snooper s2700

anyone use this ? currently have a tom tom 2150 , its been great until recently when ( not long after the guarantee expired ) it decided to play silly bees . keeps alternating between charging battery and shutting down ■■? I have a Chinese cheapy which to be honest has never failed to get me where I’m going albeit in a (very) roundabout way at times that I have fallen back on . any way I don’t have ,nor do I wish to cart around a box of town maps so I am considering one of these . does anyone use one and what is your opinion of it ? good /bad/ brilliant / crap ■■? :question: thanks

My firm bought one £265 Europe one. Software keeps crashing saying low on memory? Think they are trying to cram too much into a cheapish small unit, and mount not compatible with truck windscreen! I’ve had a Snooper s2000 Europe was well built with metal back and mount slot built into unit but not poi on route. Now have Snooper s5000 Europe (£150 second hand from eBay) with poi on route but not as well built as s2000. Traffic works well on both. And unlike Garmin truck sat nav (colleague has one) Snooper has multi route which is handy as I put 15+ drops all over Europe in it and gives good estimate as to each and final drop on front screen. Also Snooper reroutes in seconds if you screw up Garmin takes minutes. Does Tom Tom do multi drop? s2700 cheap and poor quality. Get second hand s5000.

Have look at the reviews from amazon…but all I can say is there’s not many decent reviews on HGV sat nav’s so its really down to recommendation and personal choice…

amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002JVBAA2

s2000 is good, s5000 is good, but s2700 is not good they made it cheap and it shows. It’s like a cheap new small car… basic, better of with more expensive model second hand will last longer in the long run. The Amazon reviews are for s7000 with built in TV.

As for Snooper map detail I’ve used it side by side with Garmin and in France you can see dust track roads to the wind generators on Snooper but are blank on Garmin and woods ect are not shown on Garmin. Only used old TOM Tom with low map detail so don’t know about new ones. But have free Sygic sat nav on phone that uses Tom Tom 3d maps/buildings and that’s nice.

syramax:
keeps alternating between charging battery and shutting down ■■?

Assuming you mean the TomTom 5150 (no such thing as a 2150 AFAIK) you can easily stop it automatically shutting down when Power is lost in the Settings screens. Problem is, if you continue to use it with intermittent power it will kill the Li-Ion battery in very short order. As for why it is losing power - pound to a pinch of snuff it’s wear in the micro-USB connector where it plugs into the back of the dock. If you’re lucky it just needs a new lead, but if the socket in the dock itself is worn you might need a new dock.

Roymondo:

syramax:
keeps alternating between charging battery and shutting down ■■?

Assuming you mean the TomTom 5150 (no such thing as a 2150 AFAIK) you can easily stop it automatically shutting down when Power is lost in the Settings screens. Problem is, if you continue to use it with intermittent power it will kill the Li-Ion battery in very short order. As for why it is losing power - pound to a pinch of snuff it’s wear in the micro-USB connector where it plugs into the back of the dock. If you’re lucky it just needs a new lead, but if the socket in the dock itself is worn you might need a new dock.
[/quote

sorry , my mistype 5150 it is :confused: I have just changed jobs , its spent the last 6-7 months stuck in the same windscreen with the lead connected and plugged in (no power when ignition off) so it
shouldnt be suffering from wear ■■ however I will buy a new lead (gotta be a bit cheaper than a new sat nav ) and give it a go . thanks to all who contributed :smiley:

With the thing plugged in and powered up, try wiggling the connector a tiny bit and see if that causes it to lose power. Also check the ■■■ lighter plug in the same way (even easier to see if this is where the problem lies as the OE TomTom one has a power LED). Have a look at the multi-pin connection between dock and satnav too - give it a clean with a small stiff brush.

Roymondo:
With the thing plugged in and powered up, try wiggling the connector a tiny bit and see if that causes it to lose power. Also check the ■■■ lighter plug in the same way (even easier to see if this is where the problem lies as the OE TomTom one has a power LED). Have a look at the multi-pin connection between dock and satnav too - give it a clean with a small stiff brush.

cleaned all contacts with contact cleaner and binned the lead for a fresh one (not new ,but known to be ok ) and jobs a guddun :smiley: many thanks raymondo , I owe you a beer :wink:

syramax:
cleaned all contacts with contact cleaner and binned the lead for a fresh one (not new ,but known to be ok ) and jobs a guddun :smiley: many thanks raymondo , I owe you a beer :wink:

Excellent News! Problem with those micro-USB connectors is they are simply not designed or intended to be repeatedly plugged/unplugged.