Smokeing in trucks

Well, the good news is that the nose becomes used to the smell within a minute or two, and your brain then normally ignores the smell.

I personally don’t much care for the smell of DERV but I wouldn’t feel it important enough to do anything about.

As a last resort, you could always consider putting your own truck on the road?

Harry Monk:
Well, the good news is that the nose becomes used to the smell within a minute or two, and your brain then normally ignores the smell.

I personally don’t much care for the smell of DERV but I wouldn’t feel it important enough to do anything about.

As a last resort, you could always consider putting your own truck on the road?

ran me own truck been and done it would not do it again not worth it

i feel sorry for the trade plater who smokes whilst driving. hes delivered 459 trucks since he started his job but they are all parked up because everyone refuses to drive them. :laughing:
a certain chap i know hates the smell of smoke but will happily drive his truck into a shed full of bonemeal with his windows down. now thats a smell that gets everywhere but a) you got used to it b) you just get on with it.

last thing on my mind if i was on holiday would be to find out if anyone had been smoking in a company lorry i drove when i was in work. :confused:

No smell can last forever, I’d suggest leaving the windows open at every opportiunity for a few weeks and the smell should go. You could probably also mask the smell with air freshener, although to my mind most of them smell worse than stale smoke.

shuttlespanker:

scotstrucker:

shuttlespanker:

andy best:
am i in my rights to refuse to drive a truck were somebody has been smokeing in it . got a08 truck had it fron new never smoked in it been on hols for a week back tommorrow herd certain casuel drivers agency had truck and been smokeing in it

how about you refuse to drive the truck, then come back on here and tell us what your boss has said :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

i know what shuttle would say if i refused to drive his truck :laughing: :laughing:

i don’t even know you, do i? :confused:

but if you mean what i think you mean, you would be right :wink:

although, i would have a go at the agency driver for smoking in the truck in the first place, i am a firm believer that if the regular driver does not smoke, then who ever else drives the truck on a casual basis does not smoke in that vehicle either.

a fwe years ago, i had a driver whose truck had to go in for repair, i had just purchased another unit, so i moved into the new unit and the driver moved into my vacated unit, the plan was, when we got the other one back, a new driver was going to be starting in my old one.

well, the existing driver smoked and the new driver smoked, but i would not let them smoke in each others cab :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if i was givin a guys truck who didnt smoke for a week or two (which i have been in the past) i always try and not smoke but i will buy a couple of airfreshners and put em in the cab but i wont need too do that now as i stopped smokin 3 wk ago

deleted as was repeat

I just mentioned at the end of a shift that somebody had been smoking in the truck I had been using. The transport guy doing the de-brief said I should have reported it at the start of my shift, because now I could be accused of doing it - would have been an interesting excercise as I haven’t smoked for nearly 35 years! :laughing:

I have to say that I don’t like the smell of stale smoke, but as said above within a couple of mins you get immune to it. I find the law an ■■■ about it. In fact I find any law that can’t be enforced more than a bit annoying.

away in me truck 2 weeks at a time class it as me home in it more times than in my house but wouldnt let a stranger in me house and smoke and leave ■■■ ash onthe floor would u

andy best:
away in me truck 2 weeks at a time class it as me home in it more times than in my house but wouldnt let a stranger in me house and smoke and leave ■■■ ash onthe floor would u

Well, yes, but there is a fundamental difference in that you own your house whereas you don’t own the truck you drive.

To be perfectly honest, although I do fully understand your point, I can’t help feeling that you are being a little “precious”. How long does it take to flick some ■■■ ash out of the door?

Harry Monk:

andy best:

Well, yes, but there is a fundamental difference in that you own your house whereas you don’t own the truck you drive.

To be perfectly honest, although I do fully understand your point, I can’t help feeling that you are being a little “precious”. How long does it take to flick some ■■■ ash out of the door?

Just as quickly as handing a driver a P45, Harry!

Ooh. I am not touching those ropes because that nasty driver has had a cigarette in his hand. ffs, almost every new truck will have been driven by a tradeplater who ■■■■■■ on the seat, chucked his bag on the bunk after putting it down on a dog turd while he was waiting for a lift, he probably smoked in it too.

If all these winging buggers would stay out of the local pubs then the smokers could carry on as they were, oh and just to make it clear I am a non smoker now.

If you can smell someones fagash after a week, you might get a job in Scotland Yard as a sniffer dog

Wheel Nut:
If you can smell someones fagash after a week, you might get a job in Scotland Yard as a sniffer dog

We have a HATO man among us who swears he can tell if the driver of the truck he is following is smoking, even at 56mph, even observing a safe distance and even with all his windows closed and I gave him similar careers advice, except that I suggested he tried Dover.

The best advice I could give would be that if you don’t like bad smells, don’t drive a truck. Don’t visit farms or factories, keep away from diesel and oil, go push a pen in an office somewhere. Much more your cup of (tea-smelling) tea!

Wheel Nut:
If all these winging buggers would stay out of the local pubs then the smokers could carry on as they were, oh and just to make it clear I am a non smoker now.

Most of our local pubs have closed down now. The only people who ever went there were people who smoked, and now they can’t smoke because of legislation pressurised by people who do not visit pubs from one year to the next, so they stay indoors instead, where they can smoke.

Quite why a publican cannot be free to declare his home and business a smoking premises is beyond me. Non smokers can always decline to open the door. The whole thing is an attack on the working class by the most right-wing government we have ever had. Thank God they’ve only got six months left.

Non smokers aren’t the problem, it’s the “no smokers” who are, the puritans. If only it was easy to legislate against control-freakery…

as a failed quitter,current smoker,trying to give up again,i personally wouldnt smoke in someone elses truck.yes im a smoker but i do also know the meaning of respecting someone elses (truck).if and when i become a non smoker,i wouldnt be happy if another driver had smoked in my cab,but i wouldnt refuse to drive it,but i would have a go at the driver.
so,i think the agency driver was in the wrong in the first place,but it wouldnt stop me from driving the truck.

andy best:
am i in my rights to refuse to drive a truck were somebody has been smokeing in it . got a08 truck had it fron new never smoked in it been on hols for a week back tommorrow herd certain casuel drivers agency had truck and been smokeing in it

I’m 100% certain that you would not be within your rights to refuse to drive a truck because you heard someone was smoking in it.
Must be a rivetting conversation you and the lads have …"someone was smoking in your cab when you where off " , thats it then i 'm not going out in it !!! Actually, you should of asked the guy giving you the info why he never reported it if it concerned him that much he had to tell you before your return to work !!

play a couple of tunes on the old ‘bum trumpet’! you’ll soon wish your cab smelt of ■■■■ :grimacing:

Well said harry monk the voice of reason,i have worked with blokes like that,they don,t actually own the truck do they,if they did that would be different but for christs sake just crack on and do your work thats all it is work ,not real life :smiley:

Personally I’d sooner smell smoke than stale ■■■■■ and BO, but in any case just roll down the window and crack on. There’d be ■■■■ all loaded in our yard if I refused to drive something that smelled.

Harry Monk:
If only it was easy to legislate against control-freakery…

Easy, just close down all the University’s and send them all to Comprehensives where common sense is taught …