Some Old Seddon's

Seddon 1958 Perth.jpg

Bewick:

moomooland:

Which engines would these two Seddons have . AEC maybe for the unit and Perkins for the ridged ? Cheers Bewick.

The tractor unit is badged 15/10, which is a bit of a mystery, and it has hydrovac brakes, so probably an 18 or 20 tons gvw unit. Several choices of engines available for that, Gardner 5LW, Gardner 6LW, AEC AV470, Leyland O.400. BRS (sorry Dennis) had a raft of similar tractor units with that brake servo as in the picture and they had AEC AV470 engines.

The four wheeler is an early 12/4 model, (split windscreen) so either Perkins 6.354 (was it available in 1962 or 1963■■) or Leyland O.370

Apparently production of the 6.354 started in 1960 and by 62 around 24,000 engines had been built, with the Seddon Mk 2 split screen cab appearing from 1961 the four wheeler could have had the new Perkins, the much improved P6 and Leyland O.370 had been used before that, shame they didn’t put an engine number following the weight and wheel arrangement on these earlier models as they did from around the Earls Court 1962 Show. There is a preserved 12.4 from 1962 with a 6.354 fitted shown below with the 1962 full screen cab. Franky.

Parked on Grains Road near Oldham while on a test run from the nearby Seddon factory at Royton/

Turning round while on test on Buckstones Road in Shaw.

moomooland:
0Parked on Grains Road near Oldham while on a test run from the nearby Seddon factory at Royton

That’s interesting, another one with the Mark 2 cab badged as a 15/10. I’ve always thought that Seddon introduced its simplified model numbering system at the same time the Mark 2 cab was introduced. It’s now beginning to look like there was an overlap of models.

Got to hand it to Seddons :blush: their available choice of engines over the years were “comprehensive” to say the least, Perkins, Leyland, AEC, RR, ■■■■■■■ and Gardner Oh! and did they ever use the Wolverhampton built Meadows engine ? not to sure on that one ! Cheers Bewick.

Gingerfold wrote;
That’s interesting, another one with the Mark 2 cab badged as a 15/10. I’ve always thought that Seddon introduced its simplified model numbering system at the same time the Mark 2 cab was introduced. It’s now beginning to look like there was an overlap of models.

I’m wondering Graham if this particular vehicle was more a test bed for the new Maxartic suspension rather than as a production model, I have a couple of pictures of the very same vehicle with one showing the suspension in use over rough ground. Another pic of the same spec vehicle (cab et al) this time a tipper is noted as a 20.4.6LW demonstrator this time with the now proven Maxartic suspension advertised on the body, I, like you, thought the new numbering system may not have come about until the full screen Mk2 cab. I suppose if customers were interested in the said 20.4.6LW demo then Seddon may have specified it would come with the full screen, who knows, what we need is an insider from the Oldham works to shed light! By the way they made sure the trade plates 052 BU and 044 BU were well used many test vehicles from the 50’s onward have these plates fitted. Franky.

R. Cooper of Denton near Manchester.

Commercial Motor advert from 1963, click on picture twice to view full size.

Croppers of Kendal.

This Motor panels cab with a short nose was offered in some export markets from 1966-69.

Scan0001.jpg

Seddon interior

Scan0001.jpg

moomooland:
Another Seddon left hand drive from Holland.

Seddon Diesel Holland 2.jpg
Check out the badge to the left of the grille, and the darker band around the cab, bordered by the trim strips. The Vabis below has the badge in the middle:

The coachbuilder of both cabs is:

HI, FOLKS , THE LITTLE SEDDON 5L IS EXACT AS THE ONE I HAD WHEN I FIRST STARTED DRIVING AT 17 , IT HAD P 6 PERKINS 5 SPEED BOX , BRAKES VERY BAD ,WE HAD TO D O A LITTLE ,MODIFING TO GET HER UNDER 3 TON U L W ,NO POWER STEERING , SHE WAS BIG CHALLENGE FOR A NEW STARTER BUT LEARNED THE HARD WAY , Cheers Barry

A couple more Mark 5s, the “ridge pole” body dates from 1951 and the bulker is from 1955. Both worked in the Spillers North Western region.

Flour Milling 165.jpg

Have we had this Chinese Six before?

Seddon Chinese Six.jpg

Haven’t seen this one before, do those wing mirrors mean this was an export model, Australia or New Zealand maybe?

moomooland:

Would that Seddon four wheeler be one of the first 16 ton GVW chassis when C & U regs were changed ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

moomooland:

Would that Seddon four wheeler be one of the first 16 ton GVW chassis when C & U regs were changed ? Cheers Bewick.

The 16 tonners, 16/4/470 model, were registered in 1965 and 1966, and they had a step in the bottom right (driver’s side) panel, where the EE number is in the photo. Without seeing if it is an eight stud or ten stud wheel this BRS one is either a 12/4 or 14/4. From the way it “sits” it is appears to be a 12/4, of which BRS had quite a lot.

Quite an interesting background scene in the photo. Anyone any idea of the location?