Smart Motorways?

Not sure if Im posting this in the correct place but what the hell are these smart motorways all about. I use the M62 every morning and every night and its a joke . Overhead speed limits with live cameras everywhere. I normally get on the M62 around 05.45 (in my car) to be greeted by a 60mph speed limit sign ,the motorway is almost deserted . Cars pass then brake when they get to the cameras then accelerate once they pass . At around 18.00 Im going in the opposite direction and now the speed limit is 40 mph and virtually at a standstill . The speed limit is the problem ,if they turned the speed signs off the problem would virtually disappear . Even on a Saturday and Sunday morning when its very quiet they have the limits up ,it just causes chaos but no doubt they will quote health n safety . It`s more like a money box

Complete bollux

Remember that the M62 passes through Yorkshire: they have their own way of doing things. There is a rumour circulating that Yorkshire is going to learn how to play cricket in the near future but I’m not holding my breath!

Signed, Disgruntled Gloucestershire Supporter.

Northamptonshire section between 16 and 17 is now open.
Lovely surface, completely unlit, won’t that be fun when a car breaks down with total electrical failure at 2am and comes to a stop in the now live inside lane :open_mouth:

What its all about is a sticking plaster to cope temporarily with the massively increased volumes of traffic due for no other reason that unlimited and still increasing immigration, the population has to be serviced, we no longer have local industries nor local food production, so large scale logistics it is especially on the routes servicing the ports where our ridiculous dependence on imports travels.
By the time they’ve completed all the smart motorway works the population will have increased another 10/20% + illegals, and we’ll be back to square one and going backwards, except that we no longer have a place of refuge on the motorway which the hard shoulder was.

But not to worry, the chances of anyone important being a victim cleaned up by a 44 tonner on the now live lane is slim, it’ll usually be us proles of no consequence…move along now nothing to see here :unamused:

I’ve had three instances on the M6 elevated sections of coming upon cars stopped in the live running lane, even in broad daylight at 50mph its quite shocking how quickly you close on said vehicle, and pray tell me where exactly you are supposed to hide safely on the elevated section should you break down in a car…or is a parachute to be standard issue

It’s part of a combined agenda of reducing the attraction of road journeys and a change in the object of motorways from moving traffic at high speed to moving as much traffic as possible as slowly as possible to supposedly maximise road capacity.At which point motorways totally lose their relevance as a viable credible asset and become a liability to their users. :bulb:

Not sure about that , I think its more like over zealous H & S conscious people who dont use common sense when designing ,planning and operating these motorways , turn the speed limit signs off and turn on traffic queues ahead signs and see if the majority of drivers can cope :wink:

I don’t think the problem with the speed limit lies so much with the matrix signs as much as it does with the ■■■■■ who seem to think that the speed limit only applies as they pass within range of the camera. It is the concertina effect of the constant speeding up and slowing down which causes the delay. You only have to be at the end of a queue of cars following a lorry which is doing a constant 40 mph along an A road to witness that people are incapable of maintaining a steady following speed.

cav551:
I don’t think the problem with the speed limit lies so much with the matrix signs as much as it does with the [zb] who seem to think that the speed limit only applies as they pass within range of the camera. It is the concertina effect of the constant speeding up and slowing down which causes the delay. You only have to be at the end of a queue of cars following a lorry which is doing a constant 40 mph along an A road to witness that people are incapable of maintaining a steady following speed.

The 60mph speed limit isn`t necessary at 5.45 am and they have the same limits on Saturday and Sundays when the roads are virtually empty , the biggest problem should have been sorted when they were planning the ■■■■ thing . The M606 slip road off on the west bound is exited from the hard shoulder whereas the junction before has 2 slip road exits . The inside lane comes to a virtual standstill because everyones trying to get on the hard shoulder causing more chaos whereas a second slip would eradicate the problem, I wonder how much they get paid to cause these problems ?

I read that these 'Smart motorways are being equipped with average speed cameras that can check your journey as you join & leave the motorway and calculate your speed, The drivers that speed then slow down as they pass the camera are going to be in for a rude awakening some time soon.

on the ‘smart motorway’ :unamused: section of the M1 near Trowell services,a collision between a tanker and a car this afternoon.car t-boned and some poor soul lying on the floor :frowning:
the ever changing speed limits do my head in…50…40…60…40 ffs make your mind up :imp:

carryfast-yeti:
on the ‘smart motorway’ :unamused: section of the M1 near Trowell services,a collision between a tanker and a car this afternoon.car t-boned and some poor soul lying on the floor :frowning:
the ever changing speed limits do my head in…50…40…60…40 ffs make your mind up :imp:

Money boxes

carryfast-yeti:

Blimey a lot of people have found out just how ‘Smart’ these smart motorways are with these average speed cameras :open_mouth: More than 35,000 motorists have been caught by variable speed cameras on the M4 alone since they were switched on a year ago – with nearly £1m raised in fines.

walesonline.co.uk/news/wales … yandex.com

I wonder what the figure is nationwide on these smart motorways?

What we need is some smart planning for roadworks. This afternoon I had cause to go to our yard to check if a unit had returned from servicing. The yard is very near to the Trafford Centre and the roads in Trafford Park are a nightmare because of the Metrolink extension into Trafford Park, (Why I hear you ask should anyone want to go to T. Park on a tram? No, me neither). The place was absolutely gridlocked at 1.30 pm Sunday afternoon. Believe it or believe not it took me 40 minutes, yes 40 minutes, to get one mile from our yard back to the M60. Not helped by drivers clogging up roundabout exits when it was patently obvious that the road they were trying turn on to was blocked solid. Is it me or are driving standards in this country getting worse by the day? Rant over.

Juddian:
Northamptonshire section between 16 and 17 is now open.
Lovely surface, completely unlit, won’t that be fun when a car breaks down with total electrical failure at 2am and comes to a stop in the now live inside lane :open_mouth:

What its all about is a sticking plaster to cope temporarily with the massively increased volumes of traffic due for no other reason that unlimited and still increasing immigration, the population has to be serviced, we no longer have local industries nor local food production, so large scale logistics it is especially on the routes servicing the ports where our ridiculous dependence on imports travels.
By the time they’ve completed all the smart motorway works the population will have increased another 10/20% + illegals, and we’ll be back to square one and going backwards, except that we no longer have a place of refuge on the motorway which the hard shoulder was.

But not to worry, the chances of anyone important being a victim cleaned up by a 44 tonner on the now live lane is slim, it’ll usually be us proles of no consequence…move along now nothing to see here :unamused:

I’ve had three instances on the M6 elevated sections of coming upon cars stopped in the live running lane, even in broad daylight at 50mph its quite shocking how quickly you close on said vehicle, and pray tell me where exactly you are supposed to hide safely on the elevated section should you break down in a car…or is a parachute to be standard issue

That explains why my driver was doing nearly 60 towards the red lion when I looked on the tracker :unamused: