Smith & Robinson (Rothwell)

Hi all ex S & R Drivers, fitters and Staff, a re-union has been organised for the evening of 17th April 2012 at 7.0pm at the Old Halfway House, Rothwell. No food just drinks and great company with wives, partners and loved ones invited.
We already have 35+ peple attending and are looking forward to a great gathering of those who worked for the best road tanker company in the UK.
for further details contact me - email alanwalker12@sky.com or phone 07877 686886

Hi Alan

I did not work for S & R but used to contract them in when I ran the transport at Midland Oil in Ebbw Vale. Also did a Hazchem course with them in Leeds.What happened to them?

Alyn

I have put a link on Facebook for this, maybe some kid will tell his old Grandad about it

Hi Alan,
I would like to say thank you for my invite to the “S&R Reunion”, both Heather and I were made so welcome.
It was nice to go back in time to an age that taught me most of what I carried through the rest of my working days of the way to managing transport.

Smith & Robinson (S&R) were the best tanker company, if only the present day drivers & management could learn from S&R I don’t think the major companies, BP etc. would be able to have ridden and still are riding roughshod over good haulage companies and drivers as they do today.

The way S&R dealt with its own drivers committee and the way the drivers committee dealt with the management was a brilliant way to run transport. Drivers are better at putting rouge drivers in their place and who better to make sure a company runs profitable when drivers can share in the profitability of a company.

I look at transport today with its satellite navigation and its tracking devices and chuckle, thinking we could do all that years ago without the aid of technology, any good traffic operators should know where the fleet is at any time and S&R had the best.

S&R was backed by excellent workshops with the best trained staff along with good management. It was sad when it was taken over by a company that didn’t have a clue.
It tried to get one identity making all drivers the same when they clearly weren’t. Drivers need a depot identity and S&R encouraged that, but still managed a corporate identity.
Remember the saying “Where ever you go in the UK you will see a Smith & Robbie’s outfit.

Thanks again.
Derek Donovan.
Depot Manager
Smith & Robinson
Pyle Depot
South Wales.

I hope you got a good turnout of the drivers who are still with us. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at your reunion. I wouldn’t have been allowed in as I am nowt but a pup still. I may have been allowed to sit outside with a packet of crisps.

Wheel Nut aged 53 3/4

I did my Class three training at S&R when United Carriers were on Gildersome Spur and Burtons did cheap breakfasts for anyone. :stuck_out_tongue:

karvindon:
Hi Alan,
I would like to say thank you for my invite to the “S&R Reunion”, both Heather and I were made so welcome.
It was nice to go back in time to an age that taught me most of what I carried through the rest of my working days of the way to managing transport.

Smith & Robinson (S&R) were the best tanker company, if only the present day drivers & management could learn from S&R I don’t think the major companies, BP etc. would be able to have ridden and still are riding roughshod over good haulage companies and drivers as they do today.

The way S&R dealt with its own drivers committee and the way the drivers committee dealt with the management was a brilliant way to run transport. Drivers are better at putting rouge drivers in their place and who better to make sure a company runs profitable when drivers can share in the profitability of a company.

I look at transport today with its satellite navigation and its tracking devices and chuckle, thinking we could do all that years ago without the aid of technology, any good traffic operators should know where the fleet is at any time and S&R had the best.

S&R was backed by excellent workshops with the best trained staff along with good management. It was sad when it was taken over by a company that didn’t have a clue.
It tried to get one identity making all drivers the same when they clearly weren’t. Drivers need a depot identity and S&R encouraged that, but still managed a corporate identity.
Remember the saying “Where ever you go in the UK you will see a Smith & Robbie’s outfit.

Thanks again.
Derek Donovan.
Depot Manager
Smith & Robinson
Pyle Depot
South Wales.

Hargreaves?? My brother did his apprenticeship in S&R garage at Rothwell, he’s just retired after 40 with what is now VOSA. When ever there was a cargo pump job to do on a Wyatts tallow motor he got the job, they new he hated it, he WAS physically sick every time. :unamused: He still remembers those pumps.
S&R always had a good name and reputation in the industry.

heres a model i did a few years ago,did two,one for me and the other for geoff wilkinsons son.

Hope all thoughs that attended had a good time. Does anyone who attended know if a Mark Williams (Depot Engineer Rothwell) or a Mike Horlor (Fleet Engineer) were there and have you got any contact info.
I was Depot Engineer at the Brentwood depot in Essex.
Many thanks
Dave Bennett.

alanwalker:
Hi all ex S & R Drivers, fitters and Staff, a re-union has been organised for the evening of 17th April 2012 at 7.0pm at the Old Halfway House, Rothwell. No food just drinks and great company with wives, partners and loved ones invited.
We already have 35+ peple attending and are looking forward to a great gathering of those who worked for the best road tanker company in the UK.
for further details contact me - email alanwalker12@sky.com or phone 07877 686886

293061_4563186166311_20921260_n.jpg

That AEC looks like it’s seen some action, a fine old war horse, 1 wiper, small mirrors, bring your own ladder to get in. I can hear the 9.6 now. :smiley:

grumpy old man:
That AEC looks like it’s seen some action, a fine old war horse, 1 wiper, small mirrors, bring your own ladder to get in. I can hear the 9.6 now. :smiley:

my old mate dave lyles, his dad used to drive for them many years back.I think his first name was george.I remember us going over to manchester to pick him up when he had to leave his motor there over the weekend in his old consul 375

Do any of you remember this chap.
I worked along side him at Saltend for years, also Colin Wilky and Geoff Wilky, the there was Dave AKA Scoby Breasly because of his large size.

Geoff wilkinson was great fella and good friend as his three sons are, his son Trevor is his double.do you remember muffin man who went to work for bill ?

Jeremy Kyle’s most hated Guest.

hi all x smith & robbi drivers hope your all keeping well. nice to read all the comments i still keep in touch with quiet a few mick stobart ian smith who now lives in new zealand talk to him most weeks on skype, transport not like it used to be stand at side of road now for a lift and they run over u first rather than stop but i suppose thats change (different eara)