Snooper SC5800

Hi, I have a Snooper SC5800, which I find very useful for its built in dashcam and its built in TMC box (overtime creation device) on the power cord.

I’ve had it for about six months now and generally happy but for one thing.

The power plugs keep blowing!!!

Cobra electronics have replaced it three times now. when they go they feel very hot, yet the fuse remains intact, they can last for months but the last one got thru in a week.

I’m driving new Daf’s and Scania’s for Morrisons, no other drivers have complained of electronics problems “yet”

I phoned cobra this morning to get another replacement and an address to send the last two too and they initially refused to replace it. had to point out that i’m a trucker and if they are preventing me from using it, then they can give me my money back…that worked!!

Just wondering if any other drivers have been experiencing similar problems with this unit or similar problems with power cords on either new scania’s or daf’s

cheers

Jim

Is the power cord kept in a loop or loose? I know with my laptop if the cords are looped rather than stretched out
the transformer for it can get really hot. Just wondered if it could be a similar thing.

That’s a good question

However the power cord is normally stretched out

Is the charger unit actually rated for use on a 24V system?

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Yes it is but I’m using the 12v plugs anyway as I don’t have the smaller plug

jcfd55:
Yes it is but I’m using the 12v plugs anyway as I don’t have the smaller plug

Are you sure you’re connecting to 12V? In my (limited) experience the ■■■ lighter sockets on trucks are generally 24V, with 12V and 24V being available using a Hella connector (i.e. “the smaller plug”). Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your response.

Even if the adaptor is rated for 24V, it will still have to dissipate more heat if used at the higher voltage which could well lead to premature failure (especially with cheap Chinese electronic components).

Yes absolutely sure I’m using 12v. Like I say " I don’t have a hella"

The 24v plugs on dafs and scannys are the little ones

Pretty sure the ■■■ lighter socket on my old CF was 24V - If I wanted 12V I had to use the Hella socket low down under the dash. The MAN I currently use has both 12V and 24V Hella sockets but I think the ■■■ lighter is still 24V.

Bear in mind that the 24V batteries will actually have around 29V across them when the engine is running and the alternator is charging. If the adaptor is getting hot and failing, one likely explanation is over-voltage.

Nope sockets 12 and 24 are very clearly marked.

Tho I did wonder about overvoltage from the truck as scanias are crap like that. But I had it go on a daf too,all Other equipment works ok including my older s7000 gps

The problem seems to be with the GPs plug or gps

Old plugs have been returned yesterday

That’s why I was asking if anyone else with an sc5800 had experienced any probs

Looks like I’m in a unique position tho