Smartphone Apps

Hi peeps - Having just fired up my first ever smartphone (htc One m8), im looking for any suggestions/hints & tips to get the most out of it. Ive kicked off by downloading trucker timer, as the general consensus seems to be that its pretty useful and worth the three pounds odd. Ive been using a 4-way salter kitchen timer which helps keep a track on things, but thought id give this app a go anyway. Any comments on other apps that you guys n gals use for work or entertainment purposes - plus any to avoid - would be much appreciated. Got the obvious ones like google maps/earth, youtube and such like, but theres got to be some good stuff out there that i`ve never heard of!!

XNXX.Com :wink:

There may be a timer & alarm on the phone that you can use. Don’t forget to take your plug in charger with you , but check it works from the truck plug in. I had an HTC wildfire a few years ago but for some reason if wouldn’t charge in the truck , & mine wasn’t the only one doing this at the time. Maybe yours is ok being more updated. Or you could get a spare battery off eeebay as a back up.

Look for the free apps on play store, there’s loads of games
What’s app is handy free for the first year & something like 69p per year after, for texting & sending photos.
You can put trucknet, face book , eBay etc just to name a few to pass the time.
You can install Agv antivirus for mobile phones free ,
Some apps cause problems, you can uninstall them if they become a problem.
Enjoy your new phone

Ive downloaded a time calculator as well. Makes working out driver hours so much simpler when you can add in hours and minutes without having to convert all the excess minutes.
Whatsapp is good but no longer free. You can still use Viber for free (although very advert heavy now) or Facebook messenger.
Tapatalk will let you use forums like trucknet without using too much data if you’re on a limited plan.

I’ve got one called JamCam, lets you view real time traffic cams.
I’ve also got one called Showbox, it lets you watch all the latest movies either on your network or you can download via WiFi. You have to download it from the website and allow your phone to install from unknown sources though.

m1cks:
Ive downloaded a time calculator as well. Makes working out driver hours so much simpler when you can add in hours and minutes without having to convert all the excess minutes.
Whatsapp is good but no longer free. .

I still use it but dont pay for it

‘Waze’ for real time traffic info on your route.
‘Highways’ for delays & road closures.
& of course all the banks have apps to keep an eye on you cash.

Also the Moto app if you ever use the services there. you get daily discount vouchers

chaversdad:

m1cks:
Whatsapp is good but no longer free. .

I still use it but dont pay for it

I just reinstalled what’s app onto my new phone two weeks ago and it showed up on installation it was free, and after the 12 months something like 69p a year shows it on the app as it’s been in installed :smiley:

I am playing with a couple of apps at the moment Tachoguard keeps an eye on your driving hours rests and WTD, Auto otherwork/driving using GPS but I wouldn’t take it to the wire as lags behind the tachograph by a few minutes (probably not a problem for a long distance driver but I do lots of short trips)

The other is dailyroads voyager a dashcam if you review a recording you can see the route and position on a google map.

Just a bit of fun for me as I rarely even go over 4.5 hours driving but it warns of WTD breaks and the dash cam that shows my the nutters that drive the school buses on the very narrow roads where I work and have smashed my rear view mirrors a couple of times :imp:

Quite like Soundhound for telling you the name and singer of that piece of music that you are racking your brain to recall

Some of the tachograph apps don’t log the full minute either side of break or rest , so be careful you don’t get caught out on that one .

If you’ve got a decent data allowance, try tunein. It let’s you listen to internet radio stations from all over the world. I listen to abacus.FM and British comedy channel, which has some of the classic older radio comedies, as well as the newer ones on it.

3Giga probably not enough to stream all day will have a look

To bonnie lass
The tachoguard i have been playing with is seriously inacurate in auto movement. I have set the speed detect to 2kph today today tacho said 4.05 app said 3.35!! Not overly impressive. Can’t see for the moment why there is such a big difference. Going to try to use in manual next week to see if it performs better

Tim85:
To bonnie lass
The tachoguard i have been playing with is seriously inacurate in auto movement. I have set the speed detect to 2kph today today tacho said 4.05 app said 3.35!! Not overly impressive. Can’t see for the moment why there is such a big difference. Going to try to use in manual next week to see if it performs better

Hi Tim , I wouldn’t be impressed with that either! it’s probably easier to use the timer on your phone for breaks, & more reliable

Hey ■■■■■■■, how are you getting on with all these apps you’re trying out? :smiley:

Grinder is good I hear…

Hiya Bonnie Lass!
I think im gonna need a bigger data allowance with all the suggestions posted on here (thanks to everyone, btw). Kicked off with an EE payg package with 4gb per month which is tetherable (is that even a word?), but now looking at pay monthly contract for pretty much the same dollar which gives 10gb - no brainer really. Still playing with the million and one things this amazing gadget can do, and now wrestling with the bluetooth aspect to see what tricks that holds! Now ive got to link it to my snooper truckmate, so thatll keep me busy for a few hours! Lovin all the global radio stuff, real-time traffic cams/roadworks/accidents notifications etc. So much more info than a standalone satnav, plus not having to rely on dubious postcodes, addresses and contact numbers as supplied by the T.O`s.

All in all, well worth the hard-earned - and for any other dinosaurs like me out there - GET ONE!!!,

F-reds - :open_mouth: careful…you`ll find yourself biting off more than you can chew…if you catch my drift! :grimacing:

■■■■■■■:
Hiya Bonnie Lass!
I think im gonna need a bigger data allowance with all the suggestions posted on here (thanks to everyone, btw). Kicked off with an EE payg package with 4gb per month which is tetherable (is that even a word?), but now looking at pay monthly contract for pretty much the same dollar which gives 10gb - no brainer really. Still playing with the million and one things this amazing gadget can do, and now wrestling with the bluetooth aspect to see what tricks that holds! Now ive got to link it to my snooper truckmate, so thatll keep me busy for a few hours! Lovin all the global radio stuff, real-time traffic cams/roadworks/accidents notifications etc. So much more info than a standalone satnav, plus not having to rely on dubious postcodes, addresses and contact numbers as supplied by the T.O`s.

All in all, well worth the hard-earned - and for any other dinosaurs like me out there - GET ONE!!!,

F-reds - :open_mouth: careful…you`ll find yourself biting off more than you can chew…if you catch my drift! :grimacing:

Hiya ■■■■■■■, sounds like your having a lot of fun with your new phone , you’ll soon be a confirmed gadget geek !! lol :smiley:

I have mine on EE 4gb contract , it does for what I want without going over my budget. Signal is not as good as on my note 2 though. Be careful as some of the apps have bugs , did you put anti virus for the Internet on it?
It’s amazing just what you can do with it, and hours of entertainment :smiley: :smiley: