some advice

I asked today to take some holiday for one day this comming monday.
they refused.
I asked if I could take it off unpaid.
It looks like they will also refuse.

what would happen if I was off sick on the day in question. could they sack me? I am still in my six month probationary period I have never been late or had a day off or moaned since I have been there :question:

the problem with now taking it as a sick day is that you have already asked for the day off and they refused, they will be suspicious of any thime you have to phone in sick in the future, they may give you a disciplinary for it, as you say, you are stillin your probationary period so this may go against being offered a full time position.

but, ik used to do it all the time :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it go so bad with me doing it that management never refused me a day off if i asked, his reply was “no point in refusing cos you’ll only phone in sick anyway” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lol well i just may end up pulling a sickie other wise im out of pocket. im booked on a track day at brands and totally forgot about it. I don’t usually ever have days off sick. but I don’t like being dishonest but they have forced me into a corner really. what gets my goat is that since I have been there I have kept my head down worked hard and always stayed out late to get my deliveries done. ok i got paid for it but if I wanted to be back in the yard at 4 every day then i would be within my rights and they can’t do me one favour in return. might just do that in future :frowning:

IMHO your mistake was in asking them if you could take Monday off, you should have just told them you couldn’t work Monday as you had an appointment with a solicitor/doctor/dentist/racecourse etc.

Out of pocket for one day is better than the next year !!! Sometimes you have too give in good luck but I bet they are just waiting for you too bunk it!!

i presume they must have work to do, otherwise they’d say fine rather than pay you for doing nothing. We have a policy of a weeks notice for time off, apart form emergencys obviously, but if someone asks for a day and it’s quiet, then fair enough.

I don’t think they forced you into a corner, you forgot so it’ s down to you. They’ll have commitments to honour to the customer that pays everyone’s wages.

Why don’t you re schedule the track day? :confused:

I need a track day, in fact I need several, but I need the job more. If you do call in sick and they sack you and you go for another job and the prospective employer asks whey you left your last job? see what I mean!!! take the loss and look forward to the next one, you will probably get stuffed on the brakes by a ■■■■■■■ a cbr400 who knows more about corner speed than you anyway :smiley:

Been there, done that etc! Find a buddy who can go to the trackday and give you the money, you’ve not lost any cash, kept your job and given a mate a treat all in one go - just a case of rebooking the trackday for another time :sunglasses:

If you pull a sickie now, you could well find yourself out of a job. Until you have worked at a company for more than a year you have basically no rights as far as taking them to tribunal for unfair dissmissal.

You need to decide which one you would rather lose a track day or your job? If i was your boss i would sack you if you pulled a sickie, i’m not saying that to be cruel just seeing it from the bosses viewpoint. :wink:

cheers for the advice

mike 68. you wouldn’t be mike Edwards by any chance would you?

joedwyer1:
mike 68. you wouldn’t be mike Edwards by any chance would you?

No, good luck on your future trackdays, wish I had the time (and the cash) to do a couple :imp:

oh right. I used to race at new era with mike edwards a couple of years ago and i knew he has/had his own trucking firm so i saw your signature and put 2 and 2 toghether to get 5. good luck with yours and catch me if you can!!! :smiley: