Some clarification on R.T.D. please

Not sure if the 48 hour average is worked out over 17 weeks, or 26. (something about an opt out clause?) who would decide if it would be 17, or 26?

Also you can do only 1 Saturday shift then 1 off? iv’e not read anything in the drivers hours regs to suggest otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help chaps.

sidan:
Also you can do only 1 Saturday shift then 1 off? iv’e not read anything in the drivers hours regs to suggest otherwise.

You can work more than one Saturday in a row, but you can’t have reduced weekly rests in a row.

So, if you work regular Mon-Fri with the occasional Saturday running in thrown in, you’d be okay PROVIDED on at least alternate weekends, you get at least 45 hours in - plus any compensation you need to pay back.

In practice, you might need to adjust your start time (to later than planned) for the following Monday.

sidan:
Not sure if the 48 hour average is worked out over 17 weeks, or 26. (something about an opt out clause?) who would decide if it would be 17, or 26?

I’ll try this…
I think the minimum time is 17 weeks but if agreed by boss & staff, it can be 26 weeks.
If working a “normal” mon to fri, then you can do 1 day every other weekend as a general rule - it is to do with the weekly rest period which Coffeeholic or Tachograph are much better at explaining than I.

Ducks quick in case I got this wrong and Coffeeholic shoots me again :wink: :laughing:

Am I right in thinking that the rules don’t stop you working every Saturday on the trot, but you would then have to start late every other Monday morning.

sidan:

Basically you can come to an agreement with the employer on the reference period but if no agreement is made then your employer decides on a 17 or 26 week reference period but it can’t be opted out of completely.

sidan:

You need to have at least a weekly rest of 45 hours every other week and a reduced weekly rest of no less that 24 hours on alternate weeks.

You will need to pay back the amount of hours that the rest was reduced by, this should be paid back by the end of the third week after the reduced rest week.

In reality how often you could legally work Saturday and pay back the reduced hours would depend on what shifts you do and how flexible your hours can be.

As an example lets say you finished at 18:00 on Saturday and restarted at 06:00 on Monday, you’ve had a weekly rest of 36 hours so you will need to pay back 9 hours, so sometime within the next three weeks you would need to have a weekly rest of 54 hours (45+9=54 hours) or a daily rest of at least 18 hours.

The compensation for the reduced weekly rest must be paid back en bloc.

DoYouMeanMe?:
Am I right in thinking that the rules don’t stop you working every Saturday on the trot, but you would then have to start late every other Monday morning.

That’s correct but It really depends on what hours you work and how long the Saturday shift is.

Lets say you finished at 11:00 on Saturday and didn’t restart until 08:00 on Monday then you’ve got your 45 in so no problem

Thanks very much for the replies people it is appreciated, as i am just having work thrown at me at will, i have done a 16 hour day, 67 hour week after breaks, no p.o.a. and everything reduced that can be. Thank you.

sidan:

Thanks very much for the replies people it is appreciated, as i am just having work thrown at me at will, i have done a 16 hour day, 67 hour week after breaks, no p.o.a. and everything reduced that can be. Thank you.

Sorry m8 but a 16 hour day is illegal and so is a 67 hour week without POA, the maximum working week is now 60 hours to comply with the wtd.

sidan:
i have done a 16 hour day,

I don’t think that is legal… I believe 15 is the max as you have to show 9 hours min break in a 24 hour period - but I stand to be corrected

ROG:

sidan:

I don’t think that is legal… I believe 15 is the max as you have to show 9 hours min break in a 24 hour period - but I stand to be corrected

As ROG said the maximum daily spread-over is 13 hours with a normal 11 hour daily rest or 15 hour spread-over with a reduced 9 hour daily rest.

tachograph:

ROG:

sidan:

As ROG said the maximum daily spread-over is 13 hours with a normal 11 hour daily rest or 15 hour spread-over with a reduced 9 hour daily rest.

“You certainly won’t need to duck this time ROG”

I’m learning :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

tachograph:

ROG:

sidan:

I’m learning :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thanks chaps, i knew the 16 and the 67 were illegal, which is why i needed to know 17, or 26 week average, there are 4 of us who do adr, it was worked out that there was always one of us off each day to cover holidays etc. We were all doing about 40 hours per week which left plenty spare to cover, then enter so called “logistical expert” who decides we should be doing 5 days like everybody else, and cut down on nights out. So alters all the runs round at will, so at least 3 of us are doing about 20 hours aweek more, to get the same amount of drops done :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: And i was told the runs weren’t cost effective before :laughing: Thats what you get when you don’t listen to advice from the drivers!

Very tempted to put 3 weeks holiday in :smiling_imp: :smiley:

I think everybody is trying too hard to satisfy the WTD and making life difficult for trhemselves.

The Tacho regs are more important, it is those that will get you sent to jail, lose the operators licence and attract VOSA like mosquitos in a swamp.

Im going to concentrate on using the proper drivers hours law and will argue the toss about the WTD in Strasbourg :stuck_out_tongue: