Some DD trailer info needed

ok, I’d like to pick your brains about DD’s

We are looking at re-introducing double deck trailers into the ASDA George network. We were the 1st ASDA section to have them years ago for trunking before the food depots used them for store delivery. I’m part of the team tasked with creating a plan to use these for store delivery too.

Now, we use a tail lift fleet as our stuff cannot be taken off by forklift, just by a bay, scissor lift or tail lift. So a tail lift is a must.
Because we also aim to collect empties for each store we visit, and plan to regularly load a DD with 3 or 4 drops, we’d ideally like to unload the top deck 1st.

Basically the question is:

Do any of you use a double deck trailer, with an external tail lift that services top and bottom deck?? We also need a movable deck for loading at the depot.
Who manufactures the trailer?

I remember seeing Comet with these before they went under.

We use Cartwright and Don-Bur deckers with a moveable deck.

cartwright-group.co.uk/doubl … viewer.asp

Don-bur,Cartwrights,Gray adams to name just a couple

They all use dhollandia Dhvo lifts. solid all round lift if looked after and serviced correctly. all moving decks will be built by the trailer manufacturer

DR

Montracon, cartwright, don bur, Gray & Adams, Lawrence David. Get quotes off them all. You’d be better off asking them about specific designs though. Just make sure the front bulk heads are reinforced if you carry roll cages!!!

currys use them , they are ■■■■ , allways braking down , then you get the thing of trying to do city center drops, one i removed the christmas lights in oakham due to there hight,

Currys dont use taillifts all there DD are moving floor curtain siders unloaded by forklift.

Well iv never seen one of them when servicing there fleet.

yes currys do use them and part of the induction is how they work!

Halfords use DDs with tail-lifts that are used for both decks, I’ve no idea who makes them though.

As do Marks and Spencer saw one in an A12 layby today.

Not sure who made the trailer though sorry!

C

At An Post we had a mixture of Don Bur and Gray Adams, the GAs ones were far better quality and built to last, imho.

Wind up.

a f blakemore has one (spar)

cheers darren

This has got to be a wind up.

Co-op uses Grey and Adams ones just make sure people are trained on the manual override for when the deck breaks. They didn’t have the tail lift but it was an optional extra

Depends how light the gear you’re shifting is but roll cages and tote bins can soon add up in weight. The problem with a lifting deck and external tail-lift is you will ■■■■ away a lot of payload on the weight of installing both of these.

I always quite liked the rear ramp and internal tail-lift set-up. Basically what you lose in time on loading the top deck with probably four lifts you save on not having to unload the final lift and how quick it is to load and unload the bottom deck with the ramp. DDs are good for store delivery use too too as you can handball a pallet of plastic totes and some over the fifth wheel. Heavy trailers empty though last place I was that had these they were 12 ton a piece unladen. You’re ending up with not much more than twice the payload of an 18 tonner but nearly four times the volume which shows how easy it can be to overload.

dr eight:
Currys dont use taillifts all there DD are moving floor curtain siders unloaded by forklift.

Well iv never seen one of them when servicing there fleet.

So who do you work for then ?

Curry’s (knowhow) have had them for a few years now, what we call the shop deckers all have T/Lifts.Non of our deckers have moving floors unless you mean up and down and most are unloaded by clamp trucks. Think that clarifies your statement.

Ring Wincanton@ ASDA NI in Larne, they have DD trailers on the George clothes contract for a right wee while :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:
McBurney pulls a right few of them about the country to the stores. :sunglasses:

Big Truck:
Ring Wincanton@ ASDA NI in Larne, they have DD trailers on the George clothes contract for a right wee while :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:
McBurney pulls a right few of them about the country to the stores. :sunglasses:

hmmm, wonder if they are our old ones? George logo and numbered ADD**** ■■?

George@ASDA driver:

Big Truck:

hmmm, wonder if they are our old ones? George logo and numbered ADD**** ■■?

I don’t think so as they look very fresh to me and some have the curved fuel saver roofline :exclamation: :exclamation: :neutral_face: