So I did my first days driving professionally today

Every driver in the yard was really understanding and helpful before I started, saying take your time and get out and look and thankfully they sent me with another driver to help me out. First drop was in Birmingham and what a ■■■■ hole that place is, I had to drive in the warehouse and I thought I was going to get killed by the so called staff, telling me speed up inside the warehouse, rolling their eyes at me even though I said it was my first day, it looked like this place hired directly from the local prison so it didn’t help my nerves very much and it was difficult getting out of there. My second drop went much smoother and I even told the bloke how much friendlier they were as they knew it was my first day. My next collection and delivery was fine too until the second driver took over and completed the rest of the drops.

One of the main things that bothered me was people kept on telling me to reverse faster, I’m not going to reverse faster than 1mph. My other issue is how do I find out my total work time so I know when to take a break? I know how to find my total driving time but it’s difficult to figure out everything while you have drops to deliver.

Forgot to say I was in a 18 tonne rigid, that thing is difficult to drive after learning in a 12 tonne!

TAKE AS LONG AS YOU BLOODY WELL WANT - STUFF EM!!! :imp:

Also don’t dwell on it or worry about it, as you will pick up the pace as your confidence and experience grows. It’s probably good that you’re slow and steady, as the boss would prefer that than hearing a loud crunch! :laughing:

As for working out your breaks mate, I guess you are talking about Working Time Directive, and the easy thing to do here is just ensure that you take a 15 min break BEFORE 6 hours of your shift has gone by, and then take a 30 min a bit later to reset your driving time. That way the WTD will pretty much take care of it’s self…

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

I’ve had my licence for nearly 3 weeks and hoping to have my first “drive” on Saturday!

Tbh you are the driver so you just go at whatever speed you are comfortable with!

Well done though on your first day out! I’m sure it will only get better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:
TAKE AS LONG AS YOU BLOODY WELL WANT - STUFF EM!!! :imp:

Also don’t dwell on it or worry about it, as you will pick up the pace as your confidence and experience grows. It’s probably good that you’re slow and steady, as the boss would prefer that than hearing a loud crunch! :laughing:

As for working out your breaks mate, I guess you are talking about Working Time Directive, and the easy thing to do here is just ensure that you take a 15 min break BEFORE 6 hours of your shift has gone by, and then take a 30 min a bit later to reset your driving time. That way the WTD will pretty much take care of it’s self…

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

I pretty much ignored everybody who told me to reverse faster, my driving assessor the day before made it clear to me to take my time as it’s safer and nobody is giving to give you a pat on the back for reversing quickly. What I mean by WTD is how do I display it on the tachograph, it’s a bit confusing for me since it’s my first time using one really, it displays driving time and things like that but not my total work time, is it possible? I just got quite flustered today with everything else going on

Tricky 21 Jan:
I’ve had my licence for nearly 3 weeks and hoping to have my first “drive” on Saturday!

Tbh you are the driver so you just go at whatever speed you are comfortable with!

Well done though on your first day out! I’m sure it will only get better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah everybody who has been in that situation understands, it’s just the people who can’t even drive a car trying to tell the newbie HGV driver what to do. I hope your first drive goes well and don’t worry about being nervous! :slight_smile:

As Evil said, don’t let it bother you. They’d be the first to complain if you rocketed back and smashed something up. I still reverse back slowly, don’t care if people start moaning. I’d rather they be moaning, than having to explain why I’ve smashed up the warehouse door.

When you are learning to drive or even on an assessment for a job it’s all about being safe. Nice controlled safe driving.

Soon as you’ve got the job it’s " hurry the ■■■■ up!!"

Nice one sounds like you did good. Question do you guys buy and carry your own tachograph paper and sheets or get them from he companys / agencies?

spacemanZ10:
Nice one sounds like you did good. Question do you guys buy and carry your own tachograph paper and sheets or get them from he companys / agencies?

When I was on agency I always carried a backup box of printout rolls. Went to a few gigs where there wasn’t any in the machine and no one was around.

Thanks Radar, will pick some up.

Couldn’t agree with others more. Your the driver go at your pace. I’ve been in my gig for 3 or so months now and extremely comfortable with my rig but I still take care and go at a nice steady pace when reversing. You don’t get extra credit or a pat on the back for going as fast as you can and doing it in 1 but I do know my boss appreciates the drivers that take care and complete their duties safely and efficiently no matter how much time it takes or however many shunts it takes. Also don’t forget your skills will come and greatly the more you do and it presents your firm in a great light if their customers see careful, cautious and safe drivers doing the job correctly. I always get my charts / rolls off of my boss ovi depending if I’m in “my” regular rig or not. Ryan

Sounds like Palletline at Birmingham? If so yeh what a place - has to be the least favourite place I have visited! If it isn’t Palletline that’s another one to avoid lol.

As others have said drive at the speed that you feel comfortable at - when reversing I find the F’ Em attitude is the safer attitude to have, although it can be difficult to exercise it all the time especially when others are trying to heap up the pressure!

We’ve all been there pal. As others have said, taking your time to get it right is spot on. It’s called being professional. That’s the difference between them (mortals) and us. Get it wrong in a car and chances are you’ll knacker just the car. Get it wrong in a truck… I remember my first solo run. I had to back down a side street off a busy main road. I blocked both lanes and brought Rusholme to a standstill. Bothered at the time. Wouldn’t even register now. In a few months you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about. :sunglasses: