Some advice please......

Hi, in 2009 I got really interested in becoming a truck driver so I took the theory test and HPT and passed them.

Due to being skint and then after a while losing interest, I never got round to taking the practical test. I have until August this year to take my practical and I’m determined to do it now!

My first question is - if I just take my Class C practical before August, will i be able to take the C+E test after August?

Second question - I’m still a bit confused about the Driver CPC? Do the driving schools do that as part of the practical? Or do you do the CPC on your own like you do with the theory test?

Thank you.

I reckon…

Once you have passed the Rigid test you can do your C+E anytime after.

The CPC is not be part of your C+E training as standard.

Hope this helps,

Hi Bulla

So long as you pass the Cat ‘C’ test before your theory expires you can take the C+E anytime afterwards.

As for your 2nd question there are 2 Driver CPC tests to take. The 1st one is Module 2 - Case Study. This is a 50 question test taken at any theory centre. Currently the pass mark is 38, although I have heard a rumour that this may be changing to 40 soon.

Once that is passed you can take the Module 4 test - Practical demonstration. This is done with a vehicle at an LGV test centre. It can be taken either before or after passing the driving test and not neccessarily on the same day. Some schools include it in with the price of the lessons and some charge extra for it.

Hope this helps

Regards

John
Flair Training

I’ve just booked my CPC Case Studies test, I didn’t do this in 2009 because it didn’t come into effect until September 2009.

Has anyone here done this?

Do I need to buy a revision book like I did with the theory test or is it just simple common sense?

Thanks.

I found a lot of the Case Studies were common sense - although reading up about drivers hours and LGV speed limits would be a good idea (just from my experience).

There is a DSA guide to Driving Large Goods Vehicles and the most up to date one has CPC information included. Not cheap but very informative.

Dean

dar1976:
I found a lot of the Case Studies were common sense - although reading up about drivers hours and LGV speed limits would be a good idea (just from my experience).

There is a DSA guide to Driving Large Goods Vehicles and the most up to date one has CPC information included. Not cheap but very informative.

Dean

All that kind of information will be in the book i bought to do the theory test then won’t it? i can just read through that right?

[/quote]
All that kind of information will be in the book i bought to do the theory test then won’t it? i can just read through that right?
[/quote]
I guess that depends which ‘theory book’ you bought. There is very little official published information about the drivers CPC but what little is out there I found very useful and informative.

Dean

There are several books available on the subject both in paper and downloadable PDF from the official DSA bookstore. You can see them at

tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1277398

In my opinion the best one for passing the Module 2 is The Offical DSA guide to Driving Goods Vehicles. Not an easy read but you will find all you need to know in it.

Saying that lots of people have passed without it using a combination of common sense, knowledge from the theory test and reading the case scenario carefully (and probably a bit of luck as well)

Regards

John
Flair Training

The pass mark for the Driver module 2 case study is changing from the current 38/50 to 40/50 as from 21st March.

LGVTrainer:
There are several books available on the subject both in paper and downloadable PDF from the official DSA bookstore. You can see them at

tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1277398

In my opinion the best one for passing the Module 2 is The Offical DSA guide to Driving Goods Vehicles. Not an easy read but you will find all you need to know in it.

Saying that lots of people have passed without it using a combination of common sense, knowledge from the theory test and reading the case scenario carefully (and probably a bit of luck as well)

Regards

John
Flair Training

nice one, cheers. just ordered that book but from amazon, £6 on there!

got my case studies on the 16th april then i’ll be booking my practical!