So you dont want to pay for a Truck Satnav?

If your on android market their is a app called aponia with height length and weight limits its not set up on Apple market yet and it’s free

Aponia looks pretty good - certainly good enough for occasional use. Not sure what the licensing situation is with the maps though, as it appears to install a “trial” version during initial setup. You can buy more maps for it online though (at a cost of €50 - €80). It’s not immediately clear whether the “trial” map is time limited or crippled in some other way.

Aponia Truck work pretty well once you get used to it. You get 60 days trial then its €79.90 for UK and Euro maps. Sygic Truck is good but dearer.
Copilot Truck is €99. One thing I do know is that Garmin and Tom Tom updates are a PITA to do and often go wrong. £260 for a brick aint good.

yeah i remember the old days
someone draws a little map for you on a scrap piece of paper
you try to look at it as you approach the customers premises while trying to hold the steering wheel
and half the roads and roundabouts are missing
just get the tom tom 5150 and stop messing about with your phone

fdm:
It must be old age, but I can’t seem to remember how I managed to get around and occasionally find places, without hitting bridges and getting stuck in country lanes, before they invented the Satnav…

How did anything ever get delivered?

Satnav. £250+
Phillips Trucker Road atlas. £20

[at the next roundabout, take the fourth exit]

I still use maps but I will use my phone as backup. It has a satnav, google, google maps which has street view so I still see no need to buy a standalone satnav when I have all the tools that I need. I have even even used it as a dashcam at times although I have to admit that it I far from ideal for that role. It even makes phone calls so if I get really stuck then I can google the company and give them a call :smiley:

truck sat nav, 58 quid of fleabay, does all the weight,length, height restrictions and has been spot on.

How many of you carry map books ■■? How many carry map books with bridge heights in ■■

Thats all I use… no fancy mobile app, no tomtom {although have tomtom in the car}

buy a truckers road atlas, get one of ebay for 40 quid (which will make you do silly things but will get you there in the end) or pray…I got a Garmin for £272 and it has, accompanied by a good dose of common sense< kept me out of harms way :smiley:

RedditchJay:
How many of you carry map books ■■? How many carry map books with bridge heights in ■■

Thats all I use… no fancy mobile app, no tomtom {although have tomtom in the car}

Me,I carry Phillips Truck Atlas & London A-Z,always have done.Also recently started to use a car tom tom,which comes in handy for the last 1/2 mile or so.

RedditchJay:

I always have a map book with me, I have a phone with all the geeky stuff on, but usually find it quicker to ask someone near the destination, like we did in the old days.

I’ve got a Phillips Atlas. I’d gladly pay double for it if they did a plastic version, (a bit like the little atlas I have in my tank bag on my motorbike)

Won’t carry my truck atlas around with me, or it’d last about a fortnight.

Toddy2 - exactly… ask… look and watch the signs… MOST drops are on large industrial Estate {in my work} with good LGV access

Toddy2:
but usually find it quicker to ask someone near the destination, like we did in the old days.

I used to do that too in the old days Toddy, problem now is you either get the village idiot or someone who doesn’t speeka da Eengleesh.

the maoster:

Toddy2:
but usually find it quicker to ask someone near the destination, like we did in the old days.

I used to do that too in the old days Toddy, problem now is you either get the village idiot or someone who doesn’t speeka da Eengleesh.

Thats if you find a native. The foreigners are even worse :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: