so sad

A lorry driver and his son from north Wales have been killed in a road accident in Spain.
Darren Evans, 34, and his son David aged nine, from Bangor, died instantly when the juggernaut went out of control.

The lorry crashed through railings and plunged 150ft into a river.

Mr Evans worked for a Spanish company and normally used a ferry from Santander to the UK, but it was not running, so he was driving to Calais.

Police in the Basque port city of Bilbao have launched an investigation to establish the cause of the accident.

It is thought the brakes may have failed.

Mr Evans, who lived at Queen’s Avenue,was driving an articulated refrigerated lorry and had taken his son along for the ride.

They were travelling on a motorway skirting the busy port on Spain’s north coast.

The kids were his life

Sister-in-law Margeret Evans
The empty articulated lorry ripped open the roadside safety rail for 30 yards and then fell into the River Cadagua on the edge of the Basque port city.

It hit the riverbank below the motorway and broke into three pieces before being almost totally submerged in the river, swollen by heavy rain.

Relatives had described Mr Evans as “a real family man”, who only lived for his children.

He had worked for the same Spanish company for seven years.

He would drive his left-hand drive lorry to Scotland at the start of the week to pick up fresh fish produce and then deliver it to Santander.

He was an experienced driver and knew the road very well.

Mr Evans often took his son and other family members, including nephews and nieces, on the trip.

Change of route

He used to use the 24-hour ferry from Santander to Britain when his son was with him, in order to break up the journey.

On Thursday, however, the ferry was not running, so he was heading for Calais when the accident happened.

Mr Evans had seperated from his long-term partner, Sian Bennett, but they remained close because of their children, David and three-year-old Carla.

Like others in his family Mr Evans was a very big Leeds United fan. His son was given “Leeds” as a middle name, in honour of the team.

“He was a family man and the kids were his life,” said sister-in-law Margaret Evans.

She said the whole family felt “numb” after receiving news of the tragedy.

The family were informed by Mr Evans’ Spanish employers.

Relatives are hoping to have the bodies flown home as soon as possible.

Begocha Iozola, a native of San Sebastian who lives within 15 minutes of the motorway, told BBC Wales that locals regarded the road as “one of the most dangerous in Spain”.

Ms Iozola, who has visited Wales, compared the stretch of motorway to the roads between Aberystwyth and Cardiff.

She said a number of twists and turns had to be negotiated, along with numerous tunnels and high bridges

I heard about this on the news today,

Very sad.

My sympathy to his family.

yeah its in the transport news :wink: :cry: :cry: my sympathies go out to his family at this very sad time,

it’s always sad when we loose a fellow friend,even if we knew him or not but when there is kids involved it seems to make it harder to take.very sad indeed :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

my heart goes out to his family
he was the same age as me
a sad loss
jon

Without doubt,a sad loss to the industry. :frowning:

We may gripe about the actions of ather drivers when we are out on the road,but he was doing exactly the same job as us,and like most of us,had probably done it all his life,and his son was the same age as my youngest daughter.

Deepest sympathy to his family.

Ken.

I also add my condolances to the family at this sad time.

Very sad and it makes you stop and think. My thoughts are with his family.

Ditto to the above :frowning: :frowning:

It’s a terrible incident… And the son was only 9… :cry:

I feel for those left behind… :cry: :cry:

Luv
Chrisie… :frowning:

There was an incident the Friday before last under similar cicumstances involving a Belgian truck.

The 24 year old driver and his 2yo son were killed just outside Dunkerque after coming from the ferry and being involved in a head on smash with an Italian truck going the other way.
His girlfriend was seriously injured,as was the Italian driver,and the pics in the local paper last Saturday were horrific.You could barely recognise the truck.

My sympathy to the family…

Deepest sympathy to the family.
they must be devastated,my heart goes out to them.

It is very sad!

Accidents happen, they always will!

But it also shows us that this job we do is a dangerous one!
lose your concentration for a second it could and quite often does spell mahem!

My thoughts go out to the family & friends!

Nothing to say… Gutted :cry: :cry:

Very, very sad. My heart goes out to the family and friends. R.I.P

My deepest sympathy to the family.
they must be devastated,my heart goes out to them.

I am deeply saddened by this and send my deepest sympathies to all the family.

As I often take my Son along with me in the truck, I am deeply saddened by this.
What makes it worse is I also know the road and it is very twisty and care is needed.
My sympathys to the family.

Regards

John Vasey

:cry: ,froggy

My sympathys to the family and friends :cry: :cry: