Snow

After 18 years living here yesterday was the first time I was actually shut down by snow. I was supposed to collect a load from a Sugar factory in North Philadelphia for Ben & Jerry’s in St Albans VT at 08.00 AM on Wednesday for delivery at 7.00 PM that day. I was informed that heavy snow was expected on Tuesday night. I went to a Wawa store just a mile away from the factory that has 24 hour services etc and 8 truck parking spots, I often park there, I like having a proper toilet and not a dam portable loo, I parked there at 1.30 PM Tuesday, I got some grub and also cooked stuff in the microwave in my truck cab so I wasn’t going to starve. After 10 hours in the sleeper I woke to my alarm and thought that as huge amounts of snow were coming I drove back to the factory just incase I got snowed in and got accused of not being on site to make the collection. I set my alarm for 7.00 AM and woke up to find not a sign of snow :open_mouth: I drove back to the Wawa for a poop and to get coffee, then again back to the plant to get the load, which wasn’t ready FFS, I eventually hooked to it at 10.30 AM and drove out with not a sign of snow. I called in to dispatch and was told to get as far as I could in the snow (which didn’t exist) before parking in safety. Heading north on the NJ turnpike I decided to get fuel at the brand new Pilot truckstop in Newark NJ, I was so impressed that I put the elog on a 30 minute break and got a shower, when I came out it was a full scale blizzard :astonished: :astonished: and according to the traffic news all major routes in NY state were closed to trucks, I took the chance to get across the NY state line and on to the NY thruway, risking getting a ticket for entering the highway, the snow was getting bad but I made Sloatsburgh service are (first area on the thruway after US 17 in NJ), I was lucky to find a spot and called in to say I had stopped, I was there for 13 hours and the ban was lifted at 30 minutes past midnight. I actually drove through 30 inches of snow for 1/4 mile to get to the highway and head north. That was the first time snow has stopped me but it was because the roads were closed, otherwise I wouls have carried on.
This photo was taken a 5.00pm, before it got too bad.

Why would you have carried on? Do you not think that it’s best to be off the road and away from all the idiots that continue to drive as if it’s a summer’s day?

What would happen if you got stuck? You could be stranded on the highway for a day or more and require towing, costing your company a fortune. Or even worse, what if you were involved in a collision? Emergency service personnel would have to come out and deal with it, potentially putting them in danger or taking them away from other more serious and unavoidable situations.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hero, do you wear your underpants outside your trouser. Well done for keeping it lit :smiley:

newmercman:
Why would you have carried on? Do you not think that it’s best to be off the road and away from all the idiots that continue to drive as if it’s a summer’s day?

What would happen if you got stuck? You could be stranded on the highway for a day or more and require towing, costing your company a fortune. Or even worse, what if you were involved in a collision? Emergency service personnel would have to come out and deal with it, potentially putting them in danger or taking them away from other more serious and unavoidable situations.

This is the attitude that is destroying this country and those who want to make a difference and require a challenge in life.

No it’s called being sensible, Pat is driving in New England, a heavily congested area, the risk of it all going pear shaped up there is extremely high, not because of Pat’s driving, but the driving standards of the rest of the road users in that area.

I live and work in Canada don’t forget, I have the pleasure of driving in awful conditions for 5months of the year and I do it with two 53’ trailers, yesterday I had snow covered roads, sheet ice with a 30mph side wind, then a snow storm and freezing fog to finish off, all within my 675 mile day.

So a little bit of snow doesn’t bother me, but in Pat’s situation I would’ve gone nowhere, not because of the weather, but because of the other idiots on the road.

I had to drive in rain yesterday, WITH the wipers on, I did consider calling in and saying it was dangerous and the conditions were not safe, but I battled thro, glad I did, because I didn’t want to miss dinner,… :smiley:

biggriffin:
I had to drive in rain yesterday, WITH the wipers on, I did consider calling in and saying it was dangerous and the conditions were not safe, but I battled thro, glad I did, because I didn’t want to miss dinner,… :smiley:

Wet Road Truckers.

Mark, as you know, the NY thruway is usually kept well clear during such storms, the highways were still open to cars and standing at the fence looking at the road I could see it was being kept clear, the truck ban was enforced before it got bad, it was only a couple of inches deep when I pulled into Sloatsburgh, I would have no intention of risking my own or anyone else’s life but the further north I could get, the less driving would be involved next day :wink:

Also, when loaded my truck is virtually glued to the road, I find that driving through the snow helps clear the stuff for others, I discovered that in the early 90’s driving over Shap on the M6 in 6 inches of snow and passing convoys of slow moving cars.