Smiles for Miles.

The car in the last photo looks interesting, Larry. Any idea what make it is?
Hi ROF,
I’ve had a look thro’ old car stuff and I’ll go for mid 1920s Bullnose Morris Tourer with dickie seat, note the step rear n/s mudguard, another similar model of that era was A Star Scorpio Tourer.
Great old photos Larry :smiley:
Oily

Chris Webb:

jmc jnr:

Chris Webb:

jmc jnr:
Great to see. What this site is all about. Jim.

Yes I agree Jim.I remember Smiles running AEC MK5 Mammoth Majors years ago.

Definitely Chris and I spent weeks in an old (even then ) Mk V - My favourite Wagon. 2700 VF and 2798VF both owned by the Wyatt brothers Ben and Johnny. Jim.

Were you driving 2700 VF in 1961 ish Jim,as it’s the one I had a lift in when in RAF.

Sorry Chris - I was born in 1950 and was but a trailer - mate at Wyatts. Jim
We might have met though - I hope so ! Jim

We seem to have major mechanical issues with one of the AEC (Y? types). Would that be two members of the black hand gang chatting to t’ guv’nor and his two lads who have come down to the yard for a treat on a Saturday morning?

Great photos /history Larry ,the ERF with the overhanging loads looks good thanks for posting them up cheers Dan’l :smiley:

Lawrence Dunbar:

What a cracking looking motor, Thanks for posting Larry,

Lawrence Dunbar:

I can presume the first photograph with the young gent sitting at the wheel is you starting a career in transport Lawrence ?.

shugg:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I can presume the first photograph with the young gent sitting at the wheel is you starting a career in transport Lawrence ?.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Of course not, Im only 83 These old photos are from my Great Uncle Isaac,s days, Plus I have a few more to post from this great old Newcastle upon Tyne haulage firm, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

shugg:

Lawrence Dunbar:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Of course not, Im only 83 These old photos are from my Great Uncle Isaac,s days, Plus I have a few more to post from this great old Newcastle upon Tyne haulage firm, Regards Larry.

I am fully aware Larry that you are still a slip of a boy , and are firing on all cylinders with some great photographs and information , for myself I can recall seeing Smiles motors in Leith many times , keep up the good work young man .

[attachment=0]Scan_20180916 (32).jpg[/attachment This is my great uncle Bob one of my late Grandads brothers, He allways looked smart & well turned out for work , It seems this was a Smiles thing as in my younger days during the war living with my Grandad Smiles he allways told me when you go out dressed allways wear a proper tie to match your shirt , Regards Larry.

Are they related to the Smiles in Sunderland Larry?

Lawrence Dunbar:

Well some years ago at a RHA Meeting I was introduced to Alex Smiles, And reckoned they were related but very distant wise, But none of my side of the Smiles family had never heard of this, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
This is the MK 5 RJR 349 That I drove, when I was in my late 20s, Happy Days, Regards Larry.

Scan_20180916 (33).jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:
1This is the MK 5 RJR 349 That I drove, when I was in my late 20s, Happy Days, Regards Larry.

That’s a nice line-up of my favourite wagon Larry,did they have the 690 and 6-speed box?

Chris Webb:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:
1This is the MK 5 RJR 349 That I drove, when I was in my late 20s, Happy Days, Regards Larry.

That’s a nice line-up of my favourite wagon Larry,did they have the 690 and 6-speed box?

Hi Chris, They had the 690 but only a 5 speed box with a trailing axle 37 mph, Regards Larry.

Mk 5 2.jpg