Some Old Seddon's

grumpy old man:
When i was a young lad at Fred Chappells we had just one 4 wheel Seddon tipper, Perkins P6, I used to hate the thing with a passion and Fred knew it. “Brian, load the Seddon at Leeds Fireclay and deliver to Port Talbot”. :cry: No motorway in those days, what a shed it was. The Perkins had a habit, when you stopped the engine, of running backwards on maximum revs, clouds of smoke and ■■■■ near impossible to stop. I never did find out what was actually happening when it set off on max revs and ■■■■ near destroyed it’s self. The bloody thing traumatised me for life. :frowning:
Same with the TS3 when it decoked itself coming over the Brecon Beacons in the middle of the night, nobody warned me about it , I though the world was ending. :laughing:

Ah , the venerable P6 , ■■■■■ to start on a cold morning and of course the running backwards thing . ``I was tempted at times to leave it and see what would happen but never quite had the bottle . The ts3 lovely to drive ( mine had the silencers ■■■■ welded under the chassis , so the noise was bearable ) and I frightened many a motorist over the Cat and Fiddle in the dark . Dave

moomooland:

I dont know anything about the BRS Fleet or depot numbers, But the reg is a Newcastle one, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

I dont know anything about the BRS Fleet or depot numbers, But the reg is a Newcastle one, Regards Larry.

So what kind of engine do you think this BRS Seddon would have had Larry ? an AEC or A Leyland ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

So what kind of engine do you think this BRS Seddon would have had Larry ? an AEC or A Leyland ? Cheers Dennis.

On a B reg Dennis I would go for the AEC,As it is only pulling a single axle trailer, Of course that is just me opinion, I never cared much for Seddons at all, I was more a Atki.AEC, Scammell, Foden, Leyland man, But of course its down to every ones choice when you run motors, I allways went for what gave the best fuel results & perfermance on the hills, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

moomooland:

On a B reg Dennis I would go for the AEC,As it is only pulling a single axle trailer, Of course that is just me opinion, I never cared much for Seddons at all, I was more a Atki.AEC, Scammell, Foden, Leyland man, But of course its down to every ones choice when you run motors, I allways went for what gave the best fuel results & perfermance on the hills, Regards Larry.

Aye Larry BRS always seemed to purchase the cheapest spec and any decent spec of motor they got was always shoved into them by manufacturers trying to ingratiate themselves to BRS. What a waste of good motors on an outfit like BRS :cry: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis BRS Was a dissasster, Funded by the hard working tax paying people, Just to pay the lazy ■■■■■ working in their traffic depts, & Of course the lazey drivers that had Dodgey nights out 20 mile from their depot, & Took twice as long to do the job, Mind you I must say that some of their drivers were OK, But not at lot, Regards ;Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Dennis BRS Was a dissasster, Funded by the hard working tax paying people, Just to pay the lazy [zb] working in their traffic depts, & Of course the lazey drivers that had Dodgey nights out 20 mile from their depot, & Took twice as long to do the job, Mind you I must say that some of their drivers were OK, But not at lot, Regards ;Larry.

To be fair to SOME of the drivers Larry they were governed by wherever the digs were arranged for them, a lad I know worked from the Potteries area for them and his first night stop heading north was miles away from the Scottish border yet he could easily have driven a lot further. He had quite a shock when he later drove for a private haulier! :open_mouth:

Pete.

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Dennis BRS Was a dissasster, Funded by the hard working tax paying people, Just to pay the lazy [zb] working in their traffic depts, & Of course the lazey drivers that had Dodgey nights out 20 mile from their depot, & Took twice as long to do the job, Mind you I must say that some of their drivers were OK, But not at lot, Regards ;Larry.

To be fair to SOME of the drivers Larry they were governed by wherever the digs were arranged for them, a lad I know worked from the Potteries area for them and his first night stop heading north was miles away from the Scottish border yet he could easily have driven a lot further. He had quite a shock when he later drove for a private haulier! :open_mouth:

Pete.

Very true Pete, The good ones I new would let me go In front of them when waiting to off load in the Docks & the likes of Proctor & Gambles in Trafford Park where you could stand for hours on end to get loaded, The good old days. Regards Larry.

These with thanks to Dave Fawcett. CFR31 and 921FH posted on previous page by TROOPER 8011 with a different livery and ownership.

Seddon Flints.jpg

oiltreader:
These with thanks to Dave Fawcett. CFR31 and 921FH posted on previous page by TROOPER 8011 with a different livery and ownership.

Great photos Oily, CFR 31 a 1946 Blackpool Reg, Regards Larry.

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Pete.

When i was a newby on BRS Oxford in the early days i enquired about distance from base when time or mileage was up .i was told under 25miles was no night out but ring in and they would send a van out to bring you in. it so happend to me ,i rang in from Loudwater, Bucks and was told no one available so stay there the night ,i parked in the depot there and got a lift to Oxford home ,i booked a night out it was not dodgy ,i could do what i like in my own time.from then on i would often do the same from Coventry ,Swindon ,Reading etc .they made the rules ,drivers simply worked to them.

moomooland:

I would date this shot circa '72( maybe a little ealier not long after the M6 opened) about and believe it was taken on the south bound M6 at Tebay in the Lune Valley this Athersmith motor was returning to Bowater Scotts Barrow Mill with a load of Parent reels from Kimberly Clark’s Mill at Prudoe. Before Bowaters got into full production at Barrow they had their conversion lines in operation but only had one paper making machine in operation so they needed to ship in big reels to keep the conversion operation going. I recall when I was on the Brady Octopus in the late 60’s we often loaded the same type of loads from Bowater Scott’s Northfleet Mill back to Barrow, the 8 wheelers ant trailers were ideal for the job as they had over 40 ft of deck length as opposed to the artics of that time in the 60’s that were at best 33 footers and shorter! The driver of that Seddon would have been Bill Birkby and he carried on with Bradys after they bought Athersmiths out in 1973. Bill went onto nights on an Atki Borderer 8LXB running up and down the West Brom. Cheers Dennis.

moomooland:

By the looks of the cab style that must have been one of the last 8 wheelers Seddon built. IIRC there is a shot on the site of an identical one operated by Athersmith Bros, which ran solo and the shot was taken either on the A5 or in London, not sure which. Cheers Dennis.

I do like these “action” photos. The operator of the Seddon was Christopher Hill of Poole Harbour, animal feed miller that became part of Rank Hovis McDougall.