Smart motorways (again)

So I’m on the M60 late last night and in front of me are about 5 trucks being driven by professional drivers. All 5 totally bunched up together in lane 1, non would be able to stop if the front one hit the anchors. Next thing the overhead signs go to 50, clearly the sensors had picked up congestion due to them all being so bunched up.

Then everyone for the next 5 minutes will be coming past on a clear motorway maybe getting flashed and moaning it’s all money making, when actually 5 professional drivers bunched up together more than likely triggered the sensors.

It’s called platooning,the roads in this country are not quite ready for it,but hay the future looks good

Did you not report them to the police/their company/traffic commissioner for this horrific miscarriage of justice?

toonsy:
Did you not report them to the police/their company/traffic commissioner for this horrific miscarriage of justice?

Probley no safe place to pull over and use the phone

I remember breaking down on the m25 Heathrow with my wife and young son, that was scary enough, the thought of breaking down with five artics coming up behind me in my lane, it’s unthinkable, I think it’s a disgrace to allow it. The other thing, if you look along side the motorway, there’s nearly always that bit of waste ground that’s not serving any purpose, why can’t they turn into a hard shoulder…

toonsy:

He has them on speed dial.Being an x copper and all that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

toonsy:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
isnt it funny how the vast majority of all the wazzocks in here are ex something or other? :unamused:

It’s funny how it’s you lot who moan about it being purely a money making exercise on these smart motorways. I’m just telling you I saw exactly why the reduced limit went on.

dieseldog999:

daftvader:

toonsy:

isnt it funny how the vast majority of all the wazzocks in here are ex something or other? :unamused:

I’m ex SAS as if you didn’t know

DickyNick:
It’s funny how it’s you lot who moan about it being purely a money making exercise on these smart motorways. I’m just telling you I saw exactly why the reduced limit went on.

Thanks I’ll bear that in mind next time I’m platooning

DickyNick:

And you know that for a fact, do you?

Did you call every authority involved and confirm that it was 5 trucks that put the signs up?

No, you didn’t. You saw a non event and decided to moan on the internet because you are a gigantic helmet.

Here…

We go.

TheUncaringCowboy:

DickyNick:

And you know that for a fact, do you?

Did you call every authority involved and confirm that it was 5 trucks that put the signs up?

No, you didn’t. You saw a non event and decided to moan on the internet because you are a gigantic helmet.

Well next time you moan about the speed limit being set for “no reason”. I think it’s a reasonable guess.

Gigantic helmet hahahahahahaha someone called me a name. Well done.

[/quote]
You are so right-personally I’m ex-enthusiastic about the job but it has taken 47 years to get here.

Beau Nydel:

You are so right-personally I’m ex-enthusiastic about the job but it has taken 47 years to get here.

I like that. I’m ex-willing :laughing:

dieseldog999:

Don’t worry, you’re still a bell end instead of an ex-bell end.

They don’t work like that,when traffic gathers in one place the speed limit changes 1 or 2 miles behind which spreads the traffic flow approaching the build up to assist the clearing of congestion …what you saw didn’t cause the speed limit to change where you are.

xichrisxi:
They don’t work like that,when traffic gathers in one place the sped limit changes 1 or 2 miles behind which spreads the traffic flow…what you saw didn’t cause the slopes limit to change where you are.

Didn’t someone on here explain in great detail how these things are supposed to work.

My guess is the OP either made up a story for an excuse to slag off lorry drivers or saw two unrelated things and joined them together in order to slag off lorry drivers.

Nite Owl:

xichrisxi:
They don’t work like that,when traffic gathers in one place the sped limit changes 1 or 2 miles behind which spreads the traffic flow…what you saw didn’t cause the slopes limit to change where you are.

Didn’t someone on here explain in great detail how these things are supposed to work.

My guess is the OP either made up a story for an excuse to slag off lorry drivers or saw two unrelated things and joined them together in order to slag off lorry drivers.

Quite possibly,it never fails to astound me on here how many people are against smart motorways…maybe the “smart” part makes them feel inferior :laughing:
People need to actually read up on them and why they do and don’t do instead of making assumptions and they actually realise that they are a good thing

Quite possibly,it never fails to astound me on here how many people are against smart motorways…maybe the “smart” part makes them feel inferior :laughing:
People need to actually read up on them and why they do and don’t do instead of making assumptions and they actually realise that they are a good thing
[/quote]
How can they be a good thing when they remove the hard shoulder?
1 Nowhere to go when you break down.
2 Nowhere to go when you need a ■■■■ (we are an ageing industry you know)!