Sneaky Dutch cameras

Living in Holland, we have an 80kph speed limit over here for trucks (90kph in Belgium), though most seem to ignore it and do 90kph if their limiter allows them to, so I’ve been doing the same. However, after getting my third speeding ticket of the summer left in my in tray, I have to finally admit defeat and will keep to the 80 limit from now on (84kph allowed with callibration differences).

The thing is, the Dutch are sneaky with their cameras and move them around in unmarked vans, or hide them behind gantries, or switch them on and off at will so you never know where you’re going to get nabbed. And they’re not obliged to put up any signs warning of cameras.

And now one driver has warned me about the wheelie bin cameras. Apparently, the police have installed cameras in wheelie bins to catch speeding in residential areas, and they put the camera out on the correct day when the bins should be left out for the dustmen.

Ahh well, if I stick to 84kph, at least I’ve got another 6kph in hand for overtakes.

While I’m on here, there is a Belgian driver that I run into most shifts who I reckon is the spitting image of Jim Royale from the Royale family. I’ve taught him to say “My arse” and " I’m going for a Tom ■■■" and “Put the kettle on Lurcio” though it doesn’t quite come out the same with his heavy French accent.

He’s definitely one of the ‘old school’ drivers. His company uniform is an old tee shirt, baggy shorts, and army boots, plus he always has a cigar in his mouth Clint Eastwood style. None of this no smoking in a company vehicle stuff for him. He could be the Belgian cousin of Toby1234abc as he wistfully tells me about his Saviem that he used to drive in the early days, various Routiers that he used to visit, and how he enjoyed the hospitality of various Mayors and their daughters over the years.

Belgian Jim Royale runs up from Ostende, and then continues into Holland after I’ve seen him at the rdc in Mechelen. I don’t know if his Renault is limited or not, but if I’m doing 90kph on the Belgian motorway, he’ll pass me like I’m standing still, puffing furiously on his cigar while he does so !

Perhaps mods could turn Jim the right way up when possible. Thanks.

IMG_4652.JPG

+1 for sneaky Dutch cameras and low tolerance…

Paul

According to the Daily Star they are looking at having these wheelie bin cameras in the UK…along with OldBill now sitting in a double decker bus with cameras…

That is Jim Royle,brilliant.

IMG_1161.JPG

My favourite one liner is from Only fools and horses, when Granddad says “During the war .”
Rodney and Del roll their eyes and say not again.
Thanks for finding my cousin, bring back the Pegaso Troner, Daf 2800, 3300, the Iveco Turbostar, and the best motor ever made, the Scania 142 , no speed limiter back then.

sonflowerinwales:

Paul

Stupid.

sonflowerinwales:

Paul

Stupid.

biggriffin:

sonflowerinwales:

Paul

Stupid.

Why’s that then?

Mite be old news I don’t know , but heard on the wireless this week about the sharing of vehicle details across Europe.

Hope the binmen dump that camera in the garbage.

Punchy Dan:
Mite be old news I don’t know , but heard on the wireless this week about the sharing of vehicle details across Europe.

good job we are leaving the cucked EU though it may take the removal of the current establishment stooge first, or even a change of political party to achieve this, 17.4 million people voted to leave the EU last June, and there’s probably a lot more since who now also want us out of the dictatorship EU

Punchy Dan:

Since May I think. (the month!)