Smithfield Market

Hi all,

Has anyone on ere ever delivered goods to Smithfield Market in London cos iv’e been told that if i take the job with N R Evans they deliver there :confused: :confused: …Is there a distribution centre for the market or do you deliver straight to the market??

Cheers …SCAN

Straight into the market, Scan!! Its just off Farringdon Road in the City!! But the bars and cafes are open all night :o)))

and you can park up there during the day :o)))

I’ve been there once or twice…

It’s one of the maddest places i’ve been at 2-3am in the morning… There’s such a ‘buzz’… altho most of that ‘buzz’ is adrenalin, used to keep an eye out for the hundreds of unruley forklift drivers, who bomb about like their RS is on fire…

Have fun…

Luv
Chrisie…

Ditto what Ragtop said. A bit like the Thunder Dome in Mad Max only with more blood :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Fairly easy to find but oh so easy to get wrong. If you find youself backing up to the front door of St Pauls Cathedral you’ve overshot!

Evans should have a designated route for you to go in and out so you don’t fall foul of the Lorry Ban.

Just been reading one of Rob K’s old posts about delivering in London city centre and it’s put me off taking the job completely :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :cry: :cry:

SCAN

scantheman:
Just been reading one of Rob K’s old posts about delivering in London city centre and it’s put me off taking the job completely :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry:

SCAN

Scan, don’t be daft!!! I lived in London for 40 years… drove coaches, chauffeured and still take bigg’uns thro there!! Remember you will be hitting the City late in the evening when it is a bit quieter!

All you have to remember about London is DON’T GIVE WAY!!! TAKE AS MUCH ROAD SPACE AS YOU THINK YOU NEED!!! JUST KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE BLACK CABS LOLOL
If you need anymore info about working thro London, PM me :o)))

Scan dont let wild stories put you off…the market dont start to gell until about 8pm so all the rush hour traffic has gone…and farringdon road is pretty quiet even during the day…so london is really no more scary than any other city when its busy…take the job if it suits ya…and go for it…and i know …i`ve lived and worked here since they built the place :laughing: :laughing:
have a nice day

London is a fantastic place to drive. Don’t let people out you off. just remember to drive like there is no one else on the road. People will move out of your way, dont be tempted to move out of theirs. It’s like living in the jungle, they will spot the weakest animal and gang up on it. Just don’t let that weak animal be you.

I hate driving in London. Yes, I’m a wimp. :wink:

Someone else can do those jobs. They’re welcome to them.

Don’t listen to the horror stories.I’ve delivered on an off over 10 yrs into Smithfield and love the place.If you have a problem as you drive around,look for a traffic warden or policeman and the will get vans,cars etc moved so you can deliver to the nearest door to the stall you’re deliver to.There’s no hanging around either as they want you in and out as soon as possible.A bit of advice an old hand gave me when i first went there was get in early ,i.e.3-5 am as the idiots with the cars buying one joint of meat but blocking everthing up have yet to rise.Try it you either love it or loathe it.

use to go to the old smithfield market,loved it the atmosphere was brilliant.I presume they have moved to a new site ?.

I used to take a load (8 or 9 drops!!) to London from Corby every couple of months or so. it was in an artic and the load was quite heavy!

I agree with most of what has been said here; it is like a jungle and the weakest (or slowest/politest driver) will suffer! Having said that, I enjoyed it. Sometimes the long & easy runs got a bit ‘boring’ and a session of driving around London with an A-Z in one hand and ‘38 tonnes’ in the other soon balanced things out. By then I was ready for another few weeks of ‘long & easy’ runs!!