Some advise please on buying a fridge for the cab

is it better to buy a voltage dropper from 24 volts to 12 volts and buy a 12 v fridge or get a 24 volt fridge (((anyone recomend best place to buy a fridge and anything else electrical))) i would need for the cab thanx lez

If you’re planning on tramping fulltime for someone, hang fire until you know what you’ll be driving - some units come with a fridge built in these days. Not as many as should, mind, but you’d be surprised. I’ve been tramping and self-catering for 8 years now, and haven’t needed to shell out for a fridge yet…When I started fridges weren’t common at all, so I used to keep milk on the wagon step and tied a coolbag to the airkit or roof deflector for the rest. That worked fine and would be a good stopgap before spending out on something you may not need if tramping turns out not to suit you or whatever.

As for what kind you need if you do buy one…it depends what you’ll be using it for. If it’s just for snacks, cold drinks, and the odd pint of milk, a cheap 12v or (preferably) 12/24v cooler box for £20-£40 from Woolies, Halfords, or similar, will be just fine.

If, like me these days, you want to go in for full-on cooking with fresh ingredients, you need a proper fridge to be sure of being able to keep a whole week’s worth of food fresh. The best ones cost about £200 but are well worth it for efficiency, quietness, size and low power draw…Remember you’ll be living in a small space 24 hours a day with whatever you buy.
There are the cheaper old-fashioned camping-style fridges that will run off gas or 12v, too. These do the same job but are huge, noisy, tempramental, and eat power so you’ll have to unplug them at night, so less effective for all week long. I have one which a friend lent me (thanks Alix!) for when it looked like I’d lose my built-in job at one point, and it’s HHHHUUUUGGGEEE.

I forget the proper terms for these two types now - I know one’s a compressor fridge and the other’s something else - but you can easily tell the difference by size and price! I’m someone else here can remind me… :blush:

I’m lucky. I drive an Iveco Stralis AS which comes with it’s own hyper efficient, built in, full on Fridge/Freezer as standard. :sunglasses:

Lucy:
If you’re planning on tramping fulltime for someone, hang fire until you know what you’ll be driving - some units come with a fridge built in these days. Not as many as should, mind, but you’d be surprised. I’ve been tramping and self-catering for 8 years now, and haven’t needed to shell out for a fridge yet…When I started fridges weren’t common at all, so I used to keep milk on the wagon step and tied a coolbag to the airkit or roof deflector for the rest. That worked fine and would be a good stopgap before spending out on something you may not need if tramping turns out not to suit you or whatever.

As for what kind you need if you do buy one…it depends what you’ll be using it for. If it’s just for snacks, cold drinks, and the odd pint of milk, a cheap 12v or (preferably) 12/24v cooler box for £20-£40 from Woolies, Halfords, or similar, will be just fine.

If, like me these days, you want to go in for full-on cooking with fresh ingredients, you need a proper fridge to be sure of being able to keep a whole week’s worth of food fresh. The best ones cost about £200 but are well worth it for efficiency, quietness, size and low power draw…Remember you’ll be living in a small space 24 hours a day with whatever you buy.
There are the cheaper old-fashioned camping-style fridges that will run off gas or 12v, too. These do the same job but are huge, noisy, tempramental, and eat power so you’ll have to unplug them at night, so less effective for all week long. I have one which a friend lent me (thanks Alix!) for when it looked like I’d lose my built-in job at one point, and it’s HHHHUUUUGGGEEE.

I forget the proper terms for these two types now - I know one’s a compressor fridge and the other’s something else - but you can easily tell the difference by size and price! I’m someone else here can remind me… :blush:

I’m lucky. I drive an Iveco Stralis AS which comes with it’s own hyper efficient, built in, full on Fridge/Freezer as standard. :sunglasses:

thanx lucy for your advice, i will wait till i start and see if theres one already in,
thank you lez

The most useful cab accessories I have are:

Pack of Baby Wipes
and
Empty plastic pop bottle. (add funel for ladies :slight_smile:

Plus: (at great expense) A decent sleeping bag, and inflatable pillow

Regards 2xQ

DoubleQ:

Pack of Baby Wipes

Agreed.

and
Empty plastic pop bottle. (add funel for ladies :slight_smile:

Yeuchhhhh…That’s what bushes were made for!

Plus: (at great expense) A decent sleeping bag, and inflatable pillow

Regards 2xQ

Nooooo. Don’t “do” camping. Proper bed with a duvet and real pilows here. I live in it more than I’m at home, after all. :wink:

Lucy:

DoubleQ:

Pack of Baby Wipes

Agreed.

Even better when kept in the fridge during the warmer months.

Too right… :stuck_out_tongue:

Try Waeco, and better still try buying it in Europe. Euros for Pounds

12/24v large capacity, sits on seat or floor and is compressor.

I just bought new sheets & duvet for the truck, it comes in matching indian cotton and cost 50quid

Lucy:

The expensive ones are compressor fridges - “proper” fridges which work the same way as the fridge at home

The cheap(er) ones use Peltier Heat Pump technology, and are normally called “cool boxes” rather than “fridges”. They mostly work, but you often can’t leave them switched on permanently as they overheat.

Quote lucy "Yeuchhhhh…That’s what bushes were made for! "

And what if bushes are’nt available
( ah yes, you can conseal a lot of stuff behide a truck, and if it comes to the werst case, there’s usually enought free space somewere on the load bed (after the 1st drop at least))

PS: free up an area of sheet/curtain to gain access
as Ive noticed Rear Doors are latching with NO release HANDLE on the inside :slight_smile:

Regards 2xQ

Wrong again. Under the trailer, mate. :wink:

To be honest, with a bit of forward planning it’s rare to get stuck without bushes, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

gothika:
is it better to buy a voltage dropper from 24 volts to 12 volts and buy a 12 v fridge or get a 24 volt fridge (((anyone recomend best place to buy a fridge and anything else electrical))) i would need for the cab thanx lez

Never if you can help it run a fridge through a dropper, it will burn the dropper out within a week or two.