So here we go -my first diary

I thought I would do a diary of my weeks work. When I started I did not know what would happen but really wanted to do a whole week as 4 wheel rigid driver. Here’s what happened. I did take some pics but they were not that good and I also have to work out how to add pics to this site. This diary is knowhere near as interesting as switchlogic’s video’s nor as good as euromat’s diary’s but for those of you who think a rigid driver spends his time on multidrop then think again!

Mon.
In the yard for just after 0530hrs for a 0545hrs start. Put all my stuff in the cab then it’s in with the card,daily checks,then round the corner to Smurfitt Kappa for a 0600hrs load to the Chichester area. I am now expecting a couple of hours in the bunk but no the load is ready and by 0650hrs I am out of the gate with 19 large pallets of cardboard double stacked and strapped down for Runcton. It’s back to our depot to pick up a pallet for Basingstoke on my way down and to make a cup of tea.

It’s half term this week so traffic is quiet and an easy run to Basingstoke,drop the pallet off then down to Runcton. Get to Runcton just before 1100hrs and they are loading a lorry with waste plastic so time to get the straps off and make a cup of tea and an hour in the bunk before they unload me.

I phone the office and am told to head for Dartford to pick up a load of empty octabins to go to Telford. I get to Dartford around 1430hrs and they are ready. They are flatpacked onto pallets and banded but I still have to juggle to get them on as thay are oversized. After strapping them well down I leave there about 1530hrs and head for Telford. I stop at Newport Pagnell for an hour and then continue to Wednesfield where I park for the night at 2000hrs. I was going to stop at a customers premises but the gates are locked so park around the corner. After a brief read on the kindle it’s off to bed.

Totals for the day 14.25hrs duty 627kms 9hrs 41mins driving.

Tues.
Up at 0600hrs and after a wash & brush up,tea and cereal it’s a 0630 start for Telford. the place does not come up on the satnav and after googling the customer the postcode is wrong. With the correct postcode I am on site by 0730hrs and the lorry is empty by 0750hrs. I phone the office and have a 1100hrs collection in Wellingborough for Avonmouth which workd well as the lorry is in for service at Scania Avonmouth tonight. I arrive in Wellingborough at 1045hrs and everything is ready. I have an hour in the bunk whilst they load me and after strapping everything down I leave there at 1230 hrs. I arrive at Avonmouth at 1545hrs and they take an hour to unload me then It’s straight round to Scania where I get a courtesy car to go home. I arrive home at 1745hrs which is when I book off.

Totals for the day 11.25hrs duty 410kms 6hrs 17mins driving.

Weds.
I book on at 0700hrs and drive to Scania. I have to load just around the corner at 0830hrs with 2 cabinets. Then off to yate to load timber for James Lathem Wigston. I arrive at Wigston at b1245hrs and they unload me right away whilst they also look up a collection address I have in Leicester for another cabinet. I cook some food in their microwave and am just about to eat when the boss phones. The cabinets have to go to Tamworth and he alsp wants me to laod in Cheltenham tonight-tough I’m having my dinner!

I pick up the cabinet in Leicester about 1415hrs and am then off to Tamworth. The customer is waiting and it does not take long to get the 3 cabinets off.

I arrive in Cheltenham at 1800hrs and as they want to go home I am loaded and strapped down by 1830hrs for 0800hrs Magna Park and Cobley transport just outside Leicester. I take a 45 min break at Vale Park, Evesham then carry on and park at Cobley Transport, Stoney Stanton.

Totals for the day 14.5hrs duty 523kms 9hrs 20mins driving.

Thurs.
I’m up early to try and get the Cobley Transport delivery off first which I do and am at Lutterworth for 0740hrs and out of the gate at 0745hrs!!! I have to go to Nottingham to load for Bicester,High Wycombe and Ammanford. I get there just after 0900hrs and am loaded and strapped down by 1000hrs. I have a 45 min break on the A43 and then go to Bicester shopping village which is a nightmare of a place. I make my way to High Wycombe which is a regular job for us and the forklift driver soon has me unloaded. It’s then back to the yard as the Ammanford is not required until Monday.

I arrive back at the yard at 1815hrs and pop into the office to see whats on tomorrow-local. I book off at 1830hrs.

Totals for the day 12hrs duty 467kms 8hrs 10mins driving.

Fri.

I book on at 0715hrs and after my daily checks pull round to the yard to take the Ammanford off. I then go to Barnwood and Cheltenham. The barnwood has to go to the yard and the Cheltenham has to go to Avonmouth. On the way to Avonmouth the boss phones and want’s to know if I want to load Bristol tonight for a 0800hrs delivery in London tomorrow-oh yes!!

I tip Avonmouth then go to Longwell Green to load some cardboard then back to the depot to unload. I then go to Bristol to load a delivery for Rotherham monday which I take back to the yard then back into Bristol to the same place to load my London delivery.

The load was ready by 1630hrs and by 1700hrs I am on my way and park at Beauvais International at Hounslow which is a customer of ours where I get a shower and then something to eat.

Totals for the day 12.25hrs duty 400kms 7hrs 39mins driving.

Sat.

I book on at 0600hrs and after a quick stop at Clacket Lane I arrive at Woolich Arsenal at 0745hrs. I am delivering to the new shooting range being built for the 2012 olympics. I leave site at 0830hrs and am running back to Yate empty. I stop for a 45 minute break at reading services and arrive back at the yard at 1315hrs. After taking my stuff out of the lorry and completing paperwork I book off at 1345hrs and am finished until Monday.

Totals for the day 7.75hrs duty 367kms 5hrs 39mins driving.

So thats it- a week in the life of a 4 wheel rigid driver.

Good read, but I’m knackered after reading about all that work so I’m off for a lie down.

Coffeeholic:
Good read, but I’m knackered after reading about all that work so I’m off for a lie down.

Yeah but I was determined to do the week as it was. It’s not always that busy!

same here mate good read but blimey your busy reminds me of my time on a rigid every wednesday i had 9 drops round london starting at camden and finishing at lavender hill would normally take 2 hours maybe more once you finished argueing with traffic wardens!

bristolron:
I thought I would do a diary of my weeks work. When I started I did not know what would happen but really wanted to do a whole week as 4 wheel rigid driver. Here’s what happened. I did take some pics but they were not that good and I also have to work out how to add pics to this site. This diary is knowhere near as interesting as switchlogic’s video’s nor as good as euromat’s diary’s but for those of you who think a rigid driver spends his time on multidrop then think again!

Mon.
In the yard for just after 0530hrs for a 0545hrs start. Put all my stuff in the cab then it’s in with the card,daily checks,then round the corner to Smurfitt Kappa for a 0600hrs load to the Chichester area. I am now expecting a couple of hours in the bunk but no the load is ready and by 0650hrs I am out of the gate with 19 large pallets of cardboard double stacked and strapped down for Runcton. It’s back to our depot to pick up a pallet for Basingstoke on my way down and to make a cup of tea.

It’s half term this week so traffic is quiet and an easy run to Basingstoke,drop the pallet off then down to Runcton. Get to Runcton just before 1100hrs and they are loading a lorry with waste plastic so time to get the straps off and make a cup of tea and an hour in the bunk before they unload me.

I phone the office and am told to head for Dartford to pick up a load of empty octabins to go to Telford. I get to Dartford around 1430hrs and they are ready. They are [zb] onto pallets and banded but I still have to juggle to get them on as thay are oversized. After strapping them well down I leave there about 1530hrs and head for Telford. I stop at Newport Pagnell for an hour and then continue to Wednesfield where I park for the night at 2000hrs. I was going to stop at a customers premises but the gates are locked so park around the corner. After a brief read on the kindle it’s off to bed.

Totals for the day 14.25hrs duty 627kms 9hrs 41mins driving.

Tues.
Up at 0600hrs and after a wash & brush up,tea and cereal it’s a 0630 start for Telford. the place does not come up on the satnav and after googling the customer the postcode is wrong. With the correct postcode I am on site by 0730hrs and the lorry is empty by 0750hrs. I phone the office and have a 1100hrs collection in Wellingborough for Avonmouth which workd well as the lorry is in for service at Scania Avonmouth tonight. I arrive in Wellingborough at 1045hrs and everything is ready. I have an hour in the bunk whilst they load me and after strapping everything down I leave there at 1230 hrs. I arrive at Avonmouth at 1545hrs and they take an hour to unload me then It’s straight round to Scania where I get a courtesy car to go home. I arrive home at 1745hrs which is when I book off.

Totals for the day 11.25hrs duty 410kms 6hrs 17mins driving.

Weds.
I book on at 0700hrs and drive to Scania. I have to load just around the corner at 0830hrs with 2 cabinets. Then off to yate to load timber for James Lathem Wigston. I arrive at Wigston at b1245hrs and they unload me right away whilst they also look up a collection address I have in Leicester for another cabinet. I cook some food in their microwave and am just about to eat when the boss phones. The cabinets have to go to Tamworth and he alsp wants me to laod in Cheltenham tonight-tough I’m having my dinner!

I pick up the cabinet in Leicester about 1415hrs and am then off to Tamworth. The customer is waiting and it does not take long to get the 3 cabinets off.

I arrive in Cheltenham at 1800hrs and as they want to go home I am loaded and strapped down by 1830hrs for 0800hrs Magna Park and Cobley transport just outside Leicester. I take a 45 min break at Vale Park, Evesham then carry on and park at Cobley Transport, Stoney Stanton.

Totals for the day 14.5hrs duty 523kms 9hrs 20mins driving.

Thurs.
I’m up early to try and get the Cobley Transport delivery off first which I do and am at Lutterworth for 0740hrs and out of the gate at 0745hrs!!! I have to go to Nottingham to load for Bicester,High Wycombe and Ammanford. I get there just after 0900hrs and am loaded and strapped down by 1000hrs. I have a 45 min break on the A43 and then go to Bicester shopping village which is a nightmare of a place. I make my way to High Wycombe which is a regular job for us and the forklift driver soon has me unloaded. It’s then back to the yard as the Ammanford is not required until Monday.

I arrive back at the yard at 1815hrs and pop into the office to see whats on tomorrow-local. I book off at 1830hrs.

Totals for the day 12hrs duty 467kms 8hrs 10mins driving.

Fri.

I book on at 0715hrs and after my daily checks pull round to the yard to take the Ammanford off. I then go to Barnwood and Cheltenham. The barnwood has to go to the yard and the Cheltenham has to go to Avonmouth. On the way to Avonmouth the boss phones and want’s to know if I want to load Bristol tonight for a 0800hrs delivery in London tomorrow-oh yes!!

I tip Avonmouth then go to Longwell Green to load some cardboard then back to the depot to unload. I then go to Bristol to load a delivery for Rotherham monday which I take back to the yard then back into Bristol to the same place to load my London delivery.

The load was ready by 1630hrs and by 1700hrs I am on my way and park at Beauvais International at Hounslow which is a customer of ours where I get a shower and then something to eat.

Totals for the day 12.25hrs duty 400kms 7hrs 39mins driving.

Sat.

I book on at 0600hrs and after a quick stop at Clacket Lane I arrive at Woolich Arsenal at 0745hrs. I am delivering to the new shooting range being built for the 2012 olympics. I leave site at 0830hrs and am running back to Yate empty. I stop for a 45 minute break at reading services and arrive back at the yard at 1315hrs. After taking my stuff out of the lorry and completing paperwork I book off at 1345hrs and am finished until Monday.

Totals for the day 7.75hrs duty 367kms 5hrs 39mins driving.

So thats it- a week in the life of a 4 wheel rigid driver.

Bristolron, a brilliant read but I don’t know how you do it, charging around like a blue ar*** fly. Oh for the good old days a few tales and long distance diaries are on
http://www.laurencekiely.co.uk
Good luck with your work here in the UK. The last rigid I drove was an AEC something or other. As for a bunk, it didn’t have one! Good luck mate, you are certainly making the effort.
Laurence

nice diary that :slight_smile: some piccies would be nice tho

phew you certainly made it pay that week :exclamation:
makes my meagre effort look a bit embarassing really :laughing:

Good diary and will be nice if you able to make some photos to add on

Coffeeholic:

Lol, you take excellent photographs Neil, what about you spending a week with this guy :wink:

Andydisco:
nice diary that :slight_smile: some piccies would be nice tho

i agree, a good read, although it does sound like hard work (■■■■ im becoming workshy!)

I did take a few pics but they were not very good or interesting and I have yet to work out how to add pics to a diary.