Smart Motorways - Getting Fine from a 50 in a 40 on M42

Towing a loaded double - about 1am - I’m doing the merge on the M42 (as it combines with M6 Toll). It’s dead, no roadworks or anything on M42.
Gantry on motorway I’m merging into changes to 40 - I have like 3 seconds to react - it was blank before! I’m doing like 54mph! Get flashed for 50 in a 40!
There was absolutely no chance I could have safely slowed down.

Got the NiP and sent it off admitting - yeah, it was me. I believe you get a chance to dispute it or likely get offered a Speeding Course?
But this is such BS! Literal entrapment, I couldn’t have done anything to avoid it! Cherry on top - no further signs afterward!!! - There was nothing to require this sign!

I’d like to dispute it, but that’d mean I lose the course option and could get a double fine? - I know I did nothing wrong, but they’ll pull the ‘professional driver’ card, need to see the future.

Any advice? Anyone had similar experiences?

I’m not a traffic…

Solicitor. Have you got dashcam footage? That would really help any case you may have going forward.

I agree, the whole thing ■■■■■.

You fight and you stand the chance of being worse off for doing so.

The system is designed so that you drop your keks at the first accusation.

yourhavingalarf:
I’m not a traffic…

Solicitor. Have you got dashcam footage? That would really help any case you may have going forward.

I agree, the whole thing ■■■■■.

You fight and you stand the chance of being worse off for doing so.

The system is designed so that you drop your keks at the first accusation.

No dashcam unfortunately - starting to really see the value in these now.

From some research, I think I can request from the local authority (who runs these cameras in the area) the exact times limits were imposed and reasons why.
So I could evidence the split second change and unrealism of abiding by it! But this requires a literal court appeal.

If you look at the photo in this thread.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=174316
It states the time that the limit has been displayed.
I’m not saying that it won’t be broken and say some lies, but if you can get a copy of the evidence against you it might confirm what you say.

I was lead to believe that when a speed gantry lowers its speed limit it cannot do you for 1 minute after the new lower speed has been set, not only that how can it go from National speed limit (70) to 40 I thought it could only be lowered in increments of 20 mph so from 70 to 50 then 40 on the next gantry.

As above ^^^^ I’ve never seen an NSL section go straight to 40mph without prior incremental changes from 60 to 50 to 40.

Exact same thing happened to me. Same place. Was doing 50 at 2am all lanes open with no other traffic all. Gantry sign went from 50 to 40 as I was almost underneath it. I eased off the cruise control to safely reduce my speed to 40 as I was just under 44 Ton. I got flashed and recorded doing 48mph. I’m taking the speed awareness course rather than the 3 points and fine coz if I challenge it they’re bound to bend me over and make it worse! its a scam. there was absolutely no need for the change in speed and like the OP the speed went back up to National Speed Limit straight after.

bald bloke:
I was lead to believe that when a speed gantry lowers its speed limit it cannot do you for 1 minute after the new lower speed has been set, not only that how can it go from National speed limit (70) to 40 I thought it could only be lowered in increments of 20 mph so from 70 to 50 then 40 on the next gantry.

I’m sure I’ve seen numerous examples of a 40 mph variable limit being imposed from NSL with no reduction to 50 mph between especially on the M25, even if it was ‘only’ a 20mph drop it would still be a moot point.
I don’t trust any of the supposed ‘allowances’ including 10% +1 mph even staying within the 10% is a calculated risk.
While I’ve seen a few examples of gantries switching from 70 mph to these stupidy low limits when very close to them.My general reaction is to wipe off as much speed as possible in the hope of getting inside the 10% margin before passing the camera and it has time to flash twice.Obviously a lot easier with some good car brakes than an artic.
If the OP gets done on such a travesty it’s obviously a recipe for a jackknife or pile up incidents caused by drivers trying to avoid getting nicked.Smart motorways indeed.

bald bloke:

Smart motorways can do increments of up to 20 by themselves, but can be manually changed by someone in the control room to whatever they want. So if you see a vague “reported congestion ahead” or “reports of obstruction” and a 70-60-50-40 then thats automated. But if something is spotted on CCTV that warrants it, the control room can close lanes/put in lower speed limits instantly.

Also yes there is a grace period between the speed changing and the cameras flashing people, cant remember what it was though, a minute or two sounds about right.

Or so I was told on my last speed awareness course for not paying attention on a smart motorway and missing the change from 50 to 40 and still having cruise control on 50. Fair cop guv, but doubly annoying that I thought I was obeying the limit or at least trying to :laughing:

thisismoney.co.uk/money/car … imits.html
Well someone is telling porkies, is it highways england or is it the posters who say that it changed when they passed under it :grimacing:

don’t know if its my eyesight but I struggle to see the change from 60 to 50 in the daylight sometimes and can get caught out with a last minute harsh brake

I’ve learnt where most of the camera’d gantries are on the m25 so know which ones you can ignore and which ones you need to obey lol

PA22:
I’ve learnt where most of the camera’d gantries are on the m25 so know which ones you can ignore and which ones you need to obey lol

It’s not just gantries there are numerous different types varying from the Gatso flash type.
Or mobile laser cameras in parked vehicles or hand held on bridges and slip roads which operate at a massive range.
Or specs type average speed cameras covering large sections.
The 40 and 50 limits are just part of a weaponised speed regime to create maximum revenues and road use rationing by loss of licence.By artificially increasing the level of the offence when it inevitably happens and is detected especially in the case of the 70 mph limit.In most cases the M25 is a pointless route because in most cases it’s just as quick if not quicker to use the old pre M25 routes around London.With the win win of big fuel savings in the relative distances let alone the chance of being stuck for hours between junctions.