Smart Recruitment

derbytelegraph.co.uk/Arrests … story.html

underpaying workers and not paying pensions.

I have done work for Smart Recruitment in the past (another branch) and never had any real problems with them. They paid the rates they quoted and my money was right every week.

However this does raise an interesting question as regards pensions. Agency workers by definition are temps, so how could they ever be offered workplace pensions when continuity of work is not guaranteed?

Where some workers end up getting underpaid through agencies sometimes, is with some of the Mickey Mouse umbrella or travel and subsistence schemes out there that depend on salary sacrifice. An offshoot of which could be they don’t earn enough income to build up a pension qualifying year for a state pension.

Shysters with the worst reputation going :open_mouth:

The Derby office/HQ are complete buttplugs, see you in court are their payment terms :unamused:

They got that office smashed up last year [IIRC] by an irate Pole…#nuffsaid

Pensions charged to irregular earnings are just another “Umbrella” scheme designed to scrape two year’s of front-loaded pension commissions out of the temporary workforce.
They CAN be opted out of however - and should be by all.

If you work 2 years at one agency, then change agencies every two years for the next 20 years say, - you’re entire pension contributions at the end of that time will amount to precisely NOTHING - assuming that each different agency worked for has a “different” pension system attached to it. There are as least as many pension systems than there are Umbrella outfits btw, and like umbrella firms - they are there to extract commissions out of hapless temporary workforces in a similar manner AND with the government’s blessing. :angry:

liberty as an agency worker you still get opted into the pension scheme.

and Stanley I totally agree.

best thing is they have a national recruitment manager which is great when you don’t have national coverage and I bet the firms who use their drivers are so pleased to be tied into these guys.

winseer - almost every agency I know offers the nest pension so it will all end up in the same pot. the whole pension scheme is nothing short of wrong unless you have a private pension.

war1974:

I have never been opted into any pension scheme through agencies, nor ever had any deductions for one. I always ensure I am paid PAYE and don’t partake in any travel schemes or other such nonsense. It doesn’t make me bulletproof, but limits any potential damage.

Some of the worst agencies I have found, are the larger national chains that either try to push you onto umbrella schemes, or have identical vacancies advertised, word for word in multiple branches that you know are just fictitious.

LIBERTY_GUY:

war1974:

I have never been opted into any pension scheme through agencies, nor ever had any deductions for one. I always ensure I am paid PAYE and don’t partake in any travel schemes or other such nonsense. It doesn’t make me bulletproof, but limits any potential damage.

Some of the worst agencies I have found, are the larger national chains that either try to push you onto umbrella schemes, or have identical vacancies advertised, word for word in multiple branches that you know are just fictitious.

there are 2 main nationals that I know try to force you onto these schemes - and any decent one will offer a driver the choice (actually now any umbrella scheme basically sets you up as a ltd company in any case).

This doesn’t surprise me they deserve it ! As of others have said there reputation goes ahead of them I never had any trouble with money but know a lot who have ! And there reputation goes ahead of them in the Derby area there favourite trick use to be advertising a job at 1 rate then paying another ! No wonder they’ve been advertising like hell of late and badging people to work for them vier txt and phone calls .

Greggo:
This doesn’t surprise me they deserve it ! As of others have said there reputation goes ahead of them I never had any trouble with money but know a lot who have ! And there reputation goes ahead of them in the Derby area there favourite trick use to be advertising a job at 1 rate then paying another ! No wonder they’ve been advertising like hell of late and badging people to work for them vier txt and phone calls .

They were that desperate Greggo, they were pestering drivers who had took them to court FFS :open_mouth: :unamused:

#awful

Karma, the guy at Nottingham branch complete anchor

which one minger they offered me a job a job about 3 weeks ago and got quite upset when I said they couldn’t afford me. turns out I was correct :smiley:

They texted me ‘out of the blue today’, to see if I was interested in a days work. Had to politely decline, as not sure how all this situation would actually affect me getting paid. I did read however that all those arrested have now been bailed, so hopefully someone will still able to authorise the payments. Rather someone else ‘test the water’ first though. :wink:

war1974:

and Stanley I totally agree.

best thing is they have a national recruitment manager which is great when you don’t have national coverage and I bet the firms who use their drivers are so pleased to be tied into these guys.

winseer - almost every agency I know offers the nest pension so it will all end up in the same pot. the whole pension scheme is nothing short of wrong unless you have a private pension.

I got “auto enrolled” into one called NOW - and I demanded that I be taken straight out of it, and contributions made thus far be refunded. I’ve already got a paid-up pension, so the tax reliefs on another one would not be firing on all thrusters… I did get my refund though - so credit where credit is due for not mucking me about over the issue. :neutral_face: