So where exactly are all the alleged driving vacancies?

Even those that don’t work in the haulage industry, will have been bombarded with media headlines of ‘driver shortages’. Probably only taking a real interest when it mentions shortages on the shelves.

There are probably tens of thousands of drivers like me out there, that hold full hgv licences, got cpc and tacho cards etc, but perhaps working in other roles, semi retired, or indifferent to the whole idea of driving a truck again.

Now I keep getting texts off an outfit called Staffline, offering me up to £1300 week working for DHL, which I can guess straight off is just total tosh and simply unachievable. So okay, purely out of curiosity I look into this some more into the driver job scene and put some searches onto Indeed and a couple of other mainstream job sites and I simply don’t see all these jobs that desperately need filling. There the usual rigid work crud out there for the likes of Bidfood, Mueller and Pallet deliveries that appear with such regularity over the months and years, common sense tells you to simply avoid. Then there are the artic jobs that are either tramping or stupid o clock start times ( 2am - really!) and say what you will, some people do have homes, families and want some sort of life outside of work.

I won’t bring money into the equation, other than to say I did see one class two driving job being advertised, direct by the company rather than the agency at just £9 hour. That put it at just 11p hour above minimum wage, or about 50p day in your pocket after tax. However what I WASN’T seeing was a plethora of job vacancies for drivers, be it 7.5 tonners, rigids, or artics? If there IS a driver shortage and presumably hauliers have lots of vehicles sitting unused in yards everywhere, how come they aren’t advertising these jobs and really pushing hard to get people?

Assume your talking about direct employment rather than agency , as round here at least theres an overwhelming amount of choice when it comes to temp work. And most of it not even advertised I’ve found.

Firms are waiting it out for some kind of miracle solution to the problem and rather pay an agency £25 + hr for a driver they can bin off an hour before their shifts due.

As opposed to tieing someone into a contract paying say £15-18 ph that they will be lumbered with if rates drop again

With regards to the work, hours, start times- it’s that desperate out their that you can easily dictate what your working. I set my stall out for example no starts before 7am, no shifts planned for longer than 11 hours, no nights out, no self unloading,

I am talking about both direct work and agencies. The trucks are only making money when someone is sitting behind the wheel.

All the agencies are advertising in south Staffordshire and NW Midlands at the moment is the usual crud that nobody wants. The higher pay rates the agencies ‘appear’ to be offering, when you look more closely are ‘inclusive of holiday pay’. Trying to shaft or mislead people, is never going to go down well with folks and certainly makes you more wary of people you would actually want to deal with.

You won’t bring money into the equation, but mention it at the beginning of your post ( staffline £1300 ) ha ha

Haven’t you heard, all the jobs are in jeopardy… literally thousands of them.
Tbh if I was you I’d stop looking at jobs sites such as indeed, as everyone knows that the jobs on offer there are pointless and the people advertising on there are praying on the people daft enough to assume that they are able to get a good paying job via those sites.
As for earning a 4 figure sum through Staffline, yes £1000-£1300 gross is achievable for day work (no nights out), albeit not every week. How do I know, because I have done it albeit with a 6th shift

peirre:
Haven’t you heard, all the jobs are in jeopardy… literally thousands of them.
Tbh if I was you I’d stop looking at jobs sites such as indeed,

I put jeopardy in my satnav and it shows an image of a crying haulier■■?

I am the wrong side of sixty now, or right side depending on perspective, so wouldn’t embarrass myself applying for permanent driving jobs. I am extremely fit and active, but truly don’t want to be playing constant politics as a permanent driver, ‘trying to fit in’ or have folks trying to turn me into a ‘company man’. I do the job and go home.

I guess I am true ‘old skool’ of fill up with diesel and ■■■■ off for the day, all deliveries made, polite and courteous with customers and other road users, with the truck brought back in one piece every day. That statement probably makes me unemployable to many hauliers, but hey, I’m not the one with empty trucks standing idle in the yard.!! You reap what you sow and all that… :open_mouth:

There is tons of work out there, forget about general haulage, do Rdc work (on agency) and it’s not the case of fitting in because they welcome you with open arms.

Not sure how long this is going to carry on for but if you willing to put the hours in and work weekends you can earn big money. 8hr days is usually no problem and you can get decent money doing that.

Staffline the biggest agency in the country (I think) and I had no problems with them.

Alfa1M:
Assume your talking about direct employment rather than agency , as round here at least theres an overwhelming amount of choice when it comes to temp work. And most of it not even advertised I’ve found.

Firms are waiting it out for some kind of miracle solution to the problem and rather pay an agency £25 + hr for a driver they can bin off an hour before their shifts due.

As opposed to tieing someone into a contract paying say £15-18 ph that they will be lumbered with if rates drop again

This

Well, what a blast from the past, me old mate.
Nothing for 6 years then 5 posts in a morning. Were you locked up?

LIBERTY_GUY:
I guess I am true ‘old skool’

Last time you were here, you were crying about flouncing off a job because the truck had wind up windows

isaac hunt:
Last time you were here, you were crying about flouncing off a job because the truck had wind up windows

Why Isaac, how lovely to hear you are still about. Have the wife and kids returned yet?

As I seem to remember, said truck had a heap of faults that Vosa would have had an absolute field day with. Said firm has since had their operators license revoked due to poor maintenance and record keeping.

The jobs are more than likely the ones that require start times between 12 midnight and 4 in the morning and shifts that include working all or most weekends,the shifts that the established Drivers have said “not on your life” too.

lolipop:
The jobs are more than likely the ones that require start times between 12 midnight and 4 in the morning and shifts that include working all or most weekends,the shifts that the established Drivers have said “not on your life” too.

Nope. I can earn a grand a week doing 57hrs on nights or 61hrs on days including breaks without working weekends or starting between midnight to 4-am. Those hours are the average working week in this job.

LIBERTY_GUY:
However what I WASN’T seeing was a plethora of job vacancies for drivers, be it 7.5 tonners, rigids, or artics?

Are you sure you have your eyes open? My inbox is getting bombarded with them every day and I’m in East Yorkshire. Where I’m at has just taken on 15 drivers who started last week in addition to the three they took on a month before and that’s just at one of our three sites. Four of them came from nearby companies because the pay is much better so that’s two companies, one even right next door to us, looking for drivers. There’s so many agency in as well and they’re hiring extra units and trailers because basically we’re so busy it’s like the annual sale period all year round - the fleet is now probably at least 50% larger and still we’ve got loads of contract hauliers coming in. The 20 or so core agency drivers like myself haven’t had a day stood down with no work offered for over 2 years, other than who pays our wages we’re effectively permanent.

In Doncaster now a new record has been set for agency with Aligra paying £30/hr with guaranteed 10-12hr shifts for one of their contracts doing supermarket RDC work. Aligra are already paying £30/hr at Newton Aycliffe on their Lidl contract. They can only guarantee the work for all of August but given it’s food and the time of year they’ll be busy until January.

Either you’ve got your eyes closed or you’re living in the middle of nowhere if you’re not seeing lots of vacancies about and all paying far more than the £9 odd an hour you saw for that one job.

Conor:
Either you’ve got your eyes closed or you’re living in the middle of nowhere if you’re not seeing lots of vacancies about and all paying far more than the £9 odd an hour you saw for that one job.

Excluding the crud jobs that are ALWAYS being advertised (for years), which every area has for the rubbish home and shop delivery work etc, they just not there. Purely on numbers alone I truly aren’t seeing a plethora of job vacancies for drivers, which you’d expect to see if employers were really struggling to recruit on the alleged scale they are claiming. One hundred thousand driving vacancies equates to virtually every truck operator in the country having lorries standing idle long term and having to turn away work. If they are not advertising for staff, or letting it be known they have vacancies, then I would have expected the agencies to be plugging these like mad, but they are not?

I am beginning to wonder if there is actually a huge shortage of drivers at all, or if some companies have such a bad reputation that nobody wants to work for them, now they have lost their supply of cheap (and desperate) labour pool, post Brexit?

LIBERTY_GUY:
I am beginning to wonder if there is actually a huge shortage of drivers at all, or if some companies have such a bad reputation that nobody wants to work for them, now they have lost their supply of cheap (and desperate) labour pool, post Brexit?

I suspect that ^^^ is the crux of the matter.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Excluding the crud jobs that are ALWAYS being advertised…

Just did a search on Indeed for class 1 jobs Mansfield in Nottinghamshire and almost all are either £13 hour, daily rates equivalent the same or no pay rates mentioned which applies to loads of ads.

Only people offering slightly more are Nobel Foods farm deliveries (not going there for £100K), and some XPO contracts offering a suspicious 50K but no hourly rate. Not a company noted for paying over the odds, so suspect its b/s. Very little info on actual jobs.

Theres still one offering £140 day rate which is likely £9.33 amd £10.70 for class 1 as you knkw they’ll max the hours. Even DHL are only 30K.

Bizarrely, not seen a single agency ad onnthere so far. But obviously the great driver shortage isn’t driving up rates round here. There is a shortage in our place for sure, but its always been underpaid for ADR.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Even those that don’t work in the haulage industry, will have been bombarded with media headlines of ‘driver shortages’. Probably only taking a real interest when it mentions shortages on the shelves.

There are probably tens of thousands of drivers like me out there, that hold full hgv licences, got cpc and tacho cards etc, but perhaps working in other roles, semi retired, or indifferent to the whole idea of driving a truck again.

Now I keep getting texts off an outfit called Staffline, offering me up to £1300 week working for DHL, which I can guess straight off is just total tosh and simply unachievable. So okay, purely out of curiosity I look into this some more into the driver job scene and put some searches onto Indeed and a couple of other mainstream job sites and I simply don’t see all these jobs that desperately need filling. There the usual rigid work crud out there for the likes of Bidfood, Mueller and Pallet deliveries that appear with such regularity over the months and years, common sense tells you to simply avoid. Then there are the artic jobs that are either tramping or stupid o clock start times ( 2am - really!) and say what you will, some people do have homes, families and want some sort of life outside of work.

I won’t bring money into the equation, other than to say I did see one class two driving job being advertised, direct by the company rather than the agency at just £9 hour. That put it at just 11p hour above minimum wage, or about 50p day in your pocket after tax. However what I WASN’T seeing was a plethora of job vacancies for drivers, be it 7.5 tonners, rigids, or artics? If there IS a driver shortage and presumably hauliers have lots of vehicles sitting unused in yards everywhere, how come they aren’t advertising these jobs and really pushing hard to get people?

I get these texts as well.
The calculation seems to be based on 6 shifts per week working at the Sunday Night rate, Ltd rather than PAYE, with another rate mentioned for “accruing holiday”. I didn’t think that one could quote a rate that included “rolled up holiday pay”, but then again - few back me up on me saying “Water is Wet” as a statement of fact, I’ve found.

There are attempts out there to recruit full timers BUT these are at vastly inferior rates as to those already available on Agency these days.
The full timers, especially the unionized full timers - resent very much that some upstart agency can come in doing the same job alongside them for near double the hourly rate they get - but that just makes the “shortage” even more accute, as agency drivers driven away by the clandestine actions of the local unionized workforce - creates a mass of hours that need to be covered, and guess what? Many a Union will insist on local agreements such as “Not allowed to work more than 10 hours on nights” meaning that 12 hour night shift - then doesn’t get covered, unless they can find a thick-skinned agency (likely a foreigner) who’ll take the flack, come in, and do the job for £20+ per hour, or whatever.

Just as politics have become more and more polarized these past five years or so - so it is the same with the workforce “Them and Us” now refers to “Members vs Agency” rather than “Members vs Management”. Not surprising when so many “Members” ended up being booted upstairs, and becoming “acting” managers, perhaps because they came off driving due to one-too-many prangs… No dismissal for these types, but woe betide anyone who challenges their hallowed position as “Elevated Failed Driver” !

Thus, the hourly rate for agency only - keeps on rising.

I see Aldi are pushing up their new recruits’ full timer rate - but only by a little bit…
Let’s see how much success they have…
I can’t say I’m tempted as yet… :smiling_imp:

If we were to have “Brutal Capitalism” in full play here

…Not only the weakly-funded yards would go under, but the big boys that refuse to offer decent full time contracts - would eventually find that after paying £20ph+ for their block of drivers, week in and week out because they refused to offer £18ph wear-the-shirt contracts - that this multiples of £2ph+ they lose per hour per shift per driver - eventually brings them down financially…

Can anyone on here honestly tell me that say, Stobarts paying through the nose - is helping their bottom line?

Stobarts were always looking bad on their books, and now they’ve been quietly taken over… I don’t think it was the “Prestige of the Name” that ever helped them out much financially though.

Winseer:
Can anyone on here honestly tell me that say, Stobarts paying through the nose - is helping their bottom line?

But they are not.

I saw there ‘new enhanced’ pay rates at one of their sites last week, on a flyer in the drivers reception, and didn’t manage to pick one up,(As I would have posted it.) but I wonder why people go and work for them, when there are better paid jobs out there.

Their rates are certainly not going to see them fail soon due to wages, that’s for sure.

Ken.

Yes theirs some utter tosh jobs amongst the agency, always was a case if it seems too good to be true…

But right now there’s also some gems hidden amongst it.

Yes holiday pays usually rolled into it to make it more attractive. I prefer it like that tbh as now I just tell agency I’m not working next week rather than seeing if I’ve accrued enough holidays. I’ve worked it out as worth about £1.60/HR if you base it on 28 days holiday.

A search for ‘‘hgv driver’’ on indeed returns 16,163 jobs advertised. Granted some of them may be looking to hire more than 1 driver but many ads will no doubt be repeats of one another or generic agency ads or different agencies advertising for the same job.