Some Old Seddon's

Sorry, double post :confused:

moomooland:

And this motor was only 6 months old when the shot was taken ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

moomooland:

Hi Folks,
One of its stable mates.

Cheers Malc.

seddon 10-002.jpg

malc step:

moomooland:

Hi Folks,
One of its stable mates.

Cheers Malc.

Bewick:

malc step:

moomooland:

Hi Folks,
One of its stable mates.

Cheers Malc.

This 32/4 was ex M.R. Clarke which I bought IIRC as an after thought one day from Dealer Pal, it was a nice clean late motor which he had just got in, after Clarkes packed IIRC, however it blended in well with the other 180LXB’s on the fleet and did us a decent job. Cheers Bewick.

Moomooland, heres another, with David Landsborough ( driver )in the shot

seddon BRS-001.jpg

A Seddon four wheeler operated by Holdsworth & Gibbs Limited of Moorside Cotton Mills Swinton makes it’s way across the Market St Cross St Junction in the centre of Manchester.

moomooland:
0A Seddon four wheeler operated by Holdsworth & Gibbs Limited of Moorside Cotton Mills Swinton makes it’s way across the Market St Cross St Junction in the centre of Manchester.

What a cracking period photo. There’s something in the photo which is a rarity these days, apart from the Seddon, which is a 15/10, probably powered by a Leyland O.375 engine.

gingerfold:
What a cracking period photo. There’s something in the photo which is a rarity these days, apart from the Seddon, which is a 15/10, probably powered by a Leyland O.375 engine.

Yes its a cracking photo even better if you click on it twice and view it at full size.
Not one of those buildings in the picture survive today all were demolished in the early 1970’s to make way for the Arndale Shopping Centre.

gingerfold:

moomooland:
0A Seddon four wheeler operated by Holdsworth & Gibbs Limited of Moorside Cotton Mills Swinton makes it’s way across the Market St Cross St Junction in the centre of Manchester.

Is it the two Police men out on the street?

Absolutely correct.

moomooland:

Now that is a funny combination as the unit would have been a 30ton GVW tractor and the trailer only able to operate at 26 ton. I recall that when our local paper mill at Milnthorpe changed from running ridgids to artics their first purchase was an identical unit to this one with the coach built cab and it was F reg which was the same time that Seddons introduced the Motor Panels 32/4 unit but both chassis were the same other than the cab. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

moomooland:

Now that is a funny combination as the unit would have been a 30ton GVW tractor and the trailer only able to operate at 26 ton. I recall that when our local paper mill at Milnthorpe changed from running ridgids to artics their first purchase was an identical unit to this one with the coach built cab and it was F reg which was the same time that Seddons introduced the Motor Panels 32/4 unit but both chassis were the same other than the cab. Cheers Bewick.

Interesting that Dennis, i remember that when my late Dad worked at Marwin Transport (aka Brit European) they had 2 Seddons on F plates, the one with the plastic cab they referred to as the big Seddon, was ( i thought) 32 ton, the motor panels model they called the little Seddon was ( i think) 28 ton

Toddy2 Wrote; Interesting that Dennis, i remember that when my late Dad worked at Marwin Transport (aka Brit European) they had 2 Seddons on F plates, the one with the plastic cab they referred to as the big Seddon, was (I thought) 32 ton, the motor panels model they called the little Seddon was (I think) 28 ton.

I would think the ‘Little Seddon’ referred to was because it was the lower Motor Panels metal cabbed lighter artic, these either had the 6.354 Perkins or Perkins V8 engines fitted, the same cab was fitted to the rigid 13 and 16:Four:354/V8 models and likely the reason drivers named them as Big and Little as well as having the gross weight difference.

It seems the MkII fibre glass coachbuilt cabs may have been finally fitted up to F Reg units there is an example below from NT Motors, they had at least two and also G Reg 32:Four units with Motor Panels cabs. These F Reg cabs also had the deeper front bumper that came with the motor panels cabs and even though classed as 30:4:6LX types they would have been legally running at 32 Tons by that date. I wonder if these cabs were specified by the owners or when the order was placed the motor panels cabs were not at first available, maybe someone will know. I thought this cab was better than the later motor panels anyway. Cheers Franky.

Lower Motor Panels cabbed Seddon Diesel below.