Smoke from scania night heater

I’m parked on a job just now, got the engine off so put the night heater on and thought I’ll get a wee 10 mins shut eye while I wait.
Young lads came up banging my door asking if I was aware of the smoke at the back of my cab!!
The smoke is white and has a smell like an old Diesel engine firing up on a cold morning (best example I could think of) and it doesn’t sound any different.
Just wondering if this is something that can be fixed while I wait or whether it needs to be taken into a workshop etc

Just normal. Had many a night heater blow white smoke when you fire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
Just normal. Had many a night heater blow white smoke when you fire it up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

correct answer. :grimacing:

No worries I was a bit concerned but I’ll try running it see if it clears

Totally normal. Should clear after about 30 seconds or so and then you’ll have heat coming through until it reaches the cab temperature you’ve set on the hand control by the bunk. You’ll see a little smoke each time it starts back up.

If the smoke lasts more than a minute and you get no heat you have a problem. You’ll also get beeped at by the handset by the bunk and told there is an error.

As been said it’s normal. A night heater is basically a burner so ■■■ all types of burners you’ll get smoke ,

This much?

youtube.com/watch?v=UAVKSGph6DA

yourhavingalarf:
This much?

youtube.com/watch?v=UAVKSGph6DA

Must be burning a bit of fluff off :grimacing:

Mine smokes when it first fires up, and usually get the bleep and error and shuts it off in the morning because the batteries are flat, nothing to worry about, unless you have only got 2 batteries on your truck then you might have trouble starting the engine.

There’s a ceramic glow plug that ignites the heater, if these aren’t renewed as and when they should be, you’ll end up with a heater error & no heat. Similar to a diesel car firing up with duff glow plugs. Some of ours pump out plumes of smoke when switching on…it’s not really ‘normal’ though!

Scanias are notonorise for smoking a lot when warming up.

Or this much
youtube.com/watch?v=rCBrTHE6nKg

Just been charged £110 for mine to be serviced…still smokes like a trooper. Not really a problem normally, but was parked in a warehouse a few weeks ago, and it set the bloody alarms off.

Our FH’s do it bit of a bugger when your hooking up on a cold morning,trying to put air and electric in with fumes everywhere,but as its set to 29c well toasty when your back in the cab lol.

Problems start just after summer when people don’t use em.