Smoking ban in UK

Can someone advise me if I can smoke in the cab when I am in the UK please.

I work for a Spanish firm and drive a Spanish plated truck, some trips are to the UK (unfortunately!!).

Nope. As its classed as a workplace. So from July 1st its not allowed.

Hmmmm… This should be interesting!!

Who actually enforces this law?

It certainly looks like I am about to become a criminal!!

Hombre:
Hmmmm… This should be interesting!!

Who actually enforces this law?

It certainly looks like I am about to become a criminal!!

If I was you, just carry on smoking and when you get stopped, use the old ‘non comprende’ excuse

i tried to call the jezzer vine show on friday when the so called no smoking expert was in to ask this very same question.
i heard the rock tour guy asking about the old rockers who smoke on the coach taking them between gigs and have been doing so for 20 years, i found it interesting that the expert said that whilst they were in the uk they were covered by the ban but once they leave the uk they are not unless the country they are travelling through has the same ban.
so i got to wondering if a foriegn vehicle visiting this country was then covered by the ban whilst here and would they have to have the warning stickers in the cabs too.
i don’t know the answer but i think i will try to find out.

As drivers, are we not diplomats for our companies - Hmmm…DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY :question: :wink: :wink:

To be quite honest its my cab (well the bosses) and as far as I am concerened they can stuff their anti smoking law - Im smoking whether they like it or not - just let em try and get the fine out of me!!

I understand that the Police and VOSA have washed their hands of enforcing this. I expect that if they stop you for some other reason and you’re smoking, they’ll report you for smoking as well as whatever it was they stopped you for.

That means it’ll be local council anti-smoking officers who’ll be enforcing the ban. The only thing they can do is take photos as evidence. They aren’t authorised to stop you as you drive down the road so can’t collect any physical evidence. Obviously I don’t smoke in my cab whilst in Scotland, that’ll be the whole of the UK now, I chew on a small white pen from a bookies until I can park up for a smoke. I imagine all the other smokers do this too, or something similar. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Local concil “Anti Smoking Officers” - you have got to be joking!! Surely??

I was talking to my mum on the phone today, who lives near Worcester, her rates have gone up 18% but they have yet again cut services and budgets etc…

No wonder if they have had to recruit new busybodies.

I am actually really looking forward now to my next UK trip and my first meeting with the smoking police.

From my point of view I’m more concerned about the firm I work for enforcing this than the police or any other agency.