some proper fog this morning

in rural suffolk had to slow down to 20 mph, and on the way back in my car there were parts of the roads where i could see only one cat eye and one broken white line at a time.

even in such conditions was overtaken by a car (i was driving a DD): the car driver then slams his brakes as he realises his name is not Mr Roentgen and he cannot see a bloody thing when there is noone in front of him. but that was predictable so no drama

i wish some people have asked for brains this christmas rather than another iphone

oh well

It was bad coming down from Sunderland in the early hours. Sod sitting on the limit, I trundled back at 52.

Radar19:
It was bad coming down from Sunderland in the early hours. Sod sitting on the limit, I trundled back at 52.

I was in and out of Teesport and nearly got lost IN the docks…lol!!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Was bad going down the M23 and into Newhaven amazing how many had no lights on probably waiting for it to clear so they can then dazzle everyone with their fog lights :imp:

Man’s fog by the sounds of it, not this poncey modern metric fog

Same rough area as yourself this morning, worst I’ve seen in a long time, less than a lorry length visibility at times.

4 cars and 2 vans without lights on, unbelievably.

Well, one van with sidelights on and the others with no lights on after sunrise but still with less than 50m visibility at times.

A.

The A180 was carnage…

Lost count how many accidents there were between Barnetby top and Grimsby.

m.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/recap-a … story.html

My dad related a time at the end of '62 when he had to sit in the passenger seat and steer from there, because he couldn’t see the kerbside cats eyes even driving at 15mph all the way home from Suffolk on the old A11 as it was then (think it’s the dead-straight road that goes from Newmarket to Six Mile Bottom now)

Not sure how you do the brakes and gears like that, but I think the general notion here is that “There’s never been a pea souper to compare to the pre clean air act smog days.”
No doubt those who believe in man-made climate change will argue that this harsh winter was the direct result of the pollution that abounded at that time. :unamused:

Then you’ve got “bother” like the snow later in the winter of 62-63

James the cat:

Wot’s “Metric” fog?

Surely if I “Can’t see a meter in front of me” I’m slightly better off than if “I couldn’t see a yard in front of me”. :stuck_out_tongue: :confused:

Adonis.:
Same rough area as yourself this morning, worst I’ve seen in a long time, less than a lorry length visibility at times.

Well, one van with sidelights on and the others with no lights on after sunrise but still with less than 50m visibility at times.

A.

But you managed to see them :confused:

Winseer:

James the cat:

Wot’s “Metric” fog?

Surely if I “Can’t see a meter in front of me” I’m slightly better off than if “I couldn’t see a yard in front of me”. :stuck_out_tongue: :confused:

Well it’s poncey cheap foreign metric fog. They pipe it in from China. [zb]

Winseer:
My dad related a time at the end of '62 when he had to sit in the passenger seat and steer from there, because he couldn’t see the kerbside cats eyes even driving at 15mph all the way home from Suffolk on the old A11 as it was then (think it’s the dead-straight road that goes from Newmarket to Six Mile Bottom now)

Not sure how you do the brakes and gears like that, but I think the general notion here is that “There’s never been a pea souper to compare to the pre clean air act smog days.”
No doubt those who believe in man-made climate change will argue that this harsh winter was the direct result of the pollution that abounded at that time. :unamused:

Then you’ve got “bother” like the snow later in the winter of 62-63
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalYSIRU4rQ

“Even the beer froze” What a calamity, where was the army ?

Suedehead:

Adonis.:

A.

But you managed to see them :confused:

Of course I managed to see them, I’m not blind.

A.

philgor:
The A180 was carnage…

Lost count how many accidents there were between Barnetby top and Grimsby.

m.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/recap-a … story.html

I heard about that.

The A180 seemed to be chaos yesterday - came across the Humber Bridge and was going to use it, but the police had the roundabout junction closed. Looking down the road, there was clear road and then a solid wall of fog beyond the roundabout rather than the usual slow build up of fog. Crazily there were still cars going at full speed towards it and bet they couldn’t see a thing as soon as they hit it.

trevHCS:
The A180 seemed to be chaos yesterday - came across the Humber Bridge and was going to use it, but the police had the roundabout junction closed. Looking down the road, there was clear road and then a solid wall of fog beyond the roundabout rather than the usual slow build up of fog. Crazily there were still cars going at full speed towards it and bet they couldn’t see a thing as soon as they hit it.

Multiple accidents that closed the A180 for 11hrs in total…