Snow Chains !

Hi , we have some Snow chains that are a nightmare to fit as they are so tight but when i took a look on youtube on how to fit chains there a few videos showing chains with camlocks that appear to be much easier.
It looks like there is quite a lot of slack in them and then you just tighten them up with the camlocks when they are in place .
Is that the case and if so , does anyone know of a decent make and possibly a UK supplier ?
Thanks in advance for any help .

Oh no here we go again! I can guess where this post will head.

Sorry just noticed your a new member. That post wasn’t aimed at your perfectly sensible question, it’s just there’s a certain member that’ll drag down a cul de sac any post even slightly related to traction. Good luck

I use to have “Weissenfells” snowchains on my truck. But there is more to it than the eye meet. Mosttimes is the technic to put them on, our snowchains had a chain to tighten them up.
If the size of chain is right they should fit, but the best way to learn is to take a spare wheel and put them a couple of times on and of in a dry enviroment, if you get a grip with the way to do it, any chain is not a problem to put on.
If I had to put them on in Austria, Swiss, or Italy and I still could move, I would put a big piece of would under the inside tyre, to lift the outside of the ground, that way I could put the tyre on without moving the truck.
But because I trained myself before the cold season, and al;so checked the chains at that moment for damage it didn’t take long to put them on.
Mosttimes when chains look to ttight you have them either inside out or not proper around the tyre.

Hi Luke, you mean 6x4, 4x4, V16 Detroits, lift axles, tag axles etc :grimacing: :grimacing:

Snow chains are normally quite slack to fit,**if they are the correct size!**before tensioning.
The best type are those tensioned by a chain circling the outside with a spring or elastic band to maintain tension.
When doing m/e I bought my snow chains in Germany,possibly Pewags,they were doubles,which are not the easiest to fit,but with the outside tensioner it made the job that much easier.

In this pic,I had been chained up for 3 days,in the mountains of Montenegro,with no adjustment needed,just regular checks on condition
Don’t know of any UK supplier,but I’m sure if you google Pewag,something will come up.

Just so Switchlogic doesn’t fret… :laughing:

If your boss buys a 6x6 fire engine and fits a 5th wheel, then makes sure he buys the steel stud tyres, then makes sure that the driver has his thermos full and his sandwiches, you won’t need chains… :wink: :laughing:

Chains should be moveable when they are fitted but before they are tightened. I would imagine that the chains you have are old and were for 20" wheels instead of 22.5". That was a common thing.

snowchains.co.uk/main/index_ … chains.htm

Wouldn’t bother with the doubles just singles on the outside drive.

i carry chains. but i’ve never fitted them.
it’s not that i’m so good that i don’t need them. i just havn’t got a clue how to fit them. :laughing:

Same here! :blush:

Swish are the best ones :laughing: draw them are go to bed :laughing: sorry coud,nt help it :laughing:

Konigs a good brand, none of them are good to fit stuck in the snow, ice ect and usually dark .
Cold, wet and dirty job and easier it there are no mudguards on,first make sure they are not twisted by spreading them out on the ground , then pick em up at the one end by the inner ring of chains,(the side without the tensioner)and throw them over the tyre make sure that the long end on the ground are not tangled, then drive slowly forward until the ends are about 18 inch through, and with luck you can connect the hooks into the rings making sure that the hooks are not twisted,if they do not reach, the inner ring is stuck under the tyre this,is where a block of wood comes in to reverse on to under the inner wheel, i have had also use the jack, (i have a tool that i bought in Austria for the job of pulling the joining chains together)then tension the chain and drive 200 metres and retension again but not to tight, as they have to move around the tyre as you drive, so the tyre is not damaged.

Klunk

Further to the comments about the wooden blocks under the inside wheel.One firm I worked for supplied us with some that had a chamfered edge,and nails that were partially hammered in,then bent over,or some 5mm angle iron screwed into the bottom so they would keep still when you were reversing onto them on hard packed snow.

keith_danby:
Hi , we have some Snow chains that are a nightmare to fit as they are so tight but when i took a look on youtube on how to fit chains there a few videos showing chains with camlocks that appear to be much easier.
It looks like there is quite a lot of slack in them and then you just tighten them up with the camlocks when they are in place .
Is that the case and if so , does anyone know of a decent make and possibly a UK supplier ?
Thanks in advance for any help .

try this site

snowchainshop.co.uk/products … l-vehicles

its my neighbours business.

have ye not thought about autosocks ?

good Price :blush:

limeyphil:
i carry chains. but i’ve never fitted them.
it’s not that i’m so good that i don’t need them. i just havn’t got a clue how to fit them. :laughing:

see fitting video here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65223