Snow and the average car driver

Don’t know about others but i am sick and tired of these muppet car drivers who are way too over cautious in the snowy conditions,had more than my fair share in the last two days,one yesterday on the A419 swindon,crawling along at around 35/40 mph,sleat was coming down but still ok for me to drive at 56mph,i had to slow right down as i couldn’t pull out,i eventually managed to overtake and leave her behind or so i thought,literally two min later she comes past me doing around 65mph and disappears into the distance,i know it was to do with the sleat as it cleared as we started coming down the hill at blunsdon,today coming home i had two car drivers within minutes in front of me crawling at 10 to 15 mph,if they feel they are not competent enough to drive at a reasonable speed in weather like now then in my opinion they should stay off the road

truckman020:
Don’t know about others but i am sick and tired of these muppet car drivers who are way too over cautious in the snowy conditions,had more than my fair share in the last two days,one yesterday on the A419 swindon,crawling along at around 35/40 mph,sleat was coming down but still ok for me to drive at 56mph,i had to slow right down as i couldn’t pull out,i eventually managed to overtake and leave her behind or so i thought,literally two min later she comes past me doing around 65mph and disappears into the distance,i know it was to do with the sleat as it cleared as we started coming down the hill at blunsdon,today coming home i had two car drivers within minutes in front of me crawling at 10 to 15 mph,if they feel they are not competent enough to drive at a reasonable speed in weather like now then in my opinion they should stay off the road

Might just be better to be a bit cautious and get there in one piece.
Not everyone’s in a hurry and not everyones experienced.

Trust me I’ve driven at all sorts of speeds through much worse 1980’s winters than this so called ‘Beast from the East’ all with decent old school rwd cars with equally decent old school tyre tread patterns.

But modern effectively slick tyres combined with fwd which can’t be steered when it loses traction is enough to make anyone look like a bleedin novice. :open_mouth: :imp:

On the second route I tried to get to work last night the person in the car ahead of the car in front of me just stopped in the road, put their hazards on and decided that was that. So I drove round them and continued on.

I would rather have a few cautious car drivers in front of me,
than the one idiot who thinks they are Colin McCrae hurtling past, and then crashing and blocking the road…
(by the way, I was down to 30mph over the M6 Shap last night in an empty artic,
I wasn’t comfortable going any faster…
and I had a car driver followed me quite happily until I turned off at J40…)

If everyone changed/could afford/bothered with winter tyres then you would see fewer slow cars and far less carnage. Most cars on normal tyres are appalling on snow and the traction gives out with little warning. Light area loading on the tyres. They’re right to take it easy.

truckman020:
still ok for me to drive at 56mph,

Yep im sure it is. Right up to the point where it all goes wrong.
Im sure many a muppet on the road thought the weather conditions were fine to charge on only to end up in a ditch or over a hedge.
If people being cautious in the current conditions bothers you then maybe its you who should stay at home.
In fact, given you dont seem to think taking the foot off the accelerator at all when driving in sleet is a sensible idea, maybe you should just stay off the road altogether

^^^^^^^^ Also, that “idiot” in the car probably couldn’t see half as well as the op. :unamused:

peterm:
^^^^^^^^ Also, that “idiot” in the car probably couldn’t see half as well as the op. :unamused:

^^^^^^^
Some truck drivers can be their own worst enemies at times … :unamused:

truckman020:
sleat was coming down but still ok for me to drive at 56mph,

Frightening to read that comment, a really blinkered view and completely lulled into a false sense of security. Little wonder we see so many accidents.

Must be great to be perfect, hope you didn’t pressure any elderly driver or less experienced driver of the road. What’s the world coming to

I wonder if the driver of the jacknifed artic on the westbound side of the M4, between Hungerford and Swindon, Followed a similar train of thought to you?

There have been a lot of lorry drivers pushing on full pelt. Mostly parcel / pallet trucks. What’s the hurry?

You might be fine to go forwards at 56, but can you get her to stop?

This is my first winter behind the wheel of a lorry, and I’ve been one of the more cautious ones out there. Though I haven’t got stuck, or damaged anything, so that’s a win in my book.

I haven’t technically failed a delivery yet either - my load from Scotland was accepted very late, I had a job taken off me and my next one turned into a drop trailer and park up to tip overnight. :laughing:

The worst thing about driving in snow so far has been the truck constantly screaming that all the fancy electronics, that are always turned off anyway, aren’t working.

A lot of cars now even basic ones like an Opel Astra have the option of ridiculous wheel size diameter/ width and coupled with the ‘rubber band’ profile needed to get them under the arches means (all as a fashion statement) theres very little traction on snow especially with weight spread on wide rubber and summer tread. Older cars with narrower tyres with a block tread will have far more traction. Some things have gone backwards<<<<

slowlane:
There have been a lot of lorry drivers pushing on full pelt. Mostly parcel / pallet trucks. What’s the hurry?

This is my first winter behind the wheel of a lorry, and I’ve been one of the more cautious ones out there. Though I haven’t got stuck, or damaged anything, so that’s a win in my book.

I haven’t technically failed a delivery yet either - my load from Scotland was accepted very late, I had a job taken off me and my next one turned into a drop trailer and park up to tip overnight. [emoji38]

The worst thing about driving in snow so far has been the truck constantly screaming that all the fancy electronics, that are always turned off anyway, aren’t working.

On your last point, I totally agree. Having bells, whistles, and flashing lights to tell me something I’ve turned off, is not working, is “unhelpful”.
Give it a bit longer, then it’ll restart working, then fail again with a repeat performance.
Warning lights used to mean something. They are usually mere distraction now.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Rick W:

truckman020:

Might just be better to be a bit cautious and get there in one piece.
Not everyone’s in a hurry and not everyones experienced.

When car drive just 20 miles per hour that he do more worst for self.Much more easy and safety if drive some 40mph.

Another big problem in England.Here by rulles at one axle can be different tyres by picture.This is no good in snow or ice.In some country tyres in one axle must by absolutely same what is much help.

TBF to the poster. The A41 from the M25 to Aylesbury was clear dual carriageway yesterday morning. Not one car was doing more than 40mph because there were light flurries of snow in the air. I passed every single one in lane 2 which was clear and dry. I don’t get it either! Doesn’t make me a bad wannabe rally driver because I have confidence to use two lanes.

slowlane:

I haven’t technically failed a delivery yet either - my load from Scotland was accepted very late, I had a job taken off me and my next one turned into a drop trailer and park up to tip overnight. :laughing:

Fairy alert :laughing:

Nah just kidding. I’ve no issue with anyone going at their own speed. Sometimes I :unamused: my eyes when it’s needless but I don’t get annoyed by it or pressure anyone into going at my speed. Quicker to go half speed for a bit rather than get caught behind a person niling it and losing it…

The-Snowman:

truckman020:
still ok for me to drive at 56mph,

Yep im sure it is. Right up to the point where it all goes wrong.
Im sure many a muppet on the road thought the weather conditions were fine to charge on only to end up in a ditch or over a hedge.
If people being cautious in twhe current conditions bothers you then maybe its you who should stay at home.
In fact, given you dont seem to think taking the foot off the accelerator at all when driving in sleet is a sensible idea, maybe you should just stay off the road altogether

Perfectly safe at 56 as the sleet wasn’t settling,it was like a rainy day,nothing on the roads,i think after 38 yrs driving all types i’m experienced enough to know when it’s safe to do 56,i wouldn’t do it otherwise,your entitled to your opinion snowman as we all are on here,even though it’s the wrong opinion.