Solstor

Anyone used Solstar or done any work for them? See them looking for fridge trailer drivers for Euro work in a few mags.

I spoke to them a couple of years back and the rates were very low cant see it having changed much.

Had a feeling that would be the feedback. Any ideas what they were paying?

2011 worked out about 1.25 per mile i think. If you needed to hire a trailer i think they was about 150 a week.

Thanks for info

Spoke to them last year, about £1.30 per mile, paid all round and £225 per week for a trailer. They say mostly single deliveries, trucks must be LEZ compliant.

its a great setup isn’t it? you pay for their finance on the trailer, in effect buying the trailer for them and in return they pay you peanuts for hauling the goods in it!

O/Ds are going wrong somewhere!

routier:
its a great setup isn’t it? you pay for their finance on the trailer, in effect buying the trailer for them and in return they pay you peanuts for hauling the goods in it!

O/Ds are going wrong somewhere!

Agree 100% bonkers :exclamation: :exclamation: :neutral_face:

they never mentioned anything to me about renting a trailer they asked if I had a trailer, though the ad I saw was looking for truks with their own trailers. Cheaper to buy trailer then rent at those prices

Better to have your own plain trailer …of course. Just have back up for if it goes wrong when
abroad…including tyres as it can be VERY expensive.

Give me a bag of cash & I’ll burn it for you, there is no charge for this service.

Agree with neville on tryes had 2 trailer blowouts last couple months
One in france bill was £1700

One in spain £1275

Both normal supersingles and no other damage

Do the east euro drivers who come over still carry a spare wheel.ive not noticed this lately.do brits carry spares when driving in europe

nearly there:
Do the east euro drivers who come over still carry a spare wheel.ive not noticed this lately.do brits carry spares when driving in europe

Why send a lorry anywhere without a spare wheel or two? I always have at least one steer. It’ll go on the trailer or drive axle temporarily.

Yes i agree why would you not have spares but in practice does brits carry them.i ask as a poster here states charges he got to fix blow outs,if a spare was present then no charges.the problem may be weight as two wheels may put you over if your carry a heavy load

TIP do not provide spares …and prefer to call out a tyre company of their own choice. If its tyre abuse the company / haulier gets charged…Which usually leads to a disagreement or two. Especially when their tyre policy leaves a lot to be desired.
We used to have two spare wheels on every trailer…double carriers on the rear …but so many got stolen…even though chained on.
Then…Health and Safety rules do not allow drivers to be changing blow outs by the side of the road…and in fairness makes sense as its ■■■■ dangerous.

Nevilles right a few reasons if on a french motorway
You can actually be fined for carrying out changing a wheel or any repair including in a services and their people have to come out to you
Same if you have a truck on r&m and they rob you

Had £500 couple years back for flat batteries on one

2/. Forever being stolen. Extra weight even if call fitters out 99% time
Wont change it

I have some trls with them on couple rentals without
If driver somewhere safe to change pay them to change
But guarantee it be wrong whel that blows

AFAIK It used to be law to carry spare wheels for each wheel size in Spain, so a single was enough if you ran twins on the trailer or two were required if you had a super single/step frame :question:

I was told by a Frenchman that a tyre fitter in France earns as much as a Doctor. Don’t know if it is true, but with the amount charged for a call-out, it wouldn’t surprise me.

gettin-on:
Nevilles right a few reasons if on a french motorway
You can actually be fined for carrying out changing a wheel or any repair including in a services and their people have to come out to you
Same if you have a truck on r&m and they rob you

Had £500 couple years back for flat batteries on one

2/. Forever being stolen. Extra weight even if call fitters out 99% time
Wont change it

I have some trls with them on couple rentals without
If driver somewhere safe to change pay them to change
But guarantee it be wrong whel that blows

Cant change your own tyre so you are forced to call someone out? got it sewn up the French, licence to print their own money.

If you live near Dover, you could setup your own tyre repair co and undercut them!