Snooper S8000 and DB8500

Can anyone tell me, apart from the difference in price, the difference between the two above Sat-nav models? Has anyone use ether or both?
I’m looking at (apart from the obvious) the free view. Is one better than the other?
I will always have my maps but if the TV is good then I can kill two birds with one stone as they say.
Cheers for any advise.

Below are the two I’m looking at

ebay.co.uk/itm/251648480242? … EBIDX%3AIT

ebay.co.uk/itm/251618297202? … EBIDX%3AIT

i have the db8500 , good for digital radio and the tv , as for the maps and stuff…well the only thing good about it is it will keep you away from low bridges but as for routing you around 7.5 t weight limits and other roads its a ■■■■■■ joke , it will try and get you to turn in a dead end housing estate road with a 3.5 ton weight limit , it will divert you into more trouble the minute you get diverted off any motorway or main A road , tried to get me to go round the back of a cottage on a b road to turn around…lol , i have never trusted sat navs and always cross refrence with maps , i paid a tidy some of money for this and i am very very dissapointed with it , if it gets a problem and not load up maps, which mine has done 3 or 4 times now the guys at snooper are very helpfull .

I also have a db8500 prosound , and have to agree that the navteq mapping is far from sorted. However, you do develop a kind of sixth sense as to when it’s gonna drop you into a world of pain. The reality is that these things are only a guide and you really do need to exercise your own judgement at all times (as I’m sure you’re very well aware.)
The feature that most redeems these shortcomings is the ability to Bluetooth everything (nav commentary, phone, mp3 tunes, DAB, telly) through the cab stereo,
but as said, they are rather pricey. The sorry truth is that no-one has yet come up with a proper trucknav - if indeed they ever will. :neutral_face:

Oh dear :frowning: thanks guys. I was hoping for better considering the price but I guess that’s not the case.
May just stick to my maps and buy a 24v DVD/TV with free view for my viewing needs. It will be cheeper but I was really hoping the sat nav would have been better.

I`ve got the s7000 and can only agree with the other posters. The routing could be better , if you don’t follow the route it wants, it throws a hissy fit and tries to turn you in the stupidest of places. The tv is pretty handy though

I’ve just got 8000 and been tryingnitbfor first night ( set up for truck but in car ) and its spot on round my town ,bridges and weight limits ,when you think I bet it turns here ,weight limit ,it doesn’t ,very impressed ,bridges again spot on and plenty to trip you up round grantham .
Not cheap but massive improvement over t/t 6000 I sent back ,big test thiscweek cental London ( but taking maps as backup :wink: :laughing: )

dozy:
big test thiscweek cental London ( but taking maps as backup :wink: :laughing: )

How did it perform in London Dozy? Be interested to know.

I have a Snooper S8000 and whilst I can’t complain about the actual unit itself, the mapping system leaves a lot to be desired - its absolute rubbish and definitely not worth the price tag

I’ve got the DB8500 and not had any issues driving an 18t rigid around with it.

Telly’s pretty good and so is the bluetooth for the 'phone. It’s internal battery is a bit under powered though and will need to be plugged in after about half an hour.

Dave

When I was on rigids I used a Navman Tourer and paid (£60 I think) to have truck mode enabled. Was absolutely fine, but got myself the Snooper 8500 when I started on artics as I didn’t want to take any chances (Navman also charge for map upgrades)

I stumped out the cash for the DB8500 earlier this week and it was delivered yesterday - tried it out in the car today and I was not impressed at all with it. I paid the extra for the the speeding camera locations and it failed to warn me I was nearing them about 60% of the time, I deliberately drove past where it was telling me to go and it wanted to take me up some stupidly little side streets to double back… … … … … I am going to test it out this week, make sure that I am using it correctly but if it doesn’t perform any better I will be sending it back for a refund.

The cheap as chips ‘TruckNav’ that I have been using was OK but didn’t allow the use of full postcodes, it was also set at the old truck speed limits so was constantly telling me ‘You are overspeed’ and it had some strange ideas about the best routes on the odd occasion, it did however tell me when I was approaching a speed camera and when there was traffic light cameras and I was starting to get used to it’s quirks.

I am grateful for the replies gents. I was hoping for some better reviews though especially when you take into account the price of these units.
Hopefully Micky will update with his findings this week. If there is no other positives regarding these then I may just buy a Tv/DVD with free view (bigger screen and all that) and look at a cheaper truck sat-nav. It should all work out about the same price. The Snooper would have been nice though as it’s all in one.

Casper68:
…Hopefully Micky will update with his findings this week.

It didn’t perform very well at all today, so badly in fact that I have decided not to test it for the full week as planned and it is now back in it’s original box ready to be posted back to Snooper.

How bad - I set it to go from Boughton Nottinghamshire to Shirebrook Derbyshire, which should of been a distance of 11.3 miles (the direct 11.3 mile route has no weight restrictions or low bridges to take into account) instead it took me a route that went via Worksop and a total of 21.5 miles. :confused: :open_mouth:

For the sake of testing purposes I didn’t mind the extra miles today but I don’t want to be risking taking a random scenic tour every time I use a Sat Nav.

I would like another Sat Nav so I can have one as a back up should the other fail - I think I might try to pick up a cheap used Garmin, they seem to have the better reviews, the Tom Tom’s don’t fair very well in the reviews that I have read.

MickyB666:

Casper68:
…Hopefully Micky will update with his findings this week.

It didn’t perform very well at all today, so badly in fact that I have decided not to test it for the full week as planned and it is now back in it’s original box ready to be posted back to Snooper.

How bad - I set it to go from Boughton Nottinghamshire to Shirebrook Derbyshire, which should of been a distance of 11.3 miles (the direct 11.3 mile route has no weight restrictions or low bridges to take into account) instead it took me a route that went via Worksop and a total of 21.5 miles. :confused: :open_mouth:

For the sake of testing purposes I didn’t mind the extra miles today but I don’t want to be risking taking a random scenic tour every time I use a Sat Nav.

I would like another Sat Nav so I can have one as a back up should the other fail - I think I might try to pick up a cheap used Garmin, they seem to have the better reviews, the Tom Tom’s don’t fair very well in the reviews that I have read.

They can be stroppy. Mine will send me over the Dartford Bridge, but always tries to avoid the tunnel on the way back. If I ignore it, it knocks something like 45 mins off my ETA.

Tries to keep me out of the Wallasey tunnel too (and I have all the ADR stuff turned off)

As a back up I just use maps on my iPhone. Carry enough gear without a starting with spares.

My biggest annoyance is that you can only program in 150 favourites, which I could easily treble or quadruple. Some of these cack holes I might not do again for a few years, so I’m buggered if I can remember exactly where they are (handy when the back door isn’t even in the same postcode as the mailing address)

Loads of drops I now know like the back of my hand, but always use the satnav for when crap like motorway closures happen. And always good to have a rough idea of what time you’ll be there in case you need to bang in a break or not on the way, or have to anticipate a late arrival.

Well that’s enough info for me to look elsewhere. Thanks for the update chaps.
Will have a look at the Garmin.

Off topic folks, but a quick question. My snooper has gone seriously mega slow over the last couple of weeks, it’s fine when it’s navigating, but going through the menus, putting address in etc, it keeps freezing up.

Is there a quick reboot I can do without losing all my saved stuff in it, to give it a bit of a kick up the arse?

PaulNowak:
Off topic folks, but a quick question. My snooper has gone seriously mega slow over the last couple of weeks, it’s fine when it’s navigating, but going through the menus, putting address in etc, it keeps freezing up.

Is there a quick reboot I can do without losing all my saved stuff in it, to give it a bit of a kick up the arse?

What about switching it off & taking the SD card out, then putting it back in ?
Don’t know if it’ll work, but it sounds like I’m being ‘Teknikal’ & ‘Kleva’ [emoji335][emoji375][emoji378]

Tried that. Sorry. Totally frozen now

PaulNowak:
Tried that. Sorry. Totally frozen now

Sorry Paul, can’t suggest anything else apart from the Hammer Remedy, try contacting Snooper or Performance Products- Ltd-In Phase International : Contact Us

I found them helpful when I first brought mine (3 years ago) the TV wouldn’t work properly, if I remember rightly they did something to the software & it sorted it.

Popped into a Fonebitz on the services today, and the guy tried to do an update from his pc, but it kept failing, he seems to think the last update I tried (which said I didn’t need one) appears to have corrupted to SD card. Emailed Snooper, but they don’t work weekends (unlike me)

I’m back at base in the morning, so I’ll get my old Navman out of the car and use that for a couple of days, until the other one is sorted.

Cheers for your help though.