Some advice?

Hi folks… newbie here looking for some advice!

I currently work in IT although the thought of sitting behind a desk for the next 20-30 years is killing me, so I’m looking at applying for a class 2 licence.

I have 2 kids and I enjoy the flexibility with my current employer, although I appreciate this is something which I will most likely need to give up should I pursue a different career path. In saying that, I wouldn’t mind working early starts or even nights for a while to get my foot in the door somewhere.

Are there any specific courses which would result in more flexible working hours (i.e. ADR training?)

The other thing concerning me is the amount temporary posts currently advertised by agencies as I’ve always had a permanent contract with all my previous employers. Is this the norm with most HGV drivers, or is it different if you avoid the agency route and seek employment direct with a client?

I’m really just exploring a few options at the moment, so any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Cheers!

-Chris

It’s more apparent at the moment that agencies are recruiting. The job boards round here are filled with agencies looking. But just so you know, just because they have advertisements everywhere. It doesn’t automatically mean there are jobs behind the advert. There are also 2 firms in my area that seem to be recruiting permanently, that is a fairly bad sign it’s not a firm you want anywhere near.

My company is recruiting, but we refuse to advertise. It would see us inundated with applications at the moment. We get enough people ringing in on the off chance that keeps us ticking over. So there are permanent jobs out there, but you need to get on the phone to find them.

Flexibility completely depends on the company you will work for. But overall companies will probably expect you to be flexible, not the other way round. Agencies will allow probably the most flexibility, but even then it’s not a given. If you turn too many jobs down or complain about what you are given. you will quickly go to the bottom of the list or go to the crappy customers no one else wants to work at.

ADR, HIAB etc may help you get a foot in the door, but unless you are going to need a qual for the job you are doing, it’s a lot of money to spend for the ticket to sit idle. It won’t guarantee you anything.

This may burst your bubble a bit. There is good money out there and also great jobs. But for the majority of people it’s long hard hours for low hourly rates. Class 2 will most likely see you in multidrop working 12+ hour days 5 days a week. Our drivers can clear 3k a month in there back pocket, but they don’t see home 6 nights a week. If you go to near enough anything other than a family firm, you will simply be a number, the company won’t care that you have two kids or that you possibly have a life outside work.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been in the industry for 16/17 years now and will probably be in it for the rest of my career. There are good jobs out there with good flexibility and great pay. When you find one, let me know so I can apply too.

On the plus side: there will always be a need for HGV drivers, so once you’ve got some experience under you belt there’s no reason you should be out of work for any significant period - look at the lockdown, we became “key workers”, for once we could be seen as essential. Also it is a job where increasing age actually counts in your favour rather than working against you. Additionally, if you find yourself in a job and hating it, fairly easy to walk from that and get another job.

There are other opportunities that can crop up once you’re established, eg getting into Transport Planning or even becoming a Transport Manager. I certainly don’t regret making the choice to get into trucking.

As for the down side… Trucktruck86 has covered that already

Agencies on the high street and online will post and advertise the same job numerous times in the windows or online , giving the false impression that they have lots of jobs available .
Most drivers obtained full time jobs after being on the agency supplying the company, as the firm got to trust you and not damage their kit and turn up for work on time .
But don’t expect your own dedicated truck in the beginning as you may have to cab hop or swap vehicles after every shift .
ADR is normally paid by the employer, it’s a weeks course , either residential ( Hotel, guest house or B&B ) either packages or tankers or both, multiple choice answers.
Some offer a discount if you live a certain mileage away from the course venue .