Snow chains a good idea in Germany this week

snow chains is a good idea to bring with you into Germany at the moment weekending between Köln and Frankfurt by Siegen been snowing heavy since Friday last night snowed heavy and still is but some roads you need chains so says it on the radio so any guys heading for the boat today and down this hope you have them with you better be safe than sorry :wink:

Hi all.It might not be a bad idea in Scandinavia as well.The whole of Sweden is covered with snow,in some places up to 1mtr since Friday. :open_mouth: with temps down to -30c.Also be warned,in the southern half of Sweden they have a lot of problems with high winds causing drifting and pushing trucks off the road.Take care.Mike

Did i hear that Russia had a 200 mile traffic jam with drivers running out of food, the Beast from the East so the weather men keep saying is on the way to the UK soon.

But you will only get the ‘‘left over’’ 2 or 3 inches by the time it reaches the UK.Just enough to stop the whole country but not enough to build a snowman :frowning: Mike

I used to work on a dairy farm near Lansing in Michigan, loads of snow, everyone went further north to make a hole in the ice on the frozen lake and fish from a wooden hut with a log fire inside it.The milk tanker always made it in 6 feet snow drifts.

hutpik:
Hi all.It might not be a bad idea in Scandinavia as well.The whole of Sweden is covered with snow,in some places up to 1mtr since Friday. :open_mouth: with temps down to -30c.Also be warned,in the southern half of Sweden they have a lot of problems with high winds causing drifting and pushing trucks off the road.Take care.Mike

Just to clarify, I came down from Trondheim to catch a boat on the evening in Stockholm last Tuesday. From Sundsvall to Gävle I passed the class 1 warning. All I saw was a normal winter driving conditions like you guys have everyday in Kiruna. But the media once again drove it up in the sky.

But this time of year you got nothing to do with a 2 axle truck in Sweden and if you take the those crapy 3 axle pusher trucks you guys drive in Uk it has to be 100% right loaded.

Hi all.Icee,as you say it is blown up by the media but looking at the tv i was laughing at the problems which the weather has caused in the southern part :laughing: .I was out ploughing at the weekend and was again shocked at the foreign[eastern European]trucks which were still so badly equipped,even after all the information which has been available to them via various means. :open_mouth:
Just this evening a guy came banging on my door.It turns out he was Hungarian and had run out of disel about 3kms from my house.OK,i helped him out,but charged him for the diesel saying ‘‘what sort of idiot lets the truck run out of diesel in the winter at -22c’’. :blush: You know when you come up here that nothing is ‘‘just around the corner’’ like Europe…
Where do you live in Finland :question: Mike

out of interest, hows the weather in sweden and finland in february?
i’ll be heading that way, (with chains :grimacing: )

hutpik:
Hi all.Icee,as you say it is blown up by the media but looking at the tv i was laughing at the problems which the weather has caused in the southern part :laughing: .I was out ploughing at the weekend and was again shocked at the foreign[eastern European]trucks which were still so badly equipped,even after all the information which has been available to them via various means. :open_mouth:
Just this evening a guy came banging on my door.It turns out he was Hungarian and had run out of disel about 3kms from my house.OK,i helped him out,but charged him for the diesel saying ‘‘what sort of idiot lets the truck run out of diesel in the winter at -22c’’. :blush: You know when you come up here that nothing is ‘‘just around the corner’’ like Europe…
Where do you live in Finland :question: Mike

Vasa, took a free week now to do some Christmas shopping :slight_smile:
Yeah it’s really sick that they still today don’t get it. It’s like they don’t do any research where they are heading. When it’s under -20c I don’t even let the tank run under 1/4 just to keep it from freezing and don’t turn the truck of for more than a couple of hours.

The company I work has tried a new steer tire this year; Michelin XDW Ice Grip, normally used as a drive tires but from this year you can mount it on the steer axle as well. Even guys how have been driving 30 years on north Norway are impressed how amazing the grip is. It’s the first time I been able to put 19t on the drive and still keep full steering capacity. First time the back or trailer starts to slide before it stops steering.

To show the guys how it looks, bare in mind this is in April so the snow has almost melted. A big border crossing between Norway and Sweden
youtube.com/watch?v=IBzeNFFraJ4
Load? 48t++++ total weight Sadly just a 580, but 620s and maybe a 730 on it’s way

chilistrucker: WINTER!!!

Hi Chilistrucker.After xmas until April expect lots of snow and temps down to -40c.Maybe a bit less in the southern half of the countries BUT you can still get caught out.Even if it may be a bit more expensive,if you are running around in Sweden\Norway and Finland its better to be sure with ‘‘proper’’ winter diesel and make sure you have food and good clothes esp hat,gloves,boots.Its always usefull to have a few trailer rubbers if your fitting chains to get up hills,it helps keep a bit more tension so maybe you can just make the top before you adjust them.
Where are u going,just as a matter of interest[i might be able to offer you a coffeee,or a chance to borrow a snowscooter] :smiley: Mike

Hi Icee.You have to imagine those roads with a couple of inches of ice on them and 2mtrs of snow everywhere else. :open_mouth:
Just been watching the news and was surprised by the amount of Finns that go to Stockholm for xmas shopping.It seems very popular.
I’m alright as i live only 200kms west of Roveniami so i get some of the first presents as he flies over :laughing: Mike

hutpik:
Hi Icee.You have to imagine those roads with a couple of inches of ice on them and 2mtrs of snow everywhere else. :open_mouth:
Just been watching the news and was surprised by the amount of Finns that go to Stockholm for xmas shopping.It seems very popular.
I’m alright as i live only 200kms west of Roveniami so i get some of the first presents as he flies over :laughing: Mike

Sadly you come a bit immune against them when you drive the same road up 6times a week. Raw material from Straumen to TorneÃ¥ and Rahe. When I started to drive it the consumption was around 43l/100km. Now I have a record of 37,1l/100km. But you start to remember every ■■■■■■■ turn and when to let of In the Arvidsjaur roundabout so you don’t have to use the breaks. Think it was 1,3km on the navigator. When you reached the highest point at 761m over the sea in Sweden heading towards Finland you can coast for almost 40min except for a little touch on the throttle after 7½min… :smiley:

LoL, I can’t be bothered to go to Sweden just to save a couple of bucks…

Chilistrucker: Going with car or truck? Remember it’s a law to use winter tires in Sweden and Finland.
With truck in Sweden you have to have winter on the drive wheels after new year (new law) Finland I actually don’t know since every one uses winter tires on trucks here for there on safety but it should be a law on steer and drive

Icee and hutpik, thanks.
I’ll be coming over in an artic, prob via the tunnel/bridge from Denmark into Sweden.
Then I guess it will be up through Sweden to Stockholm to get the ferry over to Finland. Once there I’ll be going to Turku first for a couple of days and then Helsinki for a couple of days. Once Finland Is done we’ll be heading to Denmark!
Ok all noted re tyres, proper winter fuel, trailer rubbers, winter clothes etc :wink:
Any tips on screen wash? I guess the stuff you can buy in your service stations is upto the job of keeping the screen clear?

Hi Chilistrucker.OK have a good trip,nice little run around the southern half.Shame you ain’t up this way,you could have had a day in the forest on a snowscooter. :frowning:
Re washer fluid,just don’t dilute it so much if the temp is low.Take care.Mike

Cheers mike, it’s a shame that sounds a blast!
I have only been north of Stockholm once in the summer, my best mate now lives up there, about 2 hours north of Stockholm if I remember correctly?
Think it’s near hedamora, if I spelt that right?
He works in a mine near there.

Hi Chilistrucker.Mining is a big industry in Sweden.The further north,the more mines.I also work part time in a mine in Gällivare driving a 60t tipper 1km underground.But i’m 1200kms north of Stockholm.Up here the main industry is mining and all related areas.The only problem is a shortage of people and housing.Not many people want to move right up here as it’s considered by the Swedes to be ‘‘the far side of the moon’’.However if you want a more simple,stress free life,and can do without a hectic social life then it’s great.The outdoor activities are second to none,both summer and winter.IF i work full time,thats 7days work x11hrs then 7days free i take home about £2200.But as i only work about 1 week each month it’s about half of that but i have a relaxed life.
Take care.Mike