Solar panels ?

Anybody out there got them or seriously looking into having them ? We’ve had a look on the tinterweb but there seems so many companies around now fitting them. We don’t intend to move again so It’s something we are considering.

My next door neighbour had 15 fitted on his roof about three months ago.My concern would be how long do they last,also where we live its very windy at times. I would need to know a lot more about them before I would consider installing any.

I was two Weeks ago Home for a day and noticed how many have Solar Panels on or around there Houses.
There is a system to sell Power to power Company if you produce more as you need.

Ain’t that just gone ■■■■ up cos goverment can’t afford the subsidy? Without the subsidy it takes a decade or two to pay for itself at least, which is no good. Hopefully in the future science will improve and make solar worth while but i think thats a long way off yet.

A high court Judge has ruled against the cut in what the Government proposing regarding tariffs.It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Dave the Renegade:
A high court Judge has ruled against the cut in what the Government proposing regarding tariffs.It will be interesting to see the outcome.

I didn’t realise that, I’ll try and find out more about it.

If you are in the Southern part of the country with a South facing roof and the subsidy is available ,then its a good idea.Otherwise dont bother.

alamcculloch:
If you are in the Southern part of the country with a South facing roof and the subsidy is available ,then its a good idea.Otherwise dont bother.

The front is directly south facing, were elevated and yes south ish, I’ll just like to hear from people who might have an idea on how much a month/quarter they get back from selling it on.

If you had them installed before December the 7th/8th then it was an absolute winner financially, however the recent changes have made it far less attractive.

My advice would be to wait until all this business about the changes to the tarrifs settles down and see what happens. The price of the systems of falling all the time (a 4kWp system would have been 15k 12mo ago, you can get them for under 10k now) and so even with the reduced feed in tarrifs it won’t be long before it makes sense again.

Paul

repton:
If you had them installed before December the 7th/8th then it was an absolute winner financially, however the recent changes have made it far less attractive.

My advice would be to wait until all this business about the changes to the tarrifs settles down and see what happens. The price of the systems of falling all the time (a 4kWp system would have been 15k 12mo ago, you can get them for under 10k now) and so even with the reduced feed in tarrifs it won’t be long before it makes sense again.

Paul

there could be some deals about soon, according there’s a large quantity of panels on the water , ordered before the Feed In Tariff was reduced , mid jan may be a good time to look at this :wink:

Get a windmill?

Be very careful when reading the contract of these ones who supply them for nowt. With most of them, they’re worded in favour of the supplier with many of them stating you have to get permission from them to sell your house :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

we moved into a new build in 09 with 4 on, was told 2 was enough for house our size but that with the extra 2 we would make a huge saving…■■■■■■■■ dont save nowt boiler packed up last summer no hot water…should of been heated by solar panels so what were they doin? also my mum n dad looked into getting some was quoted £14,000 till i talked them out of it then company rung back 3 times each time lowering there quote till eventually they said they could do it for £8000 yes from £14,000 to £8,000 i know of sevral people unhappy with them. BUT I DO KNOW OF SOMEONE LOCAL WHO SWEARS ITS THE BEST THING HES EVER DONE COST HIM NR ON £37,000…hes got 18 of them in his garden. so depends on how much your gona spend out and what your expecting back in my opinion no. better ways to spend hard earnt dollar. and know the laws changed again so new builds dont have to have them i wonder y?

Hiya…i have a friend who had them fitted about 7 years ago. he lives on the somerset border and gets good weather.
the company who sold him this system told him the water heating panels would have the water warm before 8 am its
more like 3pm. the electric panel is more efficent but not as the company said… my friend is a very cleaver retired
company director who understands the paper work but still got taken in…
i have a naibour who had them fitted a couple of years ago… i don’t know if the panels work. I CAN say all the trees
have been trimmed and then chopped down around his house as though theres not enough light getting at the panels
so i assume he’s not getting the results the sellers told him…I’d wait a while to see more results.
I have them on my motorhome and they keep the batteries topped up when we have the tele on and that panel is
only about 4 ft x 2ft6 ins…good luck…
John

Can I ask what you do if you need to repair the roof? Is it a big job to shift them I wonder?