snow chains

I take it that these snow chain rules apply only to trucks and not to cars. As am going next February to Switzerland by car and don’t really want to buy winter tyres.

Snow chains apply to all vehicles, where the signs are displayed requiring you to have them.

Normally about €100 fine and they will make you buy some before sending you on your way.

TRY TALKING TO the RAC or AA they do HIRE out
SNOW CHAINS for cars .YOU WILL ALSO NEED
WINTER TYRES, as summer tyres is a BIG NO NO
and will cost you lots of money,
Plus do not forget the SWISS vingette for cars YOU
SHOULD ask the AA or RAC if they sell it at the docks,
if not you can get it before the border to the swiss as well,

Its not compulsory to use them , its compulsory to carry them .
If its snowing that bad, park up !!

:laughing: :laughing:

Suedehead:
Its not compulsory to use them , its compulsory to carry them .
If its snowing that bad, park up !!

As we say … if it is snowing that bad, use the ‘snow curtains’ lolol Park up and sleep

TheBear:
As we say … if it is snowing that bad, use the ‘snow curtains’ lolol Park up and sleep

the cleverarse stock answer from somebody who’s only done western europe - when you’ve a chance of freezing to death on a romanian mountainside you’ll get em out their bags and use em m’luv :bulb:

jj72:

TheBear:

the cleverarse stock answer from somebody who’s only done western europe - when you’ve a chance of freezing to death on a romanian mountainside you’ll get em out their bags and use em m’luv :bulb:

Why did you keep them “in bags”?
Why not slung over a hook on the back of the chassis?

Suedehead:

jj72:

TheBear:

Why did you keep them “in bags”?
Why not slung over a hook on the back of the chassis?

Because when they are in bags, they are dry, unfrozen and easier to fit, rather than having to thaw out your chains before they will fasten round the tyres. Snow chains on hooks are like spanish spears and blue lamps in windscreens. NFUAA :stuck_out_tongue:

Hung the chains on the back because it was compolsory to carry them. Learnt my lesson at the hut. Cant remember it being compolsory to carry the other associated tat you mention
:confused: Never felt the need myself
Mind you only did Western and Southern Europe and i went to Wales a few times

Sudehead the laws have changed with the times
and you now have to be equipped with certain
items when Winter weather sets in, and they
will fine youand if a accident happens and you
are the one who is not in possion of all the required
items you will GET done, and they will DEAL SERVERLY
with you,

Wheel Nut:
…Snow chains on hooks are like spanish spears and blue lamps in windscreens. NFUAA :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good one wheelnut, very true :laughing: :laughing:

Methinks it’s time for my 2p worth…:grimacing:

To those equipped with “snow curtains” (maybe of the tasselled variety :laughing: ) I’d ask a question…

How do you know when it’s time to draw said curtains?

:open_mouth: Careful though peeps, there might be some old TIR types waiting to have a laugh at your expense. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

BTW, a quick look at the O/P suggests that the original question relates to a car. :unamused:

@dieseldave, IT was mentioned that
RAC or AA do hire out snowchains
for members,

EVEN IN A CAR they will still need to have
Winter Tyres and carry snow chains, plus all the rest of
the equipement needed in winter driveing, the Swiss
will deal harschly with those who are not fitted out for
winter driveing, and it is cheaper to hire the snowchains
in GB than to buy them after you have been fined, or
ended up in court ,because you were not equiped
for the road conditions ,

HERE

And also read this
-Swiss traffic regulations are strictly enforced and any serious breach of the rules, particularly in the case of driving under the influence, can result in heavy fines, loss of license and/or imprisonment. For those intending to drive in Switzerland during Winter months, cars must have snow tyres. Snow chains may be necessary for driving in high Alpine areas.

this come from HERE

brit pete:
@dieseldave, IT was mentioned that
RAC or AA do hire out snowchains
for members,

EVEN IN A CAR they will still need to have
Winter Tyres and carry snow chains, plus all the rest of
the equipement needed in winter driveing, the Swiss
will deal harschly with those who are not fitted out for
winter driveing, and it is cheaper to hire the snowchains
in GB than to buy them after you have been fined, or
ended up in court ,because you were not equiped
for the road conditions ,

HERE

And also read this
-Swiss traffic regulations are strictly enforced and any serious breach of the rules, particularly in the case of driving under the influence, can result in heavy fines, loss of license and/or imprisonment. For those intending to drive in Switzerland during Winter months, cars must have snow tyres. Snow chains may be necessary for driving in high Alpine areas.

this come from HERE

Hi Pete, I’m not sure what you mean by this post■■?

Did I contradict anything you said in your post above? :confused:

If you want to hire some snowchains you can hire them from a ski equipment hire company, this is what we used to do, and then when you are over there if you want to buy your own get them from a french hypermarket they are a lot cheaper than England.

Snow curtain time is:
When I do not feel able to safely proceed down the road in question, simple eh?

Must admit i had a severe buttock clenching moment once.
Drove up to the Blanc, snowing a bit, would be classed as a “severe weather warning” over here nowadays :laughing:
Came out the Itie side and yes it was proper snow, parking area full so press on a bit :confused: Descend towards Cormayeur(spelling) and it was when i hit a dry bit of road,under one of those canopies to stop rockfalls,the revs suddenly increased and i realised i had been sledging for a mile or so :open_mouth: