Some Old Seddon's

An interesting engine choice in this 30/4 if the badge is honest. ■■■■■■■ was an option offered but I cannot remember coming across many 30/4s with that particular option. A smart and cared for Seddon though.

23443376233_378cf75a64.jpg

Aberdeen to London with this Leyland O.375 powered Seddon. How long would it take it back in the late '50s? A couple of days? It’s fitted with a long range fuel tank.

Seddon heading through Portsmouth in the 1960’s.

^^^
Oh deep joy, cauliflowers by the looks of it. :smiley:

gingerfold:
An interesting engine choice in this 30/4 if the badge is honest. ■■■■■■■ was an option offered but I cannot remember coming across many 30/4s with that particular option. A smart and cared for Seddon though.

Hi gingerfold, there’s a bit of info with the Len Rogers picture, might have had a transplant at sometime.
Seddon model 30. T. Cooper. This model was built in the late 60’s and was the last model made before Seddon bought Atkinson and eventually became Seddon Atkinson. The truck was seen at Deptford, London in 1975.
Cheers
Oily

oiltreader:

gingerfold:

Hi gingerfold, there’s a bit of info with the Len Rogers picture, might have had a transplant at sometime.
Seddon model 30. T. Cooper. This model was built in the late 60’s and was the last model made before Seddon bought Atkinson and eventually became Seddon Atkinson. The truck was seen at Deptford, London in 1975.
Cheers
Oily

Hi Oily, thanks for this. The transplant idea will explain the ■■■■■■■ badge. I honestly can’t remember if ■■■■■■■ was an option in any of the Mk.2 cabbed range. Seddon was an early user of ■■■■■■■ engines as mentioned earlier in the thread, but they did seem to fall out of favour with Seddon until the 32/4 and 34/4 range was introduced. Maybe the reason was pricing or the slow take up of ■■■■■■■ engines with UK hauliers in the early 1960s. Either Gardner or AEC power units were fitted in most of the 30/4s,

What has happened here? (Click on photo to enlarge)

gingerfold:

Judging by the the vehicles and the dress of the onlookers this was probably taken just after the war in the late '40s. Observe the art-deco architecture to the right of the picture. The Seddon is clearly a pre-war or wartime austerity model. The Guy Arab 2 or 3 double-decker looks post-war. No vehicles bear the war-time headlamp masks. I would suggest that the Seddon driver misjudged the kerb, which may have been higher than we can see, and stopped in time to avoid tipping over. The wrecker is clearly righting the trailer. I’m sure someone will come up with another completely plausible explanation! Robert

Here’s a rare beast on test on the A62.
Having invested time effort and finance into the development of a heavy duty vehicle it was strange
that thIS Seddon Sirdar 30 tonner never went into full production.

Pictured here in Shaw near Oldham.

ERF-NGC-European:

gingerfold:

Judging by the the vehicles and the dress of the onlookers this was probably taken just after the war in the late '40s. Observe the art-deco architecture to the right of the picture. The Seddon is clearly a pre-war or wartime austerity model. The Guy Arab 2 or 3 double-decker looks post-war. No vehicles bear the war-time headlamp masks. I would suggest that the Seddon driver misjudged the kerb, which may have been higher than we can see, and stopped in time to avoid tipping over. The wrecker is clearly righting the trailer. I’m sure someone will come up with another completely plausible explanation! Robert

That’s a fair explanation Robert. The roping of the load on the trailer seems to have done its job.

Now, who can identify the make of the donkey engine on the back of the wrecker? The wrecker itself looks as if it could be a Diamond T.

Flint's Seddon.jpg

gingerfold:

A few years ago there was a Seddon DD8 lying derelict in North Wales which several people had tried to buy, but the owner wouldn’t sell. I wonder if it was this one?

It probably belonged to the late Billy Williams who developed Tir Prince Harness Raceway, outdoor Market and Fun fair in 1990 , Billy was a friend of mine via harness racing and I recall that just prior to the opening of Tir Prince there was devastating flooding on the N. Wales coast and the whole site was flooded but I also recall that Billy got everything reinstated against the odds and on the opening night my Wife Anne’s horse Dalestar won the top race of the inaugural meeting driven to victory “pillar to post” by another Pal, Willie Moore, from Kelty in Fife. Billy was delighted that we had won the Free for All and helped to kick the raceway off against the almost insurmountable problems the floods had caused. I also won the National Pacing Derby at Tir Prince the same year with my own horse Dalechief which was driven to victory by the late Peter Lee.
Billy’s family have continued to develop their business in Towyn but I’m not sure whether they still travel to the Nottingham Goose Fair as Billy did for many years which is where that DD8 Seddon would have featured.
Cheers Bewick.

Seddon Diesel on the A57 Hyde Road Reddish in 1963.

Seddon Diesel four wheeler operated by James Hill Ltd of Manchester pulls out on to Altrincham Road Sharston in 1961.
(Click on picture for wide screen version)

1970 and a Seddon 32/4 tractor unit operated by Ward & Goldstone of Salford.

Enlarging the picture that looks like Hyde rd has fairly recently been dressed with chippings.

moomooland:
01970 and a Seddon 32/4 tractor unit operated by Ward & Goldstone of Salford.

Parked on Little Newton Street Ancoats out side A.N.Keyes Auto Electricians.

Ray

Interesting combination

gingerfold:
Interesting combination

Enough to be getting on with I would think, the Perkins p6 working overtime , mind you he probably had an Eaton two speed axle as well.